PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding worn-out 7mm barrel on antique Loewe Mauser

wellfedirishman
06-20-2012, 01:37 AM
Folks,

I have a nice old antique 7mm Loewe Chilean Mauser 1893, on which the barrel has been shot out (quite worn).

When I first got it, it shot very poorly. Originally the muzzle swallowed a bullet (almost whole). Thinking it was a bad crown, I counterbored it about an inch, and have a nice clean internal muzzle now. This muzzle will not swallow a bullet, and puts good clean rifling marks on a bullet inserted into it. The muzzle diameter is .286-.287 based on a slug made at the muzzle.

I slugged from the chamber end using a .287 cast bullet. There was a good tight fit for about the first 12 inches, then it got progressively looser for 3 inches, then it was absolutely loose (push through by hand) for about 7-8 inches before tightening up at the muzzle again. The overall diameter of the slug was .287 upon exit. I tried this with two slugs with same results each time.

So, it looks like Juan the Cadet used his cleaning rod to ream out the inside of the barrel from just behind the muzzle to a depth of 8 to 10 inches approx, and the rifling is worn down inside. Visually, the rifling is present and can be easily seen as shiny lands over dark grooves, but appears to be too worn to grip bullets properly.

The gun keyholes cast bullets (beagled out to .287" diameter) at 25 yards, and is unstable (oval holes) with regular factory jacketed 7mm ammo. It cannot keep 5 shots on a 24" by 30" paper target at 25 yard. I could get better groups with a slingshot and pebbles.

So, what can be done to improve this? Try to cast even wider diameter bullets? the tight chamber and following 12 inches or so would squeeze bullets down before they hit the loose part and started rattling around.

CUT -- Apparently the NFA regulates short barreled rifles (even if pre-1898 antique) that use a cartridge, so it can't be cut down shorter than the minimum 16" barrel.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I know it could be rebarreled, just wondering whether it is worth the expense or hassle. It would need sights re-installed (front and rear) also, which is $$$.

The action is nice, so this would be a neat custom rifle project, but I haven't the interest or budget for that.

Advice would be appreciated.

Edit to Add:
I found that Numrich sells a 7.62x39 kit for this rifle, for $132:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=48800&catid=11721
However, I am not interested in doing this conversion myself.

Moondawg
06-20-2012, 02:30 AM
Could the barrel be drilled out and a 7mm liner installed? That would save your original barrel, and would seem to be the least expensive.

flounderman
06-20-2012, 08:07 AM
any of the small ring mauser barrels should fit. can't say where the sights will line up. I wouldn't spend any time or money on your barrel. you can, have a takeoff remington 700 barrel threaded for the small ring threads. I would check with some people that put on new barrels and see if they have a takeoff for a small ring thread mauser laying around. many of the large ring 98 turks were small ring threads. caliber was 8mm

pietro
06-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Google is your friend: There's a Small Ring Mauser barrel on gunbroker right now, @ $55, chambered in .300 Savage, that'll fit your rifle.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=292483037

And, MidwayUSA.com carries 7x57 A&B barrels, in-the-white, for your rifle, @ $88:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/641107/adams-and-bennett-barrel-mauser-series-2-7x57mm-mauser-7mm-mauser-f14-contour-1-in-9-1-2-twist-21-chrome-moly-in-the-white

[Screw "out"; screw "in". :D ]

wellfedirishman
06-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks folks for the info. I worked out a trade (for a parts kit) with someone who wants the action for a 45ACP carbine. That is a decent project which puts the action to good use, IMO. Gives me another project to work on too.

Buckshot
06-23-2012, 03:40 AM
...............Best bet for original 7mm Mauser barrels is Springfield Sporters. They'd all be used naturally. You have to call them, and will have to pay extra for them to look for one with a decent bore.

...............Buckshot