PDA

View Full Version : 94 ae missfires

nekshot
06-21-2012, 09:40 AM
years ago I bought a 94 ae with no lawyer safeties. The gun was crudy and stiff so I stripped it down cleaned and polished all needed parts. The gun levered way to hard so I cut one and a half coil off mainspring. Now the gun is as slick as snot but one in ten shots will missfire. Primer is dented but not heavy enough. Recock will sometimes fire cartridge, and if it doesn't it will go off in another gun.I still need to lighten trigger but I want to get this thing firing consistently. I tried shimming the main spring tighter, still no help. I polished every moving part and the housing of the trigger but part still misfires. Any solid ideas out there?

pkie44
06-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Make sure you are holding the lever closed, sometimes will get a light strike if not closed tight.

fecmech
06-21-2012, 02:07 PM
The AE trigger( rebounding hammer) is marginal with the full mainspring tension and will sometimes fail to fire primers. You need to replace the mainspring. You can shorten the bottom leg of the hammer strut a bit, that will remove some of the rebound effect which will increase the striking force on the primer. If you do a search on rebounding hammers I'm sure there is a tutorial out there somewhere.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=90894

nekshot
06-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks, to the grinder we go.

nekshot
06-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Thanks fecmech for the info. When following your input it was clear how the hammer was not recieving the best thrust of the spring. Ground till the lower legs slightly cleared hammer putting thrust on upper part and presto got a gun that now goes bang every time.

fecmech
06-22-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm glad it worked out for you.