PDA

View Full Version : postal rates going up

44woody
04-24-2007, 01:25 PM
just learned that as of May 14 flat rate boxes that weigh over 20 lb will no longer be $8.10 they are going to charge according to weight of the box I guess all good things come to end :castmine: 44Woody

3006guns
04-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Had a feeling that would happen....just sent over 40lbs. of lino to BigSlick....glad we didn't wait. You should have seen the look on the lady's face at the P.O. when she slid the box over to her side of the counter. Priceless......

Sundogg1911
04-24-2007, 03:33 PM
that figures. I just ordered 20 flat rate boxes from the post office :-(

jballs918
04-24-2007, 03:35 PM
but up to 20lbs is ok right, still at 8.10

Scrounger
04-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Still a good deal. If people abuse a good thing, it usually gets taken away from them. They never anticipated (nor intended) shipping lead in those boxes. I wouldn't be surprised if some people found out lead was being shipped by mail, they'd have a calf; probably forbid shipping lead at all because of the "hazard to their health".

Johnch
04-24-2007, 08:01 PM
Still a good deal. If people abuse a good thing, it usually gets taken away from them. They never anticipated (nor intended) shipping lead in those boxes............

How exactly is it abuse ?
To follow their rules
They said $8.10 for this box if it weighs less than 70 or 75 lb ( can't remember witch )

So I have them ship boxes that weigh 50 - 60 lb regularly , not always lead
Last one was 50 lb of tungsten based shot for duck hunting

IMO they just figured out they were loosing $$ so like any other business that was loosing $ on a product or service, they changed the price

Johnch

targetshootr
04-24-2007, 08:18 PM
I know one mailman who will be glad to hear this after lugging one 70 lb box of boolits to my door (before I started casting).

[smilie=1:

Underclocked
04-24-2007, 08:55 PM
"Priority Mail
The price for our Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope continues to be the same as the (unzoned) 1-pound rate, $4.60. The Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes are now a permanent product offering and the price, regardless of weight, contents or distance traveled, will be $9.15. And we retain the "no fee" electronic Delivery Confirmation service option, available through Click-N-Ship and for manifest mailing systems (MMS) mailers."

http://www.usps.com/mailpro/2007/marapril/marapril.pdf

I don't see the 20lb limit. ?

44woody
04-24-2007, 11:31 PM
I was told at the post office that they would charge by the weight if it was over the 20 lbs weight limit starting on May the 14 th that is what I am basing my info on so I guess more of us need to go or call the post office in our area and see what they say:castmine: 44Woody

nvbirdman
04-26-2007, 12:12 AM
So they didn't anticipate the public sending heavy items in their flat-rate boxes.
I wonder if Sarah Brady would call this a loophole?

45nut
04-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Just because they may have lost on a few overweight boxes it was certainly not the majority of the shipments in the flat rate system. Just as the Federal Reserve may loose a penny on a penny that loss is more than offset by the dimes and quarters and the FRN's.

The USPS is just taking another slice of the ever-shrinking dollar.

Try living on $284.00 a month in 2007 as workers compensation in co-operation with crooked and corrupt doctors and the collaboration of the employer you gave ten years to conspires to make every moment not only painful but slowly drives you to bankruptcy and loss. Add the evaporation of the support of your former co-workers and you realize that a lot of people are purely willing to cast you into the very abyss we all hope to avoid.
I will not be forgiving of the ones that have looked aside and will not be forthcoming with help when the tides turn on them. rant over.

fatnhappy
04-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Try living on $284.00 a month in 2007 as workers compensation in co-operation with crooked and corrupt doctors and the collaboration of the employer you gave ten years to conspires to make every moment not only painful but slowly drives you to bankruptcy and loss. Add the evaporation of the support of your former co-workers and you realize that a lot of people are purely willing to cast you into the very abyss we all hope to avoid.
I will not be forgiving of the ones that have looked aside and will not be forthcoming with help when the tides turn on them. rant over.

I clearly remember spending every weekend for a couple young summers out at a farm near the NY/PA border while my father labored to help the owner keep the farm. He was a Union brother in need, enough said.

I also remember how many brothers came to see him as he wasted away with cancer.

America has changed,
Dean

Halfbreed
04-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Dean, You certainly got that one right. What the heck happened?
John

Paul B
04-28-2007, 06:12 PM
About three weeks ago, a friend that I'd loaned a mold returned it with 35 pounds of wheel weights, nice and cleaned in one of those flat rate boxes. The mailman actually made me walk out to the truck to take possesion. he said it was too heavy for him to pick up. I'll give him a pass as he looks older than dirt and maybe in poor health. However, the WW were a pleasant surprise. I was not expecting that. Bug, if you come here at all, thanks again.
Paul B.

Scrounger
04-28-2007, 06:54 PM
About three weeks ago, a friend that I'd loaned a mold returned it with 35 pounds of wheel weights, nice and cleaned in one of those flat rate boxes. The mailman actually made me walk out to the truck to take possesion. he said it was too heavy for him to pick up. I'll give him a pass as he looks older than dirt and maybe in poor health. However, the WW were a pleasant surprise. I was not expecting that. Bug, if you come here at all, thanks again.
Paul B.

The relief carrier here is a big red-headed woman from Alaska. A couple of years ago someone sent me two Flat Rate boxes with 60 pounds of lino in each one. She horsed those boxes out of her truck and onto my back porch a damn sight easier than I could have done in my prime. If I ever had a prime, that is...

klw
04-28-2007, 09:34 PM
The way I read the post office site the flat box rate will increase slightly but it will still be for anything up to 70 pounds.

leftiye
04-29-2007, 04:10 PM
A guy in Hawii told me that the price for shipping lead will be the same for 40 lbs as the flat rate is now. (imagine shipping lead from Hawaii by air for $8.10 for 70 lbs?)