PDA

View Full Version : SST pin media seperator

cheese1566
06-22-2012, 09:10 AM
What are you guys using to seperate the stainless steel pins from brass?

I am currently using one of the "gold pan" seperators with the holes in the bottom from Lyman. Must be a better way!

I was looking into the revolving styles from STM/RCBS/Cabelas since I can get one on sale next week at Cabelas.

PbHurler
06-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Cheese,
I asked the same thing awhile back. (Been there done that with the Lyman pan) I finally parted with the dinero for the RCBS rotary. I fill the bottom half to where the water line is above the basket about 1-2". Dump in brass & pins, close basket and attach the top half the "bucket" (you don't want to lose any pins) and rotate away. The RCBS has worked out quite well for me. Hope this helps

GRUMPA
06-22-2012, 10:02 AM
I heard mention of 1 of those hamster balls, the ones that you put a hamster in and let it wreak havoc on the carpet. The guy that posted that said it worked out real well and the cost was minimal, he just got his at a pet store.

Longwood
06-22-2012, 10:09 AM
I use three colanders.
A good plastic one that is about 30 years old. Remember Pre Walmart when you could buy decent plastic products?
I bought another really thin plastic one recently at Walmart that a chunk broke out of on the first use.
Then I broke down and bought their big stainless steel one.
It works so well I bought one of their smaller stainless steel ones.

Moonman
06-23-2012, 12:31 AM
You could put a rare earth magnet inside a Larger BAGGIE, then pull the magnet away inside the baggie to DROP the pins.

shotman
06-23-2012, 01:24 AM
magnet works the best. wrap it with food wrap and the pins are easy to remove

jmorris
06-23-2012, 11:17 PM
I use the big Dillon separator with a screened drain in the tub.

Step N. Mud
06-25-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm new to the wet tumble and stainless steel pins, but all my stuff is outside or in garage. So used a 5 gal. plastic bucket with a nylon fabric 5 gal. paint strainer that fits neatly over the top of the bucket and placed the miners pan brass catcher on top paint strainer & bucket and dump all the brass and pins at same time. brass pan catches the brass and paint strainer catches all the pins. Rinse off the brass and grap the paint strainer with pins like a big sock and rinse off the pins and replace pins back into the thumbler tumber.