PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Nate Kiowa Jones's bolt mounted peep on Puma 92?

saz
06-22-2012, 09:45 AM
I have been wanting to mount a receiver sight on my 454 puma, as the factory tru-glo sight is kind of a ***. It moves around quite a bit. I was going to mount a williams, but lost my nerve when it came to drilling into the receiver. So, has anyone used Nate Kiowa Jones's bolt mounted sight? http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19_20_27&products_id=5 Plus it will get rid of that UGLY safety......

I am very interested in this thing. It seems very solid, except for the fact that it mounts on a piece that moves. Has anyone experienced issues with their zero shifting etc? Thanks everyone!

pietro
06-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Since the bolt locks up solidly when ready to shoot, and only has some movement when it's fully open & not ready to shoot, the issue is more in your mind than a practical matter.

Kiowa's bolt peep is fine, if you want to spend the $$, AND want to keep the safety feature - since his sight is also a safety, operated by turning the aperture 90-degrees to the line-of-sight.

Back when it took him awhile to get his sight in production, I was impatient, and fashioned my own version from a Skinner LOPro peep mounted in w 6-48 D/T'd hole in the center of the bolt-top lawyer safety, which I modified by grinding off the protruding ears & the bottom safety lug that interacted with the firing pin.

http://www.skinnersights.com/images/BS_lo-pro.jpg?99

I ordered the LoPro with a 6-48 stem, and thinned the sight's locking ring (from the top) in order to mount the sight lower - the benefit being the ability to zero using the issue front sight.

My rifles (I've since done a few) all zeroed with a miniscule windage adjustmentto the front sights - less than 1/10" - because the bolt peep mounts directly over the bore C/L (firing pin).

The resuly is very accurate, very fast, with no "shifting". Please keep in mind that these are NOT target rifles, they are hunting guns.

If/when I desired a "ghost ring", I simply remove the aperture & shot through the resulting "ring".

Geobru
06-23-2012, 01:20 PM
I have one on my Puma 92. I have found that it is a good sight.

My eyes are aging, so open sights are a stretch for me, especially in low light conditions. The NKJ sight does all that I ask of it. It gives me a peep sight without drilling holes, holds its zero, and gets rid of the safety on top of the bolt.

By the way, the sight is NOT a safety. The knurled knob cinches down on the top of the bolt to lock the sight in place.

I don't expect MOA accuracy with that particular gun, but it is easily minute of deer. Shooting from a lean on the truck type rest, I get 4" groups at 100 yards using the stock sights or the NKJ peep. I haven't yet loaded any of the .433 bullets I have to fill the oversize bore of that rifle. I expect that accuracy will improve when I load the proper sized bullet in cartridges for that gun.

Bottom line, it is a good sight that keeps me from having to drill holes in the receiver! I like mine.

Sturmcrow
06-24-2012, 03:29 PM
I am thinking about getting a NKJ peep as well. Does it replace the entire safety plug thing? The previous owner removed it on mine, as well as the roll pin that is supposed to hold it in. Any idea where to get another roll pin?

Geobru
06-24-2012, 08:00 PM
It replaces the whole safety.

It is held in by the pin, which is probably available through Neumrichs, or contact NKJ and see if he sells the pin.

fecmech
06-24-2012, 08:09 PM
I am thinking about getting a NKJ peep as well. Does it replace the entire safety plug thing? The previous owner removed it on mine, as well as the roll pin that is supposed to hold it in. Any idea where to get another roll pin?
Ace Hardware has a selection of them in various sizes.

rob55
06-24-2012, 11:00 PM
I've been lurking a while. I just committed to a Rossi 92 in 357.
Has anybody tried one of these?

http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/hextra.php

http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/images/Carbine.jpg

Geobru
06-25-2012, 12:24 AM
Rob, welcome to the fire.

the Rossi 357's are highly regarded. I wish mine was a 357 instead of a 44 mag because it is a lot cheaper to shoot the 357! The guys that have them love them.

Geobru

Iron Mike Golf
06-26-2012, 09:32 PM
I have one on my 357 M92. I like it.