PDA

View Full Version : molded ear plugs

Firebricker
06-23-2012, 07:10 AM
There is a big trap shoot close to me this weekend with a lot of vendors doing the custom moulded ear plugs. I've been considering trying a pair but was wanting some opinions about them. Anybody here try them if so do like you like them ?
Thanks in advance,FB

Jim
06-23-2012, 07:57 AM
I have a set and they work well. Personal opinion, I don't think they work any better than a good set of plugs or muffs at a much lower price.

largom
06-23-2012, 08:07 AM
I have a set and they work well. Personal opinion, I don't think they work any better than a good set of plugs or muffs at a much lower price.

Absolutely +1

Larry

dragonrider
06-23-2012, 10:29 AM
I am verry happy with mine, I thought they were somewhat expensive but I believe they are worth it. No big bulky ear muff that get in the way. As quiet as anything I have ever used.

Jim
06-23-2012, 10:43 AM
I use MOLDEX ROCKET (http://www.coopersafety.com/product/moldex-rockets-corded-earplugs-50-pairs-1661.aspx)ear plugs. I keep a pair tied to the back of my hat, convenient and out of the way. They're easy to clean by soaking in a glass of hot water and a coupla' drops of Dawn or the like. I can push 'em in just enough to cut down gunfire from a distance or push 'em all the way in for 'right in your face' protection. I have fired my contender with a ported .223 barrel under a metal roof with these plugs. The concussion is horrific, but what I hear amounts to a loud 'bump'. They don't interfere with my rifle shooting and when I want to unplug, I just yank 'em out.

R.M.
06-23-2012, 12:15 PM
I've had a pair for over 10 years now. They work well, but when you get to the point where you have more hair growing in your ears than on your head, they can be a pain.

David2011
06-23-2012, 12:28 PM
The big advantage to me is that they aren't as hot as over-the-ear hearing protection. I prefer electronic ear muffs but the wind noise is oppressive on windy days, which is most days where I live. Muffs sometimes interfere with the cheek weld, especially on my AR-15 with an A2 stock and the plugs overcome that problem as well. I shoot in pistol and rifle matches so end up having muffs or plugs in use for extended periods of time. Plugs allow me to wear full brimmed hats to keep the sun off of my ears but with muffs I can only wear baseball type caps.

Protection is on par with other types of quality hearing protection and better than foam ear plugs. If you're around really loud guns you can double up with plugs and muffs.

David

Moonman
06-23-2012, 01:45 PM
I like the set I have.

I use electronic too at times, sometimes both together.

Firebricker
06-23-2012, 02:20 PM
I appreciate the input. The comfort factor is the main reason I'm thinking of trying them. FB

troy_mclure
06-23-2012, 08:00 PM
I have twisty ear canals so regular plugs are a pita to get installed properly, and down here muffs can trap about a cup of sweat each side.
I have 2 sets of molded plugs, one I got done at the international motorcycle show in 04 for $35, and a pair (1 of 2) I got 2 years ago from audibell for $80 a pair.
The audibell ones are junk, they warped real bad and one pair would not fit any more.

gbrown
06-23-2012, 08:19 PM
The military spent a lot of money (ours) developing hearing protection. I used these over 23 years and they are as good as can be. Find them at surplus stores, gun shows, etc. Once you learn to put them in, work as well as anything out there. I have 2 pair for backup. Normally use regular ear muffs. For an inexpensive, good set, nothing better than the military ones.

DCM
06-23-2012, 08:36 PM
I have them and find them far more comfortable than the foam plugs or ear muffs.
They do quite well with sound reduction also.

Fredx10sen
06-24-2012, 01:41 AM
My Wife ( Dollmaker ) makes them at the Cowboy Shoots. People that have them made by her say that they are very happy with them. I still have the first ones she made for me and still use them. Made right you should be happy with them. I don't know if that helps ya or not but I like them. Be sure that the person checks for any infection or swelling before they make them as they won't turn right. :)

Stephen Cohen
06-24-2012, 02:56 AM
Well I have a great set now, I went and had casts done for my hearing aids yes both ears. would you believe it the new aids didnt work at all and were beyond repair, so I just put a bit of silicon in hole they work great, put a cord in silicon before it dries.

Artful
06-24-2012, 11:51 AM
My wife and I each have them. If you shoot rifle it makes it much better than muff's, and while I like the foam plugs you loose some sound reduction each time you reuse them. I only wish I would have had the money for the electronic insert in the molded plugs as I really like my electronic muff's

mstarling
06-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Used them for over 20 years as an IPSC competitor. I like them very much.

Easier to pack around than muffs. Work at least as well for me. Work in a blind.

Are great with muffs for VERY loud rifles!

I have three sets. If they go away, I'll go find another.

Firebricker
06-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Well I went ahead and had a set made yesterday and I'm glad I did. They are more comfortable than any of the commercial ear plugs I've used. Plus it seems like you can hear better or clearer talking to someone beside you but still have the decibel reduction. A nice lady from San Antonio, TX made them for me their company name is "CeCa Associates". She and her husband travel to the Camp Perry matches and the trap shoots at Cardinal Center in OH very nice people and a quality product. FB