PDA

View Full Version : Lee Drive Key Slug 1oz

thauge
06-17-2012, 11:40 PM
I'm looking for loading data for the Lee Drive Key 1oz slug. I have the data that comes with the mold, but am curious about others experience and loads they have tried. Also, how much difference dose the hull type make?

fcvan
06-18-2012, 12:19 AM
I've never loaded a slug but I thought a 1oz shotgun load was a 1oz shotgun load. I'm sure folks with way more experience will chime in with more enlightening data (and probably a few well deserved comments regarding my ignorance) and I hope to learn something along the way. Frank

MBTcustom
06-18-2012, 12:55 AM
how much difference dose the hull type make?
It can make a huge difference. Not just the hull, but the primer, and the wad also.
Look at Hodgdon's website. You can use any of the 1oz load data, but make darn sure you use the right hull, wad, primer, and of course powder combination.
Also, we have a place here called "casting for shotguns" In the future your post will get a lot of visibility from the right experts if you post over there.

BadDaditood
06-18-2012, 02:24 AM
the new Lyman Shotshell reloading manual has a good slug section and the front of the book will explain what a Huge difference components make in shotshells as well... the metal is a LOT thinner on shotguns, SAAMI max around 12,000 psi for 12 ga.
i didn't know there was a "casting for shotguns" here... i believe i'll go there now :)

44man
06-18-2012, 08:25 AM
I am ignorant with slugs. Been trying for years with every slug and ball with not much luck. I never got near what factory slugs do. I even bought a rifled barrel.
The weak link is the wad and I have about every wad made, none are tough enough.
Even the Lyman slug has wads blown into the hollow base but WW factory loads work. I duplicate WW and fail.
Plastic wads with the Lee shear petals and crunch up.
I bought a kit of Hammer Head slugs once and they were deadly at 100 yards but all of my own stuff has sucked.
Slugs are on the back burner anyway, I do not hunt with them but if you get any working, please help.
I have to go to the forum too.