PDA

View Full Version : 54 beck

mainiac
06-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Been shooting marlin levers pretty exclusively all year.Decided to bring my 54 beck longrifle with me.last time i was testing loads.

The .54 is probaly my best shooting smokegun,it shoots under an inch so very easily@ 50 yards.Yesterday was no different,i shot 3,3 shot groups and they all was a ragged hole.The load is 110 ff goex,.530 ball,pocketdrill patch,with lehigh lube.

Guess my point is this,,,,,1700,s technoligy beats 1900,s,,,,,,,very easily.
I have to work hard to find loads that will make my marlin levers shoot small groups,but alot of my smokeguns,just plain shoot.You guys ever noticed this??Im sure you have.

06-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Guess my point is this,,,,,1700,s technoligy beats 1900,s,,,,,,,very easily.
I have to work hard to find loads that will make my marlin levers shoot small groups,but alot of my smokeguns,just plain shoot.You guys ever noticed this??Im sure you have.

Actually, but with some exceptions, yes! A couple of weeks ago had an opportunity to shoot a newly acquired Springfield M1863 T-1 for the first time. Cleaned it really well, changed out the nipple, swabbed with a dry patch, fired one cap, loaded 53 gr FF, dabbed a little Crisco in the base of a N-S minie, rammed it on the powder. Repeated 5 times- circular 1.25" group at 50 yds. Did the same thing about 3-4 months ago with a 45 cal flinter, winter project I'd just completed.

HARRYMPOPE
06-18-2012, 10:40 PM
At 50 yards often yes but at 100 yards typically no.

George

Boerrancher
06-19-2012, 09:31 AM
I need to shoot my 32 cal at 50 yards and see what I can do with it. I know that at 30 it will out shoot any 22RF I have on the place. I have had some good shooting 50 cals over the years, that at 100 yards would shoot as well or better for me than most people could shoot their favorite deer rifle, now is that the guns or the shooters? I don't know but I have pissed off allot of people at public ranges with many of my front stuffers over the years.

Best wishes,

Joe

KCSO
06-19-2012, 09:59 AM
10 yard groups depend onthe sighting equipment on the rifle and the shooters eyes as much as anything else. The last Hawken i built for a friend shot 1 1/2" groups from the bench at 100 yards, for him! The sights were set up for his eyes and he is a very good bench shot with anything. Shooting round ballls requires an advanced degree in reading the wind but with practice a good M/L will give any iron sighted gun a run for it's money.

mainiac
06-19-2012, 08:12 PM
I need to shoot my 32 cal at 50 yards and see what I can do with it. I know that at 30 it will out shoot any 22RF I have on the place. I have had some good shooting 50 cals over the years, that at 100 yards would shoot as well or better for me than most people could shoot their favorite deer rifle, now is that the guns or the shooters? I don't know but I have pissed off allot of people at public ranges with many of my front stuffers over the years.

Best wishes,

Joe

I have a .32 cherokee that i used to shoot alot.Very accurate gun at close range.Accuracy load is 24 grs of shuetzen fff,with the .311 ball.Dead on @ 25 yards,its 12 inches low @ 100,as i recall.
Any wind blowing at all,and it is an almost useless weapon,at that distance.50 yards in the wind is terrible as well.

But,at 20-25 yards,it will pile them in one little ragged hole....neat little pea shooter!

HARRYMPOPE
06-20-2012, 02:00 AM
Muzzloders with round ball are fun and more accurate than some give credit. But they are nowhere close to modern rifles in accuracy in the same hands.Even a good 50 or 54 chunk gun cant compete with a 32 Miller short with similar sights at 100 yards.

George