PDA

View Full Version : Is this dross normal ?

hhilljr
04-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Hello all:

I've just wrapped up a run of 44-250-KT boolits, which came out pretty well. Still a rank beginner, these bullets may put me at close to 200 projectiles.

I am using wheel weight ingots I bought off of EBay, so I really don't have much knowledge about how they were smelted etc. The guy sells a lot of alloy, and seems to have a lot of good feedback there, for what that's worth.

I flux using Midway's powdered flux, which does create a little filthy looking scum, which I discard. Quite soon, however, the top of the melt has a film floating around that reminds me of aluminum roofing paint. It collects on my ladle, generally looking like crap. If I skim that stuff off, its back in a few minutes.

I finally quit worrying about it while casting, and the boolits look fine, but I still wonder what this stuff is, if I should worry about it, if I should do something differently, of if something may be wrong with my alloy.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sprue
04-24-2007, 10:18 PM
That would be tin that you are seeing on the top along with dirt particles. Its good not to keep removing that as you need tin in your lead. As for the flux, I just use candle wax. Scented kinda flavors things up (LOL). Read all the material(s) that you can find on casting boolets. B safe and don't ever get any water or water droplets, moisture etc close to your hot lead. It will explode!

Hey..just noticed you r from WV.. Cabell Co here

Cya

cbrick
04-24-2007, 11:32 PM
hhilljr and Sprue, welcome to the forum.

I am not familair with Midway's powdered flux, that could be what your seeing. I know Marvelux leaves a gooey mess which is why I stopped using it. Try some plain ole sawdust as flux and see if the problem goes away. If it does what you were seeing was the flux.

Rick

redbear705
04-24-2007, 11:37 PM
hhilljr and Sprue, welcome to the forum.

I am not familair with Midway's powdered flux, that could be what your seeing. I know Marvelux leaves a gooey mess which is why I stopped using it. Try some plain ole sawdust as flux and see if the problem goes away. If it does what you were seeing was the flux.

Rick

That should be DRY sawdust! :)

JR

BigSlick
04-25-2007, 12:02 AM
or... you might use what I have lately.

I take worn out walnut tumbling media and use it to flux.

Oddly enough, it seems to work great.

I run a couple of Lee 4-20's and about a coffee cup full of walnut lasts me several sessions.

When I'm doing a smelt in the big pots and the burner rigs, I use about ? cup per pot.

Otherwise, I use candle wax, but not the scented kind... that's a little too frilly for me :mrgreen:

That, and I have a big box of birthday candles I bought at a yard sale for a buck.
________
E cigarette shop (http://www.ecigarettes123.com/)

454PB
04-25-2007, 12:31 AM
Marvelux works best with bottom draw pots. Assuming this Midway flux is the same or similar to Marvelux, leave that first "scum" on top of the melt. It helps create a barrier and reduce oxidation. The galvanized looking stuff on the surface is oxidizing lead/tin/antimony, and is perfectly normal. You can't stop it from forming, but you can slow it's formation by leaving a barrier on top. That's why the others have recommended sawdust, charcoal, or kitty litter as a flux/barrier.

Any time you use a dipper to cast, you are exposing the melt to more oxygen than when you use a bottom draw. You can still get good results, it just requires more fluxing.

Sundogg1911
04-25-2007, 12:34 PM
I just stir is back in and only remove the powdery dross off the top. I use whatever I have to flux. (Bullet lube, wax, sawdust, motor oil, etc.) I used the marvelux, but I didn't like the hard crust it put on my stirring spoon, and around the rim of the pot. Other than that it worked well.