PDA

View Full Version : My New Toy

swat113
06-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Bought this off my LT. at work, he got it from his girlfriends grandfather who stated he bought it used approx. 60 years ago. I paid a whopping $75 for it, I don't think I got hurt. Wife allowed me to buy it for my Father's Day present. It has a 5 digit serial number

Remington model 6 improved .22, shot it today and it is very accurate.

swat113
06-20-2012, 07:11 PM
sorry for the crappy pictures, had to use my phone.

bruce drake
06-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Excellent little single shot 22 Remington. You need to go give your LT a case of his favorite expensive beer to recover the price of this quality antique. You also need to do something nice to the little lady who allowed you to buy this as it is worth a lot more than $75.

Bruce

williamwaco
06-20-2012, 07:17 PM
I knew a man when I was a teenager who had one of those. He shot only .22 shorts in it and he hunted squirrels. I actually ate one of his squirrels.

For practice he would tack carpet tacks into a board and try to "drive" them into the board before he knocked them loose. He was frequently successful.

swat113
06-20-2012, 07:34 PM
I told LT what it was worth when he bought it and he still refused to make any money off me, as far as the wife I already took care of her.

shooting it today I used win. shorts, rem. subsonics, cci mini-mags, and stingers. It only changed elevation with various loads not windage. I was impressed, it will outshoot my stock 10-22

Nobade
06-20-2012, 07:48 PM
I probably would skip the mini-mags and stingers. It'll last a lot longer if you feed it standard velocity ammo.

canyon-ghost
06-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Winchester Super X in a 40 grain roundnose will carry farther than most. Green Tag is expensive but has some serious accuracy in 22.

You're making my Contender single shot handguns jealous now, man, I'd love to have one of those!

Good Luck,
Ron

swat113
06-20-2012, 07:59 PM
I probably would skip the mini-mags and stingers. It'll last a lot longer if you feed it standard velocity ammo.

I plan on it, I was just shooting what I had.

swat113
06-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Winchester Super X in a 40 grain roundnose will carry farther than most. Green Tag is expensive but has some serious accuracy in 22.

You're making my Contender single shot handguns jealous now, man, I'd love to have one of those!

Good Luck,
Ron

Thanks Ron, I'll keep my eye out for another one, never know what I might run into while on patrol.:redneck:

L Ross
06-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Several of us shoot a Boy's Rifle Match using 22 BPCR silhouette targets at 1/4 of the standard ranges all offhand. We all shoot the same ammo and use CCI CB shorts. I think there are 4 #6's in the group so far. We use the CB ammo in deference to these tired old guns, their mild steel construction, and original inexpensive construction. There are also Hamiltons, 4 different models of Stevens, Hopkins and Allen, Rem #4. Watching a 6 ft 4 in man shooting a #6 in a match is a hoot.
I'd be afraid of shooting my #6 loose using most modern ammo.

Duke

Hang Fire
06-22-2012, 03:21 AM
I told LT what it was worth when he bought it and he still refused to make any money off me, as far as the wife I already took care of her.

shooting it today I used win. shorts, rem. subsonics, cci mini-mags, and stingers. It only changed elevation with various loads not windage. I was impressed, it will outshoot my stock 10-22

Good LT, but that is the way some people are.

My neighbor is like that, sold me a .44-40 Colt SA mfg in 1886 and a JM Marlin Ballard #5 Pacific in .45-70 circa 1878, both in excellent condition for a ridiculous low price. Even after I showed him on the internet what they were actually worth. They had been in his family long as he could remember, said he has no one to leave them to and wanted to be sure they had a good home. I think my favorite son-in-law may be secretly drooling for my early demise, well, at 73 now, would hardly be early.

Hiwall55
06-22-2012, 07:34 AM
I've rebarreled a few old stevens to get them shooting at our club .it is a blast to see people shooting them at our buffalo matches