PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated

Beekeeper
06-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Honestly I looked but my search foo isn't very good.
I am frustrated with priming pistol cases. The primer pockets seem too small and it is a task to prime very many.
Have a Lyman primer pocket uniformer tool ( what a waste) and am looking for something that works.
What do you have and use and how do you like it?
need to order something as I am not about to break anything priming small pistol cases.

beekeeper

patsher
06-19-2012, 10:48 PM
My favorite priming method is on my Lee cast turret press, as a part of reloading or as a stand-alone primer. Here's a link:

http://leeprecision.com/safety-primer-feed-small-and-large.html

Hamish
06-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Never could understand the deal of priming with a press, the round Lee priming tool is pretty fast,,,,

L Ross
06-20-2012, 09:59 AM
I must admit I'm in agreement with patsher. I have an old stand alone RCBS priming tool, then went to Lee hand priming tool. Now I prime almost everything on my Lee Classic Turret press. The safety prime system is very useful and the leverage advantage of the press gives me and excellent sense of feel.
I only use a hand tool now when I load a single case for breech seating at a schuetzen match.

Duke

MT Chambers
06-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Are you using small pistol primers in the cases that require them?

Wayne Smith
06-20-2012, 11:00 AM
I have used the Lyman uniformer on both military crimp and S&B tight primer pocket brass and had no problem with it. I do chuck it in a drill motor to use it. I prime with the RCBS hand primer setup.

Cowboy T
06-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Are these Sellier & Bellot cases, perchance? I've noticed they tend to have pretty tight primer pockets.

Echo
06-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Are these Sellier & Bellot cases, perchance? I've noticed they tend to have pretty tight primer pockets.

+1 for tight S&B primer pockets

jimb1972
06-20-2012, 03:05 PM
+1 for tight S&B primer pockets

I just primed 300 cases this morning and the S&B were noticably tighter.

geargnasher
06-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Speer .40 S&W and .357 Magnum have been tighter than... I better not say... but they're too dang tight. I use the RCBS small rifle pocket swager and it helps a lot. S&B hasn't given me any trouble yet, but most of those that I haver are LP, like .45 ACP.

Gear

jakharath
06-21-2012, 10:38 AM
S&B are crazy tight. IF you are not running a progressive get a lee hand primer. You can 'feel' if the primer sets right.

While loading on a progressive I've hit a S&B piece of brass and thought I had jammed a primer in a crimped primer pocket.

jmorris
06-21-2012, 11:30 AM
A 1050 works perfectly, even if the cases have crimped primer pockets. A side benefit is that you can precisely set primer seat depth as well.

David2011
06-21-2012, 10:40 PM
In my loading room there's a separate box all of the S&B goes in so I don't try to reload it. Got tired of crushing primers in it. Fortunately, I haven't gotten a significant amount in a long time.

David

wrench man
06-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Never could understand the deal of priming with a press, the round Lee priming tool is pretty fast,,,,

Never could understand a hand priming tool when you can prime them on the press?, it might take two seconds per shell on the Dillon 550B?

handyman25
06-22-2012, 02:01 PM
I have a single stage press so for me the RCBS hand primer works best. I can watch tv with the wife and without looking prime a bunch of cases. I can feel when a primer goes in too hard or too easy, also I can feel the primer seats at the bottom. I have no problems with primers being too high or misfires. Works for me but do what works for you.

lead-1
06-23-2012, 04:36 AM
If you can find a LEE Auto Prime II, they work really well. I used one with my Challenger press for several years and thousands of rounds, I still have mine stashed away in the cabinet in case I want to go back to it.

btroj
06-23-2012, 07:07 AM
I find hat some of the trouble cases are the ones with little to no bevel on the outside edge of the primer pocket. I give these a light hit with my demurring tool and it seems to help.
I have had issues with many different brands from time to time in 45 ACP. The Dillon 550 seems picky at times about this.
I think some of this is getting the primer perfectly aligned with the primer pocket. A little bevel helps this alignment.

largom
06-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Honestly I looked but my search foo isn't very good.
I am frustrated with priming pistol cases. The primer pockets seem too small and it is a task to prime very many.
Have a Lyman primer pocket uniformer tool ( what a waste) and am looking for something that works.
What do you have and use and how do you like it?
need to order something as I am not about to break anything priming small pistol cases.

beekeeper

I use a K&M carbide primer pocket reamer on all of my cases. The reamers are used with an electric screwdriver [battery powered] which makes the work faster. I even use the reamers to clean primer pockets after being fired. I prime all of my cases with a Lee Auto Prime. The reamers have been in use for over 12 yrs. and still work great.

Larry

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-23-2012, 09:29 AM
S&B are crazy tight. IF you are not running a progressive get a lee hand primer. You can 'feel' if the primer sets right.

While loading on a progressive I've hit a S&B piece of brass and thought I had jammed a primer in a crimped primer pocket.

I've always separated S&B pistol brass and sold/scrapped it,
so I have no experience with this...TIL at a gunshow,
I bought 2 boxes of reloaded 7.62x25 with S&B brass.
all the primers look like a Hamfisted gorrilla seated the primers.
Now I know why they looked that way.
Jon

Doc Highwall
06-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Sometimes the radius on the primer pocket edge is too small. Military cases that have had the primers crimped in have to have the crimped material removed.

Years ago I ues to use the RCBS primer pocket swage and it was a bear to use.

Now days I use a Wilson case trimmer that has a tool for removing the crimp with out undue stress on the case rim and does a lot better job then anything else.

Here is a link to it.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=35654/Product/Wilson-Primer-Pocket-Reamers

Beekeeper
06-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Doc Highwall,
Can the Wilson trimmer be adapted to use on a battery operated drill?
Sounds like what I need except I have an extremely large ammount of cases to do.
Getting old and lazy I guess.

beekeeper

dagger dog
06-23-2012, 06:26 PM
I find hat some of the trouble cases are the ones with little to no bevel on the outside edge of the primer pocket. I give these a light hit with my demurring tool and it seems to help.
I have had issues with many different brands from time to time in 45 ACP. The Dillon 550 seems picky at times about this.
I think some of this is getting the primer perfectly aligned with the primer pocket. A little bevel helps this alignment.

A BIG +1

I had some Winchester brass and was having a horrible problem with Wolf LP primers, in fact I BENT my Lee ram prime shell holder trying to seat the primers!

As you stated that little radius cut on the edge of the primer pocket with the chamfer tool was just the ticket,I could then prime with the Lee hand primer and minimal thumb pressure.

Doc Highwall
06-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Beekeeper, I did not see it in the catalog but you could ask them or Sinclair where I bought it from.

The handle does unscrew off of the cutter and there are male threads on the cutter.

tward
06-23-2012, 11:42 PM
+1 on using a chamfering tool to relieve edges of primer pockets on S&B Tim

r1kk1
06-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Doc Highwall,
Can the Wilson trimmer be adapted to use on a battery operated drill?
Sounds like what I need except I have an extremely large ammount of cases to do.
Getting old and lazy I guess.

beekeeper

Yes. That's what I do with a cordless screwdriver.

Take care

r1kk1