PDA

View Full Version : Threadlocker?

Sasquatch-1
06-19-2012, 08:23 AM
What is the best type of thread locker to use on a handgun? I have noticed lately that the ejector housing screw and the frame screws are working loose after a shooting session. I tried some locktite blue and the screws were still backing out. Firearm is a mid 70's New Model SBH.

fishnbob
06-19-2012, 08:50 AM
There's a Loctite Red that is supposedly stronger, I would try that. If that don't work, I would put a small drop of superglue on it after I degreased the screw and threads.

GabbyM
06-19-2012, 09:11 AM
I'd like to point out two things.

First: you can remove "permanent" Loctite with a small heat source. Cigarette lighter can work if you can get the fire on the part. Propane torch is more likely.

Second: You’ll probably get light corrosion . Brown gunk s you’ve probably seen with any scope mount screws removed after several years.

Another option is a small dab of silicone gasket sealer. However if blue Loctite already failed I’d not expect the silicone to work. Silicone works by filling in the voids so the screw doesn’t go loose under recoil or any machine with vibration. I’ve personally never had good luck with it on dirt bikes.

You may have best luck with new screws.

MasS&W
06-19-2012, 10:39 AM
I actually have a musicians tip that may help. Clear nail polish on top of the screw (a drop mind you) is the go-to solution to finicky screws. I dunno if it will work as well as it does on saxes and clarinets though.

Longwood
06-19-2012, 11:01 AM
What is the best type of thread locker to use on a handgun? I have noticed lately that the ejector housing screw and the frame screws are working loose after a shooting session. I tried some locktite blue and the screws were still backing out. Firearm is a mid 70's New Model SBH.

The blue Loktite should be plenty strong enough.
Red is much stronger but remember that you used it and warm the part to a little over 200 degrees before attempting to remove or you will be drilling out screws.
Degrease the hole and screw with brake cleaner.
Leave carburetor cleaner on the shelf, it has methyl ethyl ketone which will melt many plastics. etc. etc.

Norbrat
06-19-2012, 07:41 PM
The blue Loktite should be plenty strong enough.
Red is much stronger but remember that you used it and warm the part to a little over 200 degrees before attempting to remove or you will be drilling out screws.

A small soldering iron held to the head of the screw is good for providing local heat when it's needed.

MtGun44
06-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Use Red, you can remove it by heating until the oil on it just starts to smoke, but try
blue one more time after CLEANING the parts well and letting it cure overnight before
use.

Bill

MBTcustom
06-20-2012, 10:54 PM
There's a Loctite Red that is supposedly stronger
Not supposedly, it is very much stronger. I work in a place where we use half of the products that Loctight makes, they make thread-locker in several different strengths. In my opinion, the high-strength red is the only one that works when you have variable temperature extremes, coupled with a lot of vibration and chemical attack. You must clean the threads with acetone very well in order for it to work properly. If you need to remove the screws at a later date, get a soldering iron and sharpen the tip to resemble a flathead screwdriver. Insert the tip into the screw slot and heat it until its good a toasty. While its still hot, try it with a real screwdriver. If it doesn't start coming out, don't force it, but soak it in Kroil overnight, and hit it again with the soldering iron.
Its the best solution.

BadDaditood
06-21-2012, 01:19 AM
Great advice :)

i regularly *shoot the screws loose* on my BH's but was afraid to use red Loctite...

now i can :) thankx

Sasquatch-1
06-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks for everyone replies. It looks like I either keep the screwdrive handy or use the Red Loctite. Might try the blue again since I have a bunch. This time make sure I clean the wholes real well.

MBTcustom
06-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Might try the blue again since I have a bunch.
You're not going to get any lift out of that stuff. just because you have a bunch of it, doesn't make it the right tool for the job. That blue stuff takes forever to dry, and I never found a screw that seemed any more than a little stiff to get out, but hey, maybe it wont let go when you really need it.......
Personally, I would sooner use nail polish than that stuff.