PDA

View Full Version : I like my Ruger Old Army but...

omgb
06-24-2012, 01:59 PM
I hate the dang nipples that came with it. The idea that the hamer never touches the nipple so that one can dry fire looks good on paper but translates to a misfire if every nipple is not just perfect. Argh! So, try finding replacement nipples. Not easy. Track of the Wolf has them in stainless but not in ampco. Dixie is all out. I also tried a few others as well. Forget Ruger, the gun is no longer supported. Very frustrating indeed.:killingpc

tek4260
06-24-2012, 02:40 PM
What if you made or found some thin shim to place under the nipples? That would, in effect lengthen them.

omgb
06-24-2012, 07:39 PM
That thought had occured to me. I just wanted a less labor-intensive solution.

canyon-ghost
06-24-2012, 07:52 PM
You need to update to a New Model Blackhawk? Lol. Come on, smokeless can be fun too.

Deacon Stone
06-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Call this number 580-873-2663 Brisco owns Cowboy Shooter supply and has the Ampco nipples. Brisco and I both shoot ever weekend competitevly with the Ruger Old Army's and these are the nipples we use. Use them with Remington #10 caps and you will never have a problem. The only time I had a problem was when I was dryfiring and ruined the nipples. Now I remove the nipples and dryfire them that way. I will mention that Brisco is at the SASS world championship this weekend and will be back in a couple of days. PS He also sell the Remington #10 caps the cheapest in the USA. if you have any questions let me know.

Don't get frustrated these are the best Cap and Ball guns ever and a blast to shoot.
:Fire::Fire::Fire:

Deacon Stone

edsmith
06-24-2012, 09:48 PM
I got one of those conversion cyls. for mine. love it, it does take awhile to load.:bigsmyl2:

Lefty SRH
06-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Which ROA is giving you problems?

EdS
06-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Brownells also carries replacement nipples. They cured misfires in my ROA. -Ed