PDA

View Full Version : Can I Ship or Mail Primed Brass?

wilded
06-20-2012, 08:35 AM
I have some 38/55 primed brass, what is the law on mailing or shipping primed brass? Thanks, ET

Boz330
06-20-2012, 08:52 AM
You can't USPS. And even hazmat through FedX or UPS requires a license to do so I believe.

Bob

NSB
06-20-2012, 09:11 AM
You don't need a license but you do have to put a sticker on the box. You can download the sticker and print it out. Just tape it on the box. Also, UPS won't take it at the retail stores. You have to take it to the shipping center. Other than that, it's not a problem.

Skipper
06-20-2012, 10:59 AM
ET, here's the label:

http://www.type03.net/ammo/orm-d-white-sheet.pdf

wilded
06-20-2012, 11:30 AM
You don't need a license but you do have to put a sticker on the box. You can download the sticker and print it out. Just tape it on the box. Also, UPS won't take it at the retail stores. You have to take it to the shipping center. Other than that, it's not a problem.

Will it require a hazmat fee? Thanks, ET

Ed in North Texas
06-20-2012, 11:47 AM

No. HazMat is for powder and primers (for reloading purposes).

dpaultx
06-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Does UPS charge extra for shipping primed brass or loaded ammo? Or does it have to go Next Day Air or anything like that? I know at one time the only way they would ship handguns was Next Day Air and the cost was outrageous.

Just curious . . . Doug

Mud Eagle
06-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Primed brass does not require a HAZMAT fee, but does have to be labeled and shipped ORM-D.

NSB
06-20-2012, 07:10 PM

There IS a hazmat fee for powder, even for your personal reloading. I've ordered powder before and you always pay a HazMat fee. It's now $27.50 and I believe that only covers eight pounds.

Ed in North Texas
06-21-2012, 07:45 AM
There IS a hazmat fee for powder, even for your personal reloading. I've ordered powder before and you always pay a HazMat fee. It's now $27.50 and I believe that only covers eight pounds.

You are correct that any reloading powders being shipped require a HazMat fee. Primers also require the fee, unless they are in cases and not original packaging.

But the question was whether there would be a HazMat fee for shipping primed brass.

Ed

Stick_man
06-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Ed in North Texas is correct about the HazMat fees. They don't apply to primed brass. Because the primers are considered explosive, they cannot be shipped through the air. FedEx ground or UPS ground would be about the only way to ship them (legally).

Now, if you deprime your brass they would be restriction free anywhere in the USA.

NSB
06-21-2012, 02:08 PM
You are correct that any reloading powders being shipped require a HazMat fee. Primers also require the fee, unless they are in cases and not original packaging.

But the question was whether there would be a HazMat fee for shipping primed brass.

Ed

There is no HazMat fee for shipping primed brass. It's just like shipping ammo. Just need to sticker the box and ship out of a UPS terminal.

HPT
06-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Wouldn't be less hassle to deprime?

Just asking

Ed in North Texas
06-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Wouldn't be less hassle to deprime?

Just asking

Killing the primers with penetrating oil (e.g. Kroil, Liquid Wrench, WD-40), or wetting them with water, and then removing the primer is easy enough to do (particularly with a decapping die)

After decapping they could then be sent USPS in a flat rate Priority Mail box, which would be cheaper and faster than UPS for sure.

Putting an ORM-D label on the outside of a box isn't a big hassle, but getting to a location where you could ship the primed brass might be (sure would be for me, I'm in a rural area).

Ed