PDA

View Full Version : .50 Caliber Lyman Deerstalker..........

EMC45
06-21-2012, 10:53 AM
My Dad just bought one of these and we shot it on Father's day. It was a hoot! First time I had shot a flint(flinch)lock. It was nice. We loaded some Speer .490 roundball over a waxed patch over 90gr. FFg. Blackpowder. Accurate and fun. I got a SC Lyman RB mold off of S&S here and have since cast him a nice sizable pile of ball for it. Next he wants a flint pistol.....

Tatume
06-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Hi 45,

I'm glad you and your Dad are enjoying the Lyman. You'll need flints, and there are none better than Tom Fuller black English flints, available from Track of the Wolf. Personally, I like a mix of Ballistol and water for patch lube when target shooting, but don't use it for hunting. The water will cause rust if left in the barrel all day. For hunting I like Mink Oil, also available from Track.

Have fun and shoot often, flintlocks are hard to master.

Take care, Tom

EMC45
06-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Tom,
When he bought the gun it came with 1 lb of FFFFg priming powder, 200+ RBs, 5 extra flints with leather, a mini possibles bag, ball starter, a whole pile of tools (jags, ball pullers, picks etc.), waxed patches, box and manuals. he paid $300 for it local. I don't think it had ever been fired. We changed that....

Tatume
06-21-2012, 01:30 PM
What a deal!

sharps4590
06-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Careful there EMC. The inhaling of black powder smoke has been known to be more addictive than heroin and there's something about flintlocks that is almost as bad. Good fer yer Dad, you and good deal.

I'll 2nd Tatume on the Tom Fuller flints. I've also had exceptional success with the French amber flints.

Boerrancher
06-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Tom Fuller flints are great as well as the French amber ones as has been posted. I also noticed that you are from Georgia. Georgia is richly blessed with good flint/chert. I make many of my own flints, and found it is quite easy. I love Missouri, Burlington Chert for mine, but it can be hard on the Frizzen if you shoot it a bunch, but works great for hunting trips and such because it stays super sharp for a long long time. Even if you never need to make your own flints, it would be worth your while to learn how to make them just in case, because once you learn, it is something that can't be taken away from you.

Best wishes,

Joe

EMC45
06-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks guys for the tips! We both thought it to be a really good deal so he jumped on it. I told him if he didn't, I would. I can see this becoming an addiction as well. We have already talked of making our own powder in the future.......