PDA

View Full Version : Magazine thoughts

Johnny_Cyclone
06-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Today at the range the subject of "BEST" 1911 Magazines came up.. [smilie=b:

As usual everyone had a reason for their favorite.

One guy just wasn't getting the what the big deal was, and was feeling left out as he couldn't join into the fun jist of the conversation.

So I tried to explain it to him something like this:

I said let us say you have a Glock 19, The Glock 19 is made by Glock. If you own one you have two manufacturers for magazines: Glock and KCI. As far as I know that's it.

That's One gun manufacture and two magazine manufactures.

I said the 1911 design has an untold number of manufactures and many, many magazine manufactures.

So the problems we hear of are folks using "X" manufactures 1911 designed gun, and working it with whatever manufactures magazine.

So "X" 1911 may work with "AA" and AC" mags, but not "AB mags. Where a "Y" made 1911 will work with "AB" and "AC" mags, but the "Q" made 1911 wont work with those three mags, but runs amazingly well with "Z" mags.

"L" 1911 will run with all mags unless HP ammo is used then it won't run with "O" mags, but all others run well.

I said in 1911's we have ramped and unramped barrels. We have 3.5 inch to 6" bbls. We have short grip frames and tall grip frames. We have custom tight..tight target 1911's and sloppy beater 1911's.

Not counting all the little changes: series 70, series 80, standard extractor, external extractor, etc.

1911's have and kept being being manufactured for over 100 years. They are not all the same exact spec..

Someone, somewhere is not going to get the right mag with the right gun. The tolerance stack up will be wrong. I said their going to post their issue and 50 people are going to repeat it. Then 50 more are going to repeat what those 50 said and so on.

I said if we could get 20 manufactures making the Glock 19 style pistols and 6 magazine manufactures making mags you'd see what happens.

I said in the end there prpbably wouldn't be a best magazine manufacturer out of those 6 for all 20 different manufactures Glock 19 style designs...

Am I thinking wrong here?

Thanks,

kinda like pizza, if all we could get was a three cheese pizza then our only choices would be what crust and what size...but.. if we can have a choice of 7 more types of pizza along with a choice of 12 different toppings then only certain combos may work for our taste buds. However, that same combo may not work for others even though most of us are the same basic design. Only difference being were from different manufactures..:smile:...wait maybe I'm just hungry

Could be, that subconsciously, I was suffering withdraw at not having another magazine thread to read..lol.. in a way, it's kinda like bench racing.

Love Life
06-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Advanced math is not welcome 'round these parts. :kidding:

MtGun44
06-24-2012, 02:30 AM
NOT just tolerance stack up. There have been at least three different designs of feed lips
produced and this is a major deal for some guns. I have many 1911s and some will feed
about anything from about any mag. Others need GI tapered feed lips to feed HPs properly,
etc.

Your primary point is right - that every jackleg in the world has build something that he calls a "1911
magazine" for 100 year and this is a real problem, plus the fact that most folks that own
a 1911 know literally NOTHING about the three basic designs of feed lips, advantages,
disadvantages, intent of the different designs, or troubleshooting feeding issues.

If you stick with REAL Colt mags (MANY, MANY marked Colt on the bottom are fakes) you
will have far few problems due to mags, but not "none". In addition to the near infinite
magazine suppliers - throw in the current (approx) 23 manufactures currently making some
thing that they call a 1911, although many have freely redesigned major systems on the
gun so that John Browning would never recognize it. Infinite different designs called "1911s"
and infinite different mags. . . . . . . why would there ever be a problem? (HA!)

Bill

btroj
06-24-2012, 09:10 AM
I also wonder how many Glock shooters have altered the feed ramps, shortened the slide, changed springs, and otherwise altered the timing and geometry of feeding a round.

The 1911 has been so manipulated that I wonder how some of them manage to feed at all!

My Gold Cup feeds fine with some relatively cheap magazines from Checkmate. I see no need to spend 40 bucks for a magazine when a properly designed magazine from Checkmate works fine.