PDA

View Full Version : Gunzilla ....will it clean corrosive primer residu

omgb
06-23-2012, 08:23 PM
I ordered a 32 oz bottle of it. Some say it cleans BP residue and others claim it cleans corrosive salts from milsup ammo. Anyone out there have any experience with it?

runfiverun
06-24-2012, 04:19 AM
dunno but i do know soap and water will clean them out.

Jack Stanley
06-24-2012, 09:00 AM
I tried a bottle of it and cleaned up a Russian Nagant after using corrosive ammo . Used the stuff according to the directions and a day or so later a light rust was beginning .

I cleaned it again , this time using it as if it was soap and water and it seemed to work . It does seem like awful expensive soap and water though so I won't be buying it again . I have heard a lot of the local boys just glowing about the stuff though so maybe it ain't so bad ...... just not for me .

Jack

omgb
06-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Here's why I ask. I use soap and water at home because it works and ....it's almost free [smilie=l: But, I do a BSA shooting camp in the summer at a place where water is not readioly available. We'll shoot a thousand rounds over a two day period and I wantd something that would work in the field between real cleanings.

Jack Stanley
06-24-2012, 04:49 PM
If I was going to go out in the field like that a few gallon milk jugs filled with enough water so you can still fit a cup of ammonia and about a table spoon of liquid dish soap . Or the same jugs with a light mix of Murphy's oil soap and water and lots of rags no matter which you choose . I bet beneath your kitchen sink you already have what it takes to get rifles clean without buying old zilla boy :mrgreen:

Jack

omgb
06-24-2012, 07:43 PM
I actually have been using a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. That works exceedingly well but it leaves a residue that must be dried eventually. What I'd really like is a cleaner that removed corrosive salts in milsurp guns without having to do the H2O douch each time.

quasi
06-24-2012, 11:06 PM
try synthetic machine tool coolant and water mix, it works for me.

Ed in North Texas
06-25-2012, 08:48 AM
I actually have been using a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. That works exceedingly well but it leaves a residue that must be dried eventually. What I'd really like is a cleaner that removed corrosive salts in milsurp guns without having to do the H2O douch each time.

GI (WW II/Korea) bore cleaner is getting hard to find. But any of the ammonia bearing copper removing bore cleaners will remove the corrosive salts as well as any copper/gilding metal fouling (while my favorite is Sweet's 7.62, I'm sure any of the ammonia content cleaners will work). No water cleanup required, just dry patches. I follow with a Kroil patch to leave a light coat of oil, but that is because I am putting the weapon up for some time until the next range trip.

Ed

KCSO
06-28-2012, 02:14 PM
No matter what they CLAIM I always use soap and water first on corrosive primers. Evne with Hoppe's.

JudgeBAC
06-28-2012, 02:22 PM
50/50 water and Ballistol, works wonders for cleaning corrosive ammo and blackpowder. After cleaning dry and follow with oil of choice. Only downside is Ballistol smells like athletic socks after a long run.

Dumasron
07-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Reference to soap and water:
Lately I have found that dishwasher soap is much more effective than detergents. The dishwasher soap is formulated to make oil and dirt 'release' from whatever it has attached. Detergents on the other hand, dissolve. Give it a try with black powder also.

Bret4207
07-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Here's why I ask. I use soap and water at home because it works and ....it's almost free [smilie=l: But, I do a BSA shooting camp in the summer at a place where water is not readioly available. We'll shoot a thousand rounds over a two day period and I wantd something that would work in the field between real cleanings.

You're shooting corrosive centerfire surplus ammo at Scout Camp? Wowser! We never got to use anything but 22's!

zuke
07-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Here's a couple on EBAY

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW11-RBC-RIFLE-BORE-CLEANER-72-CANS-IN-ORIG-WOOD-CRATE-/350581445820?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a04854bc

I bought a case of this stuff when I was 17, I'm 46 now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMPTY-POISON-MILITARY-CLEANER-RIFLE-BORE-TIN-MALDEN-MA-/390361196528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae35727f0