PDA

View Full Version : Shotshell reloader recommendations?

patsher
06-24-2012, 04:36 PM
I used to have a .410 Lee Loader for shotgun shells, but can't find it anymore. So I'm in the market again. Also something to load 20 ga.

Anybody have any opinions about brand of shotshell loading equipment?

Thanks!

Pat

rda72927
06-24-2012, 07:40 PM
I have only loaded for 12ga. I am well sure I have loaded 15,000+ on a MEC 600 Jr Mark IV over the last 20 years. Added a primer feed when purchased. It is a simple press, but haved never had to replace any parts.

r1kk1
06-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Ponsness Warren 375c swap tool heads and most tool heads will hold two gauges. Easily go from 2" hulls to 3-1/2" hulls. Load lead, steel, or any nontoxic shot without the need of a conversion. Use anyone's powder bushings - hornady, RCBS, and even mec with a 8.00 bushing adapter. Go from 1/2" shot - 2-1/4 oz shot and whiz white will make custom shot bushings for under 10.00.

Shell is held in a die from start to finish to help prevent buckling of hulls when crimping, etc.

Nothing against mecs. They are a bear to change gauges on.

Take care

r1kk1

OverMax
06-25-2012, 01:13 AM
Mec Sizemaster for each gauge is a great way to go. Otherwise Jr's are good too. If you shoot allot it pays to have separate press's. If not, one press is will get you by. Changing to different gauges takes time for most to lean. But only until you become proficient at it. Then it's a snap. I have two Mec's myself. Sizemaster in 12 and a Jr. in 410. Haven't wished for anything else since. Check out Ballistic Products located in Corcoran, MN. They have everything you'll ever need for reloading shot shells. Excellent one on one support too. Get yourself added to their email & catalog listing and read what their Curmudgeon has to say. Can't go wrong doing that.

UNIQUEDOT
06-25-2012, 02:14 AM
I use a mec sizemaster and several Lee load all presses. I've had 600 jr's too and they're good presses, but if i were to buy a new press today i would choose a Ponsness Warren over mec for heavy duty use since mec has gone to putting a lot of plastic on their presses and they sell for twice what the ones like mine with all heavy duty steel dies/brass starters sold for. If you choose mec I'd suggest looking for older used presses with steel dies.

floydboy
06-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Totally depends on how much you shoot. I have Mec sizemaster and am very happy with it. I have used 600 Jrs and the sizemaster is a much better way to go for the money. Mecs will last longer than you will. Easy to set up and maintain. Are the most popular press out there which means you can find tons of new/used parts on Ebay or yard sales. Used Mecs are cheap enough it is usually cheaper to just buy a press for every gauge than buy the dies to change out on more expensive presses. Sounds like you are a low volumn shooter and if so the sizemaster will do fine.

Hardcast416taylor
06-26-2012, 01:47 PM
I can`t begin to guess how many 20 gauge and 12 gauge shells I have loaded on my Mec 700 VersaMec (AKA Mec 600) since I bought it new when they first introduced it many years back. In other words, buy a Mec and you`ll not regret it.Robert

W.R.Buchanan
06-26-2012, 02:12 PM
I have to go along with the others on this one. I have a Pacific DL266, a Pacific DL366, and a Spolar.

I can load a shell every 4 seconds with the Spolar. About 10 seconds with the DL366, and 30 seconds with the DL266 which time wise will be comparable to the MEC's.

If you are not going to load a bazillion shells a month to support a serious Trap or Skeet habit then the MEC's are the the simplest way to go, they are readily available from many sources like Midway, and they are just good tools.

If you are planning on loading like, 300-500 a month then one of the progressives is the way to go. The most common of the progressives is the Hornaday /Pacific DL366 also available from Midway and many other places.

There are certainly other good brands of shotshell loaders on the market RCBS, Dillon, Ponsness/Warren to name a few, and all are good machines.

The main difference is the amount of time you will spend reloading hulls. Any single stage can comfortably load 4 boxes of shells per hour. My Spolar can comfortably load 30 boxes and hour, and if someone else is topping up the primers, shot and powder so you don't have to stop what you're doing, more like 40 boxes per hour.

The MEC is $170, the Spolar is more like $1700.

Speed costs money,,, how fast do you want to go?

Randy

Firebricker
06-27-2012, 12:07 AM
W.R.Buchanan's post is on the money IMO. I think Mec is the most bang for the buck. I have a sizemaster and a 9000g and am happy with both but would love to have a spolar or a Ponsness Warren dedicated to trap and skeet loads. FB

gnoahhh
06-27-2012, 12:28 PM
+2 on W.R.'s analysis. When I was burning through 4-500 shells per week shooting in trap leagues and feeding a skeet and SC addiction on the side, my machine was a PW for 12 gauge and MEC 650's for the 20's and 28's. Now that I have cut way back, I find a row of simple 600's set up on the bench serves me well. When I have the need to run up a pile of 12's I go over to my buddy's house and fire up his hydraulic Spolar. What a wonderful machine.

I use a Lee Load-All for the 16 gauge. For loading the ½ dozen boxes or so a year that I need, it works fine.

9-toes
06-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Came into possession of a brand new MEC 410. Still in its box. Thought I was going to load 410 but something else caught my eye.