PDA

View Full Version : ~~smelting trick of the day~~

daddyseal
06-21-2012, 03:06 PM
For range berm lead or ww. put them in an old deep fryer basket in the pot on the burner, heat up... shake gently now and then...the lead melts out and the metal stays in the basket and comes out All At Once ...except for dirt that spoons out easily.

I've done this many times...and it works!
Very Quick and Easy~!!

44man
06-21-2012, 03:13 PM
GENIUS! Where have you been hiding.
I need to make or find something to fit my round pot though. :bigsmyl2:

popper
06-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Shucks - I got a plastic handles strainer.

daddyseal
06-21-2012, 04:13 PM
GENIUS! Where have you been hiding.
I need to make or find something to fit my round pot though. :bigsmyl2:

Thank you...look here(and other places...I'll met a store near you has some too):
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fry+basket

trixter
06-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Thank you...look here(and other places...I'll met a store near you has some too):
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fry+basket

WOW THAT IS GENIUS, absolute GENIUS!

Jim
06-22-2012, 06:36 PM
I'm runnin' two eight quart pots at the same time, leap frogging them. THIS (http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/8090300/?bnrid=3120901&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Cooks_Tools&cm_pla=Colanders_Strainers&cm_ite=Spider_Skimmer&adtype=pla) is what I use to skim the jackets off.

tomme boy
06-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks JIM.

How much are you averaging in Jackets a day when you go?

Jim
06-22-2012, 08:52 PM
I think you're asking how many pounds of jackets I produce in a day. If I have enough 'ore' to run eight pots, about two 5 gallon buckets after demagnetizing. I've never actually weighed them, I just wash, demagnetize and pick out any brass that got by.

Four-Sixty
06-23-2012, 12:12 AM
What about total metal jacket bullets? How do you get the lead out of those when the jackets are still intact?

I've been clipping the jacket of each and every one with wire cutters. Please tell me there is a faster way.

Box13
06-23-2012, 12:22 AM
pinch em with nippers ...Robin

btroj
06-23-2012, 06:53 AM
I find that the lead will flow out of the FMJ just fine. Many are either a thin plating over the core or have a thin copper washer over the base. Either way, get the core melted and it comes right on out.
There is no way I am going to sort thru an entire 5 gallon bucket of bullets and snip all the FMJ with a pair of nippers. I would rather lose a bitof lead than waste that much time.

What would be nice for range lead is a rolling mill of some sort that could start to pulverize the bullets. It would make the jacket pieces smaller and allow all those FMJ to open up easily. Sadly, it would also cost money and be noisy. Oh well, a guy can dream.

Jim
06-23-2012, 07:28 AM
What about total metal jacket bullets? How do you get the lead out of those when the jackets are still intact?

I've been clipping the jacket of each and every one with wire cutters. Please tell me there is a faster way.

I've got customers waiting for multiple 65 lb. boxes. I don't have time to deal with TMJs. If they burst, fine. If they don't, I don't care. I'm not gonna let a dime hold up a dollar.

btroj
06-23-2012, 08:15 AM
I couldn't have said it better Jim.

Inkman
06-23-2012, 11:50 AM
I don't have time to deal with TMJs. If they burst, fine. If they don't, I don't care. I'm not gonna let a dime hold up a dollar.

+1 on that.

Al

jimb16
06-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Now I know what to do with the 1/8th mesh hardware cloth I've got sitting in the garage! Great idea! Thanks

D Crockett
06-23-2012, 07:55 PM
well I use a old speeker magnet with a T handle weilded to it to get my clips out with but the straner idea sounds good if it would fit in my pot D Crockett

Longwood
06-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Cheap Woks often came with wire strainers like Jim gave the link to except they had bamboo handles. I use one sometimes in my bigger pots.
I see them often at yard sales etc for around four bits, or a buck.
The cheap ones work fine for clips but are not strong enough for lead.

daddyseal
06-24-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm runnin' two eight quart pots at the same time, leap frogging them. THIS (http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/8090300/?bnrid=3120901&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Cooks_Tools&cm_pla=Colanders_Strainers&cm_ite=Spider_Skimmer&adtype=pla) is what I use to skim the jackets off.

OK..but there IS no skimming if you melt them in the basket...all metal (be it ww clips, or copper jackets)come out at One time...when you pull basket out and dump it.
I guess my using a lid on my pot helps.

daddyseal
06-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Cheap Woks often came with wire strainers like Jim gave the link to except they had bamboo handles. I use one sometimes in my bigger pots.
I see them often at yard sales etc for around four bits, or a buck.
The cheap ones work fine for clips but are not strong enough for lead.

Those are ok for skimming metal out...but with fryer basket, there is no need.

daddyseal
06-24-2012, 11:12 AM
I've got customers waiting for multiple 65 lb. boxes. I don't have time to deal with TMJs. If they burst, fine. If they don't, I don't care. I'm not gonna let a dime hold up a dollar.

I hear ya...I just put the cast iron lid on my cast iron pot...and watch away under shade tree with a cold drink.

Longwood
06-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Those are ok for skimming metal out...but with fryer basket, there is no need.

I see the strainers I mentioned a lot for cheap.
I will keep my eyes open for a frier basket if and when my strainers ever fail me.

daddyseal
06-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Now I know what to do with the 1/8th mesh hardware cloth I've got sitting in the garage! Great idea! Thanks

It save a Lot of time and effort, friend...glad you liked it.
I am always trying to find ways to do things effectively, but quicker and easier!

Longwood
06-24-2012, 05:22 PM
It save a Lot of time and effort, friend...glad you liked it.
I am always trying to find ways to do things effectively, but quicker and easier!

I am thinking just munch it down in to the pot to shape it then a few strategikly placed hog rings or pieces of tie wire to hold it in shape.

clintsfolly
06-24-2012, 06:08 PM
You northern guys just find a all metal ice skimmer!! Works great and cheap Clint

olafhardt
06-24-2012, 06:59 PM

That mesh is probably coated in zink, but not much.

daddyseal
06-26-2012, 07:07 PM
I see the strainers I mentioned a lot for cheap.
I will keep my eyes open for a frier basket if and when my strainers ever fail me.

I even use those old "chef's baskets-as shown on tv" things...don't know how, but I ended up with 4 of them.

The 1st one is still goin' strong pullin' out my brass.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-26-2012, 07:21 PM
hey thanks for the tip i got about 200lbs to smelt up

daddyseal
06-27-2012, 08:31 AM
hey thanks for the tip i got about 200lbs to smelt up

You are welcome, friend
I was amazed at how well it works...and how much time and effort it saves, on the 1st time I thought to try it!
It just made sense to me.