PDA

View Full Version : Gas Check madness!!!

Love Life
06-23-2012, 06:05 PM
I ordered a gas check making tool from member Goodsteel, and it arrived this week. My 9mm mould has an oddsized shank so custom was the way to go. Anywho the gas check maker works very well with .011 aluminum flashing. So there I was happily pounding away making gas checks :-P when I get an e-mail alert.

It was from Mr. Darnall of Freechex letting me know that Freechex II in 357 were ready. [smilie=w: Once that one gets here I will be a gas check making fool!! I have some .011 half hard aluminum from Yonky and I will give that a go first. Speaking of Yonky I need to reply back to him and pay for my other aluminum :holysheep!!

So in conclusion I have a custom gas check making tool for my odd sized 9mm shanks from Goodsteel (better get on his list before he becomes a known entity in the "biz") that works very well, I have a Freechex II to make 357 gas checks for my normal shanked boolits, I have material to play with. I am happier than a pig rolling in the mud.

RobS
06-23-2012, 08:59 PM
I know how it feels.......the first time I punched out my own it was a sense of freedom from the over expense of the corporate. Glad you are enjoying the madness.

Capn Jack
06-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Careful now "Love Life",

It's always hard to strike a balance between casting and punching.

The more you punch the more you have to cast and vice versa...It's a viscous circle
that can leave you totally exhausted and unable to do any reloading, thus effectively disabling your firearms....It's all a government plot.:kidding:

Jack...8-)

Love Life
06-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Careful now "Love Life",

It's always hard to strike a balance between casting and punching.

The more you punch the more you have to cast and vice versa...It's a viscous circle
that can leave you totally exhausted and unable to do any reloading, thus effectively disabling your firearms....It's all a government plot.:kidding:

Jack...8-)

Now that is funny! My Glocks gobble up gas checked boolits, so gas checks are always needed around here.

Dthunter
07-06-2012, 11:48 AM
I was more than lucky when I scored a lifetime supply of new .014" sheet aluminum! For FREE!
Now that I have all my ducks in a row, I promptly had a major failure with my Lyman lube/sizer!
Sasafraze! I have wait till next year to buy another one!
This sucks! Never can a guy truly get the upper hand! Hmmmm!

Capn Jack
07-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Dthunter,

Careful, if your aluminum is "Sheet" and not "Flashing, or Gutter", it may be
a little hard to work with. There are several hardnesses of aluminum ranging
from "SO" (Soft) on through "T6" (Tempered Grade, very hard).

Stay Safe.

Jack....:coffeecom

milprileb
07-07-2012, 07:48 AM
The more you punch the more you have to cast and vice versa.

Yup, spent about an hour and had 500 gas checks , looked at bullet supply and
I got to get to casting pronto.

The cycle of life: cast, lube/size, check, then FL size, trim, prime, charge, seat, shoot, clean bores, repeat cycle : shoot multiple calibers ? So its 9 separate cycles of this for me endlessly.

Looking over the 21die sets for calibers on the shelf: I am in such trouble !!

jmsj
07-07-2012, 09:09 AM
I don't use many gas checks but I do use them in certain loads. In pistols most of my gas checks are of the PB type. A while back I made some one stroke PB gas check makers in the calibers I needed. Once I started punching them out I could not seem to quite making them. In the evening for about a week I would punch some out while watching TV. I now have a enough PB gas checks to last me a very, very long time.
Good luck, jmsj