PDA

View Full Version : What's with my nozzle freezing up?

patsher
06-19-2012, 02:35 AM
Bought a new Lyman pot, which I love, EXCEPT -- the nozzle freezes up between bursts of casting. And to get lead moving again, I have to use the propane torch on it. Is this normal? Is there any fix for the problem?

Balduran
06-19-2012, 04:33 AM
may have to turn the heat up a bit more.

mold maker
06-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Mine is the same way. I just keep a self igniting propane burner handy. It only freezes when I take a break long enough for the thermostat to remain off, for an extended time.
I keep an ingot mold under the spout, and during long pauses, I open the spout for a bit, to keep it hot. Adding this back to the pot will activate the thermostat and keep the spout flowing.
Simple answer is keep pouring at a faster rate.

10mmShooter
06-19-2012, 07:25 AM
same here, I run my temp right at 700 and if I stop pouring for more than about 10 mins it will freeze, I keep a small allen wrench handy a quick poke to clear the freeze and its good to go. In my case no need for the torch.

:mrgreen:

waksupi
06-19-2012, 09:29 AM
I would go with more heat. If the dial won't let you go higher, remove the dial, and use a small screwdriver to turn the internal screw clockwise to set it higher.

Boyscout
07-04-2012, 11:56 AM
I use a bent 90 degree piece of piano wire to break the freeze. It works well but it needs a handle to make it easier and safer to use.

guidogoose
07-05-2012, 07:45 PM
I have Lee bottom pour pot. I usually will use a torch to heat up the nozzle. One day as I grabbed the torch, I realized I was out of fuel. I took a flat head screwdriver and used it to prop open the bracket. I stirred the lead with the ladle and after a little while the lead started flowing.