PDA

View Full Version : My new sixgun

jdowney
06-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Been looking for one of these last couple months and found just the thing in a LGS:

Old model Vaquero in 44 magnum, 4 5/8 barrel, blued.

Now I just need to pick up a mold or two and some powder, already have 150 or so empties, been making those every chance I get :D

Only trouble is now I want to find an old DA 44 Special....

Cowboy T
06-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Hey, cool...and congrats!

Do you have a mould for it yet? If so, I hear there are a few folks 'round here who make moulds for that slick-lookin' sixgun of yours.... :-)

canyon-ghost
06-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Nice Ruger! I've been bit by that 44 flattop bug myself.
<<< There's mine.

Good Luck,
Ron

LUBEDUDE
06-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Nice piece.

Sorry I'm having a blonde moment, what's an LGS ?

2ndAmendmentNut
06-22-2012, 07:45 PM
LGS=Local Gun Store.

Ken B
06-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Ive got one in stainless and love it!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim
06-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Had one of those years ago in .45 Colt. Man, I loved that pistol. You're gonna enjoy shootin' that.

LUBEDUDE
06-22-2012, 09:52 PM
LGS=Local Gun Store.

Ah shucks :veryconfu

Thanks!

jdowney
06-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks gents, I was really happy to find this one. Had it about a month now and I'm enjoying it immensely.

No molds yet, haven't even slugged it. I was planning to start with the RCBS Keith mold, but I've been reading good things about a couple of Lyman molds.

Silver Jack Hammer
06-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Well at least it ain’t one of those bottom feedin’ side shucking things. You got a real gun there. It’ll take more than you are going to want to load it to.

I had the Lyman and got rid of it. Got the RCBS and love it, but in my 3-screw SBH I have to seat the RCBS Keith below the driving band, where with the Lyman I can crimp in the crimping groove an the cartridge will chamber.

429421Cowboy
06-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Very nice! I have always wanted another, my first handgun was a Vaquero in .45 Colt, makes a perfect bear gun that can handle the Ruger only stuff plus i liked the fixed sights for a mountain gun. Good luck with it, enjoy!

P.S there is no "Old Model" designation for the Vaquero, just Vaquero and New Model Vaquero that has the smaller Colt size frame and has to stay away from the Tier III .45 loads...

Very nice purchase!

jdowney
06-23-2012, 03:30 PM
P.S there is no "Old Model" designation for the Vaquero, just Vaquero and New Model Vaquero that has the smaller Colt size frame and has to stay away from the Tier III .45 loads...

Yep, easy to fall into the internet colloquialisms, isn't it? :D

Does anyone know if the same grips fit both Vaqueros and the various blackhawks? I've not handled them all side by side, but the grip frames feel the same to me.

429421Cowboy
06-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Yep, easy to fall into the internet colloquialisms, isn't it? :D

Does anyone know if the same grips fit both Vaqueros and the various blackhawks? I've not handled them all side by side, but the grip frames feel the same to me.

Sorry thats a little pet peeve of mine:( It;d be easier if we all just said Ruger then we know they're all good!:drinks:

From what i have read, the New Model Single Six, Super Single Six, Vaquero, Blackhawk and short (4 /58" and 5 1/2") Super Blackhawks all use the same XR3-RED grip frame and the difference is in the aluminum vs steel composition of the frames between the models.

EDK
06-24-2012, 12:09 AM
I avoid the "semantics police" by referring to Original Size VAQUEROS.

I'm currently being hassled by SWMBO because a couple of these jewels were shipped to ALPHA PRECISION for trigger jobs with SUPER BLACK HAWK hammers and having HUNTER grip frames fitted. UPS is a rip-off...even if you ship a couple guns in one box. $200 shipping and insurance fees really wound her up!

If you have a lever gun in 44 OR plan to acquire one, get one of the round nose/flat point moulds. I like the RANCH DOG TLC 432 265 and the NOE plain base clone of same. MIHEC has a clone of LYMAN 429640 that will be delivered soon...mine's a plain base four cavity. For revolver use only, a NOE full wadcutter mould will freak out the "range ninjas." The KEITH style boolit is always a good choice...do a little research on these.

Gunbroker has been my source of once fired brass. My favorite seller, Nuts4bolts, usually has an auction going.

The XR3-red grips SHOULD fit your VAQUERO, as well as similar BLACKHAWKS. I like EAGLE GRIPS Gunfighter model.

The Original Size VAQUEROS in 44 aren't that common, especially the 7.5 inch barrel length. The price on internet auctions is climbing steadily and fewer guns are being offered.

MY S&W 624 or 629 don't see much daylight. I generally run 48 or more rounds through a pair of 44 mag VAQUEROS daily.

:redneck::cbpour::2gunsfiring_v1:

TXGunNut
06-24-2012, 06:23 PM
I like it, nice find. Just goes to show you that if you're patient and diligent you'll eventually find what you're looking for.

TheGrimReaper
06-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Very nice!

canyon-ghost
06-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Thought I might mention that I loaded some 44 magnums recently. I used RCBS dies, the 44 Special/44 magnum set in the gray box. There's a spacer that's about 1/8" thick that lets you load 44 magnum without changing die settings. Just drop the washer under the die and you get the extra length for your 44 mag brass.

I loaded them to 44 Special specs with 7.4 grains of Unique, soft plinking loads that shoot very good to 50 yards.

In the 44 Special, I've been shooting a Lee 200 grain roundnose that is supposed to be for 44-40. It shot very good. Jerry at Carolina Cast Bullets sent me some in a trade originally and it worked out great.

Good Luck,
Ron

http://stores.ebay.com/Bearpaw-Ruger-Grip-Store

http://clccustomgrips.com/

jdowney
06-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the mold and reloading info. I've got a Ranch Dog mold for 32 Special, I like his molds a lot. Probably go with that one and the Keith mold from RCBS. I do plan to pick up a 44 lever gun one day, they seem to be a bit hard to find around here though.

Those grip links are interesting, I'm planning to make my own, but usually I make several before settling on one set I like best (so I'm curious what else the spares would fit). Those prices make me think I don't charge enough for my Hk grips though. Those boys must have CNC machines to pay for :D