PDA

View Full Version : A idea I had that works

Johnch
07-08-2005, 10:41 PM
I cast in my basement due to a lack of good outside room.
To not put lots of lead fumes in the house ,I made a vent hood to cast under.
I have a box built on a work bench ,3' wide 2' deep and 3' high.( I used a cardboard box for years)
Inside I have a 10 lb Bottem pore Lee pot and a 20 lb Lyman pot .
On top I have a cheap bath fan light .
I vented the fan outside thru a extra dryer vent.
In the front I have a peice of plexi glass to see thru.
Under the Plexi glass there is a opening to stick my hands thru to cast .
The opening is about 12" high.
The plexi glass is hinged to allow me to raise it to dipper lead into the lee pot

This allows me to cast inside in any weather and not freeze or bake.
I also don't breath in any lead fumes
I replaced the plexi glass years back due to lead splater , a wet chunk of lead I droped in the pot almost emptyed it
I sealed all the seams with caulk and duct tape

I think I have $20 in the whole thing

Just a idea I thought some of you might like.

Johnch

NVcurmudgeon
07-09-2005, 07:12 AM
That's an ingenious way to handle the nasties. I don't worry too much over lead fumes because lead doesn't vaporiize until 1200 degrees F, but the flux, rubber valves, tire labels, plastic coatings, and dog urine probaby don't do us any good. My garage seems built for casting. There are two man doors on the side of the prevailing wind, (in Nevada there is ALWAYS a prevailing wind) and the roll-up door on the leeward side, so there is always a Washoe Zephyr passing through my mini-foundry.

Willbird
07-09-2005, 09:35 AM
It gets so windy out here on the tundra in ohio that I can only open my door partway or the bullets blow out the door instead of falling into the quench bucket...I cast and cast one day and only got 300 done, then walked to the house and couldnt see over the pile drifted up outside the garage door.

Bill

NVcurmudgeon
07-09-2005, 03:01 PM
I knew it! The first weather braggart never has a chance.

Johnch
07-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Come on guys
Do both of you need to stand in the corner or can you play nice ?? [smilie=l:

I hate the summer temps.
I just looked ,it's 84 right now but it's going to be 90+ for the next 5 days and not the DRY heat some places have .
There is not any wind to cool me .
So I am going to turn the AC down and cool off.

Johnch