PDA

View Full Version : How much of a good thing????????

Lee S. Forsberg
06-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Found lots of good lube recipes here and it looks like they work for someone in their situation. The question I have is how much lube is needed? I've heard everything from "fill every groove on the bullet" to "just roll them around in a little Moly and call it good". I propose two situations #1 short barrels, 2" to 10" low velocity gallery loads on the order of 300-1000ft/sec. Either PB or Gas-checked. #2 Rifle length barrels, 16" to 30"
gas- check only. Rifle velocity 1200-2300ft/sec. All bullets with good fit to their barrels.
So what I'm asking is how much of what to obtain good accuracy without leading?

btroj
06-24-2012, 05:27 PM
In general, the lower the pressure the less lube you need. That is a very general concept.

My suggestion is to experiment and see what your gun likes. Start with one lube groove filled and see how it goes.

The lube used also makes a difference. As will the alloy. It is about balance of all this involved. I inks better lube, like FWFL needs less lube than a hard, commercial type lube.

geargnasher
06-24-2012, 06:14 PM
The only way you'll know is to experiment with your particular guns and components and find the best for each. You're trying to define some generalities where I don't believe they exist.

The only generality I can say is true much (but not all) of the time is that with rifles, the least amount of any given lube you can get by with using is usually the most accurate as far as lube alone is concerned with accuracy.

Gear