PDA

View Full Version : Babbit

Side by Side
06-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Is there any use for babbit in casting boolits?

Wayne Smith
06-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Absolutely. What kind of babbit? There are several, most including a small amount of copper. This small amount makes the boolit tough without becoming brittle.

Click on the RotoMetals logo above and see how many different babbits there are.

evan price
06-18-2012, 06:18 AM
There's basically low speed babbitt which is mostly lead with some tin and antimony, and there is high speed babbitt which is mostly tin with some other metals. Could be copper, antimony, lead, etc.
Either way it is good for sweetening a pot of other lead for casting alloys. The amount of copper etc. in babbitt is small and no big deal for casting boolits.

badgeredd
06-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Is there any use for babbit in casting boolits?

If you can find out what babbitt you have have, you'll be able to alloy it into pure lead, WW, or a mix of the two to be able to come up with an excellent boolit alloy. Experience has shown me that some babbitt alloys are extremely useful in alloying lead for high speed rifle cartridges. Actually there are several past threads on the subject.

Edd

Mayhaw2
06-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Hello Gang, I have several Hundread Pounds of #4 Babbit in ingots.
That was used to pour Babbit Bearings, Wonder if this stuff would make good
Boolets? Or do I have to put some stuff with it..............Thanks
Mayhaw2

evan price
06-19-2012, 03:18 AM
Hello Gang, I have several Hundread Pounds of #4 Babbit in ingots.
That was used to pour Babbit Bearings, Wonder if this stuff would make good
Boolets? Or do I have to put some stuff with it..............Thanks
Mayhaw2

Formulas for #4 may vary by supplier, but you will typically see roughly 8-10% antimony, maybe 1% tin, balance lead. Great for using to alloy a pot of other lead.