PDA

View Full Version : brass ?

Digger
06-16-2012, 10:17 PM
thought maybe to ask in this forum ..... Just picked up 350 pieces of 762.51 military crimp ... so figuring it is once fired ..... paid $17.50 , to much , or a good deal ?
On the learning curve here for .308 and looking forward to it ,... just getting bits and here and there when I can.

digger

SciFiJim
06-17-2012, 12:46 AM
5¢ each seems like a good price to me. If they are crimped, you have a bit of work ahead of you. If they are berdan primed, they can be converted to boxer, but that requires even more work. Still, extra brass in hand is always a good thing.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-17-2012, 10:59 AM
It some what depends on what your end goal is.

For example, a few years back I bought up a bunch of Military .308 brass from Cabelas.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Started to seperate the cases by head stamp and I couldn't get any worth while quanity of any one head stamp.

And since the end goal was to come up with a good sized batch of .243 brass formed from the .308 brass AND considering the work of forming and then neck turning all of that brass to make it usable in a great shooting .243, it wasn't worth the effort.

I found a home for all of it.

If your wanting to just have brass to make your .308 go bang, as said above, good buy.

If on the other hand you are wanting good sized qualities of like brass, well time will tell.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Digger
06-17-2012, 01:07 PM
thanks for the input guys .... most of it is Lake City ... boxer ... just the occasional FN berdan or other ..
The other was 50 of winchester and 50 PMC ..
Not necessary to separate the LC by year is it ? , I am not quite that fussy (yet) since being on the learning curve for the gas gun ?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Digger,

As said, depends.

Like other components, it is best to keep to one lot number on powder, primers and brass etc, for the best/greatest consistancy.

If however you have a digital scales you can weed out any really heavy cases that might give you dangerious pressure problems.

I like to sort by maker and year, but with Military brass you are likely still not getting down to the production lots when seperating by year.

CDOC

felix
06-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Select match brass by shooting groups. Brass that shot out of the accepted group, put into a separate pile. This is how to select BR brass. Increase the odds by weighing cases from a lot of cases thought to be the same via weight, brand, hardness, etc. Do NOT prep cases in advance. Re-test the final cases for match only after all prep has been done, including neck turning. Those individuals that fail the final test should not be kept for future consideration.

Naturally, bench guns will require neck turing. This being the situation, it is foolish not to go ahead and fully prep the cases as one entire lot. How many individual cases depends on your prepping stamina. Bench guns only need 8 cases for the life a typical barrel, unless 10 shot groups are required in the registered matches. Then you might say 15 cases are required. ... felix