PDA

View Full Version : Back Of The Barrel

Good Cheer
06-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Always used the pump-o-scrub cleaning method and pretty much made do with the harder to clean different style breeches. Well, was rummaging around yesterday looking for parts to put together a back of the barrel breech blaster. Got some 3/8"x1/4" bore brass tubing in the zepplin (the work shop is one of those galvalume ribbed buildings that looks like an airship made a bad landing) and the end off of an old hose to cobble together with some epoxy. Now I'm starting to wonder about how to attach a female thread to tale a brush and have a positive pressure flush during cleaning. Maybe have a few feet of limber plastic tubing going from the yard hose to the assembly.

This is starting to sound like I might need a slicker suit to use it. Gonna keep thinking about it. Need more coffee.

ml45
06-25-2012, 09:33 PM
yep them pattent breaches suck to clean . Makes a good case for T7 cleans up with hot water . In the old days 1840 on they did what was called scouping . Bored to bore dia. for what the builder felt was deep enough and they experimented with shape at bottom . The idea was to cut down on fuse effect to main charge . Even back then the gun nuts were at it

wgr
06-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Always used the pump-o-scrub cleaning method and pretty much made do with the harder to clean different style breeches. Well, was rummaging around yesterday looking for parts to put together a back of the barrel breech blaster. Got some 3/8"x1/4" bore brass tubing in the zepplin (the work shop is one of those galvalume ribbed buildings that looks like an airship made a bad landing) and the end off of an old hose to cobble together with some epoxy. Now I'm starting to wonder about how to attach a female thread to tale a brush and have a positive pressure flush during cleaning. Maybe have a few feet of limber plastic tubing going from the yard hose to the assembly.

This is starting to sound like I might need a slicker suit to use it. Gonna keep thinking about it. Need more coffee.

yep that will work. i have a piece of1/4 in . copper put a fitting on it and hook to water and go. if you have a water heater to were you can hook a hose to it you have a hot water flush.

Good Cheer
06-26-2012, 08:10 AM
yep them pattent breaches suck to clean . Makes a good case for T7 cleans up with hot water . In the old days 1840 on they did what was called scouping . Bored to bore dia. for what the builder felt was deep enough and they experimented with shape at bottom . The idea was to cut down on fuse effect to main charge . Even back then the gun nuts were at it

Yeah! Got a .46 bore flinter that has the rear end bored like that. I love it.

Boerrancher
06-26-2012, 09:37 AM
I remove the clean out screw or vent liner and work a pipe cleaner up into the patent breech, after a good pump and scrub with water. So far I have always been able to keep them clean.

Best wishes,

Joe

Omnivore
06-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Makes a good case for T7 cleans up with hot water .

That's all I ever use for BP. What else is there? Slush pump the bore, use a smaller jag for the patent breech, dry it, grease it all afterward. What could be easier? Bore still like new after many years of shooting, except the bluing is just starting to wear off of the lands.

sharps4590
06-26-2012, 04:50 PM
I think they've been/we've been cleaning up black powder with hot water for....ummmmm.....something like 600 years? Heck, I've been using it for over 36 years. I tried about all the wonder cleaners and nothing works as good as plain ol' hot water.

Boerrancher
06-27-2012, 03:22 PM
I think they've been/we've been cleaning up black powder with hot water for....ummmmm.....something like 600 years? Heck, I've been using it for over 36 years. I tried about all the wonder cleaners and nothing works as good as plain ol' hot water.

I will second that. I have never had plain old water cause my ram rod/cleaning jag to become stuck in the bore either. Every time I get away from a natural grease/oil or spit for a patch lube, and plain old water with a bit of soap I get in trouble.

Best wishes,

Joe

Coffeecup
07-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Hot water, cold water, whatever is left of the morning's coffee after sitting by the fire all day--all it has to do is dissolve the salts from the powder burning.

Good Cheer
07-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Last night I was cleaning a .58 barrel after shooting lubed minies. The breech plug is properly shaped so that the cleaning jag passes right into the cavity in the plug. Wish all of them were!