PDA

View Full Version : Blueing

smokinbarrel
06-23-2012, 10:17 AM
I have blued several guns over the years, using the old Neidner formula cold blue. I am going to redo an old steel Browning double auto shotgun. the aluminum versions came in several different colours, I was thinking it would be something different if I could do this steel one a different shade. Has anyone ever discovered a process of making steel a redish or some other shade? I have seen over the years blueing jobs that turned out sort of lavender by accident.
thanks all

sbowers
06-23-2012, 05:30 PM
IT WAS NOT BY ACCIDENT THEY WERE TRYING TO BLUE CASE HARDENED STEEL AND IT WILL TURN A REDDISH PURPLE EVERY TIME.
Steve

David2011
06-23-2012, 07:10 PM
If the salts are run too hot (315 deg F +) the metal will take on a purplish color. I have a 1911 with a Colt slide that was purple when I got it from a friend. After doing a lot of work to the gun I reblued it at the correct temperature and it came out black as it should have. I've never read anything about deliberately making steel come out other colors except by plating. Aluminum is easily anodized and dyed any color you want but anodizing will dissolve steel.

DuraCoat offers high gloss spray-on finishes in a variety of colors.

David

sbowers
06-24-2012, 12:19 AM
If the salts are run too hot (315 deg F +) the metal will take on a purplish color. I have a 1911 with a Colt slide that was purple when I got it from a friend. After doing a lot of work to the gun I reblued it at the correct temperature and it came out black as it should have. I've never read anything about deliberately making steel come out other colors except by plating. Aluminum is easily anodized and dyed any color you want but anodizing will dissolve steel.

DuraCoat offers high gloss spray-on finishes in a variety of colors.

David

Yes this is true but it happens more time's when someone new to bluing try's to blue case harded recievers, and one with anytime in front of a bluing tank knows to keep the temp. in the proper trange to get the best results.
Steve

Stephen Cohen
06-24-2012, 03:11 AM
IT WAS NOT BY ACCIDENT THEY WERE TRYING TO BLUE CASE HARDENED STELL AND IT WILL TURN A REDDISH PURPLE EVERY TIME.
Steve

yes as I found out on the action of my Winchester 410 single shot and the extractor of my 98 Mauser.