PDA

View Full Version : Red Dot sight for 29

WARD O
06-18-2012, 03:04 PM
What is a good red dot sight for use on a M29 S&W? I seem to be getting to the age where it might make aiming a little more precise...... How are you mounting it?

Thanks
ward

gray wolf
06-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Ultra dot would be my first choice, I don't have one, wish I had one,
would love to have one for the bisly hunter 44 mag.
From everything I have read and been told they are a very well made quality red dot scope. I think they start at about 150$$ and go up to about 230$$
lifetime replacement warranty. Very clear dot.
Can have it in 1" or 30MM tube, they have different models.
Just remember when you choose a dot size ( 1, 2 ,3 6, M O A ) that is the size the dot covers at 100 yards. So a 3 M O A dot covers a 1 1/2 " area at 50 and about 3/4" at 25 I have a variable on a rifle and use the 3 M O A for most shooting.
I don't like a big blocked out area on my target, I think the 3 M O A is nice at 50 and still OK at 100 Yards,
I have found with my Nikon if I adjust the light intensity just right I can see through the red dot and the black target shows up nice for centering.
A little hard to explain, but it works out nice.
The ultra dot uses regular rings so you need a weaver base of sorts.
I believe wiegang, wiengang or something like that sells bases for the 29 or perhaps B-square.

crabo
06-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Ultradot 4 is what I use with a Weigand mount. I like being able to switch dot sizes. For hunting cornfields, I use a bigger dot. When I am shooting small targets farther away, I use a smaller dot. Never have a problem with the Ultradots. I have 3.

http://www.ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_006.htm

http://www.jackweigand.com/swhpmnt.html

bobthenailer
06-19-2012, 08:24 AM
I have Red dot sights on most of my handguns & 3 rifles ! and i really like them ! I have various brands from 35 to 550 dollars , I started useing them 20 + years ago, the Ultradot in 30 mm with a fixed dot size is a excellent choice, and moderatly priced ! I dont care for selectable variable dot sizes on hard kicking hand guns , just something else to break and the dot size tracking is not allways accurate or totaly repeatable , ok up close but much past 25 yards its critical although some brands dot sizes track better than others.
As for bases for the S&W revolver , i have used the Weigand, EGW and B/SQ bases. with good results with all

onlybrowning
06-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Is it a 29-? Or no dash? Anything with the rear sight rounded at the front should be drilled and tapped. 29-5 and later I believe. Another option if you want light and very simple is the Leupold Deltapoint. Pretty pricey, but can be bought with the mount for Smith revolvers. It's a real slick setup. I like the 7.5 MOA delta dot and aim using the tip of the triangle.

I also like my Ultradot Matchdot because I like a small dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WARD O
06-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Lots of good ideas to think about - keep your opinions coming please - and thanks to all.

ward