PDA

View Full Version : Got a new toy 10FP-LE-2A .308

Depreacher
04-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Saw this on Gunbroker yesterday for $579 buy it now, and I did. 26" varmit/police weight bbl. 1x10, Choate sniper stock, accu-trigger NIB. Want to start shooting in new F class at 600 and 1000 yards. Will start off with heathen boolits first, but want to eventually try my 311299 boolits over 4227 or such. Am getting a Farrel 20 MOA base on it for 1000, but may work great for cast at 600. Maybe??? I have a Chinese A1Optics 6-24x50mmx30mm to play with until I rob a bank and get a nightforce. Will see what the stock Savage bbl. will do. I'm sure it will be a toss of the coin. Hope it wasn't made on Monday morning or at 4:55PM on Friday. Had a new 1967 Ford Fairlane 500 once that was made on New years eve. Pile of trash!!! Will let you know how the new toy works out with our favorite boolits. F class would break the Rothschilds if you got everything you absolutly wanted to compete to win. Preacher ps. jarheadtop.com, long range target shooting, and bench rest central have lots of good info for cast boolit shooters as well although all they talk about are J----word boolits. Good wind info and ballistic calculator.

Jack Stanley
04-25-2007, 04:07 PM
I shot "F" class once . I didn't know a thing about it so I showed up with a Remington in .308 and a six power Kahles on it . I didn't know you could use bags and bipods so all I had was a cotton sling and thirty rounds for a sixty shot match .
The nice bunch of guys took pity on me as I was going up and down the line offering to buy ammo :roll: between all of them they gave a box and a half of gold medal match and a few extra rounds of the M852 I was using .

So of them was surprised that I was doing as well as I did with just a sling and a low power scope . I didn't finsh in the top half but I wasn't last either :-D Had a great time doing it too .

Jack

STP
04-25-2007, 06:50 PM
CBPreacher,
I shoot F-Class at Williamsport Pa...3 years now. I started with a plain Rem700VS in .308 Win. back in 2003. I also tried cast beforehand and was very pleased with my results using the RCBS .308-200-SIL boolit with WW alloy.
In actual 1K competitions, a 20MOA base will allow you to get a 100yd zero and still have the necessary windage left in windy conditions at yonder distances. Example: Saturdays match with .308`s required 14MOA of windage to get "on" at 1000yds. You`ll need at least 36MOA elevation to get there, depending on your range location. (Using the 175gr SMK`s)
The Choate stock eventually will be a liability, as it is not firm enough laterally. See what other Savage shooters are using on the line and ask questions about it.
As for scopes, you MUST have glass that will survive the elevation adjustments, as you will find yourself going up and down repeatably as you switch from 100yds at home, and then out to 1000yds for comps. The bargain priced scopes typically will not tolerate this much repeated "use".
I don`t have high dollar rifles for this...5 of the 6 here for F-Class are in fact, Savages. From 260Rem up to 30-06. All are a hoot "out yonder".
I`m no Guru but PM me and I may be able to lower the learning curve.