PDA

View Full Version : Hornady blemished 6.5mm, .268” 160 grain RNSP bullets, $27.00 per hundred.

Hang Fire
06-22-2012, 03:38 PM
These were for the 6.5x52 Carcano. but as my M38 Swede slugs at .2675” I figure they will work great in it. I will tumble them to see if they will polish up.

“HRN 6.5MM(.268)160gr RNSP BULLET (6.5x52)

https://www.grafs.com/uploads/product-picture/preview/6186.jpg

Item #: HRN2645B
Price: $26.99
Availability: In Stock

Product Information
**Note: These bullets are blemished. They have a discoloration/tarnished look to them, which does not effect the performance of the bullet in anyway.** This bullet is designed for 6.5X52 Carcanos with a bore diameter of at least .2670".

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/orderId/1097785/productId/6186

Ed in North Texas
06-22-2012, 08:52 PM
None of these I bought for my Swedes and Arisaka looked anywhere near that condition. Most looked new, a few had a light spot or two on them. If you haven't received yours yet, you may be pleasantly surprised. Although it looks like they might be running low, I think the price has gone up from what I paid (assuming I'm not having a senior moment).

Ed

Hang Fire
06-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Maybe the pic depicts worse case scenario.

I ordered couple hundred, guess will see when they arrive. I priced new and they are $42.99 for 100.

swheeler
06-23-2012, 01:19 AM
None of these I bought for my Swedes and Arisaka looked anywhere near that condition. Most looked new, a few had a light spot or two on them. If you haven't received yours yet, you may be pleasantly surprised. Although it looks like they might be running low, I think the price has gone up from what I paid (assuming I'm not having a senior moment).

Ed

Not a senior moment, I think I paid 18.00 per hundred a few months ago, and they looked just like the fresh shiny boxed ones.

Ed in North Texas
06-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Not a senior moment, I think I paid 18.00 per hundred a few months ago, and they looked just like the fresh shiny boxed ones.

Thanks, that was my recollection on price (maybe $18.95?) also. I ordered several hundred, mostly for hog hunting with the 11 y/o Grandson this fall.

Ed

mustanggt
06-23-2012, 09:11 PM
I got in on that sale and got them yesterday. They aren't shiny like new but will work perfectly fine and a good deal to boot.

Hang Fire
06-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Got the bullets in today, except for very few with minor blemish, most all were bright and shiny as new.

Being long and heavy, they should make great hunting bullets for deep penetration on big game,

junkbug
06-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Even though they are soft points, their jackets are so thick, I wonder how much they will expand. Does Hornady dicuss this in any of their literature?

Ed in North Texas
06-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Even though they are soft points, their jackets are so thick, I wonder how much they will expand. Does Hornady dicuss this in any of their literature?

I bought these for hog hunting. According to the Hornady website/catalog, the jackets are tapered in thickness and offer "deep penetration and controlled expansion" (which in a 6.5mm means probably not much expansion unless a big, or tough, animal is being hunted).

Ed

Hang Fire
06-30-2012, 04:15 PM
I would have liked thinner jacketed spire points, as these long round nose and heavy bullets (for the caliber) will start slow and get slower down range. But still hope they can expand at slow velocities.

As an aside, these I got miked at .267". Good calipers measured at .265”, and that is why I never trust calipers for precision measurements.

Hang Fire
07-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Made up a dummy round with one of the bullets, seated to crimp depth, no go, nose hit the rifling and could not close bolt.

Looks like will have to set the bullet down into the case pretty far, will see today just how far.

Ed in North Texas
07-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Made up a dummy round with one of the bullets, seated to crimp depth, no go, nose hit the rifling and could not close bolt.

Looks like will have to set the bullet down into the case pretty far, will see today just how far.

Didn't have that problem with my Type 38, haven't tried them in the '96 or '38 Swedes. What are you shooting?

Hang Fire
07-01-2012, 05:37 PM
I have a 1942 Husky M38 Swede, with a very short throat. Had to definitely set the 160gr RNSP bullet real deep so as to work action without hitting the rifling, will take a pic of just how deep.

Another thing I encountered, with the Lee seating die , cannot crimp, as the larger diameter bullet can't enter the hole as die tries to crimp the bullet itself.

IIRC, the M96 had a longer throat to handle the long and heavy round nose 6.5mm bullets of the day. Then for M38, the bullet shape was switched to a lighter spire point design, and consequent M38 short throat resulted.

Ed in North Texas
07-01-2012, 10:25 PM
I have a 1942 Husky M38 Swede, with a very short throat. Had to definitely set the 160gr RNSP bullet real deep so as to work action without hitting the rifling, will take a pic of just how deep.

Another thing I encountered, with the Lee seating die , cannot crimp, as the larger diameter bullet can't enter the hole as die tries to crimp the bullet itself.

IIRC, the M96 had a longer throat to handle the long and heavy round nose 6.5mm bullets of the day. Then for M38, the bullet shape was switched to a lighter spire point design, and consequent M38 short throat resulted.

For seating, try a .270 (or maybe a 6.8 Remington) seating die. The .270 might be too long, but some can be ground off (triangle file to clean up the threads if you have to take that much off) if you are dedicating it to the 6.5 die set.

Most of the turn of the century "small" cartridges (small, as in less than .45 caliber) had long, heavy and round nosed bullets (e.g. .303, 7.65 Belgian/Argentine, .30-40 Krag, .30-03, 7x57mm, 8x57mm, etc.).

Ed

Hang Fire
07-01-2012, 10:33 PM
I can seat alright, just can't crimp with the 6.5x55 die. So I just adjusted the neck collet die to make for a tight bullet fit.

Here is pic of seating depth required:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/5101183785FA730BA.png

Multigunner
07-02-2012, 03:44 AM
First time I heard of the Italian 6.5 bullets being .268 rather than .264 as is common for commercial sporting rounds was in a warning in a gun magazine about a Remington 600 series 6.5 magnum blowing out its breech when salvaged 6.5 Italian milspec bullets were used in a hot handload.
Insufficient neck clearance was the culprit.
Military 6.5 chambers such as the 6.5X55 should have enough neck clearance, but one should determine that by slugging the neck.

Hang Fire
07-02-2012, 12:50 PM
First time I heard of the Italian 6.5 bullets being .268 rather than .264 as is common for commercial sporting rounds was in a warning in a gun magazine about a Remington 600 series 6.5 magnum blowing out its breech when salvaged 6.5 Italian milspec bullets were used in a hot handload.
Insufficient neck clearance was the culprit.
Military 6.5 chambers such as the 6.5X55 should have enough neck clearance, but one should determine that by slugging the neck.

This instance is caused by a short throat, not a lack of neck clearance.

Until I arrived at this seating depth. almost every time when attempt was made to close the bolt with force, the bullet was pulled out of the case upon extraction. Had to use a brass rod to dislodge bullet and it had very distinct rifling marks engraved.

6.5x55 sporting rifles and ammunition are .264", while the M38 runs .267"-268"as that was how it was designed and made.

The short throat in the M38 has proved a bummer when using the Cruise Missile mold made by Lee today. To use it I (and some others) have to resize the nose and first two front bands smaller, or seat it very deep in order to chamber it.

Multigunner
07-02-2012, 03:23 PM
This instance is caused by a short throat, not a lack of neck clearance.

Until I arrived at this seating depth. almost every time when attempt was made to close the bolt with force, the bullet was pulled out of the case upon extraction. Had to use a brass rod to dislodge bullet and it had very distinct rifling marks engraved.

The following is from what I remember of a very old article.

Something very similar happened to "Hee Haw" Granpa Stoneman.
He had a friend make up some 6.5 loads for a Mannlicher sporting carbine ( I think it may have been a WW2 souvenir).
The handloader used 6.5 Italian bullets.

After firing a few rounds with no problem Granpa had chambered a round then had to delay shooting for several minutes.
When he returned to the bench he cycled the action and what he thought was a fired case was ejected.
Turned out later that he had chambered a round earlier and forgotten it. The bullet had been jammed tight in the origin of rifling, and stayed stuck there when he chambered a following cartridge with some difficulty.
The stuck bullet caused the bullet of that round to be jammed deeply into the case.
So when touched off the cartridge case liquified and molten brass filled every nook and cranny of the action.
Amazingly the rifle survived, and a talented gunsmith found a way to remove the brass without damaging the action.