PDA

View Full Version : open reloading powder

turmech
06-16-2012, 09:44 PM
I just bought someones complete reloading set up. This was purchased from someone who inherited it from their father. This person new very little about what he had. The purchase included some opened partially used 1 lb powder containers.

Two H110, one little gun, one herco by Hercules, one international clays, one universal clays.

Should I use any of this powder or would it be too dangerous not knowing the potential of someone putting the wrong powder in a container?

Can Alliant herco data be substituted for Hercules herco?

The package included some MEC loaders which have powder left in the bottles. They are nearly full. I have examined the contents of the bottles and compared them to the powers purchased in the containers. They appear to have universal in one and international in the other.

Would anyone consider using the powder in the MEC? Anyone know of other powders which look exactly the same as universal or international which may be easily confused?

I am thinking none of it should be used just looking for opinions before I dispose of it.

Cherokee
06-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Spread it on the lawn, no way for you to really tell for sure with open containers. Why take a chance ?

MtGun44
06-16-2012, 10:28 PM
I would at least do a basic look at each one to see if it visually matches what it is supposed
to be. If it passes that, then I'd load a 1/2 of "normal" single load with some of each and see how it
behaves. If that was normal (low), I'd move up to 3/4 power and if it seems normal, then assume that
it is what it says it is.

Bill

WHITETAIL
06-16-2012, 10:31 PM
I would not take a chance.
dump it in the compost pile.:holysheep

Heavy lead
06-16-2012, 10:31 PM
My vote is no, don't risk it.
But either way, good luck.

fatelk
06-16-2012, 10:45 PM
I agree with MtGunn44. I have done that very thing before, carefully.

On the other hand, I had an experience with an opened can of powder when I first started loading that was nearly disastrous. The used shotgun reloader I bought came with several cans of powder, and the previous owner had reused an empty can, filling it with a faster powder, and labeling it as such on the bottom of the can. I couldn't understand why the hulls were coming out of my Mossberg 500 with the crimp looking completely ironed out.

Needless to say I'm pretty careful about such things nowadays. It's a judgement call based on experience. I've used some when there was no reason to suspect it was anything but what it should be, and I have thrown plenty out as well. If there are any doubts at all, or you're just not comfortable with it, then Cherokee's advice is best- not worth the risk.

turmech
06-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Kind of torn of what to do. That is why I asked for opinions.

Visually it seems correct. All powder in a given container matches by looking at it. The condition of the all the stuff looks as if the original owner was fairly meticulous. Being a tightwad and not wanting to dispose of anything I could shoot.

But it would cost much less to replace the powder than to replace a gun or a hand.

thanks for the advise

flipajig
06-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Do not under load H110 very bad thing will happen. I don't know about the others if you don't trust the label dump it on the lawn it will make good fertilizer.

turmech
06-16-2012, 11:06 PM
I was aware of the issue with reducing charges of H110. That is a good point and reminder.

I am still not sure I will do anything with the powder other than dispose of it. The good news is the H110 powder is one of the ones I purchase which I have used in the past and in fact have some on hand that I bought new for comparison. The other powders I have not used in the past.

DeanWinchester
06-16-2012, 11:16 PM
I had over 5lbs in various containers that was given to me. It sat in my shop for a while, tempting me. I had several plans to do this or that but I was unsure if it was good or contaminated.......I finally solved my dilemma
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNmKnkPnZkU

fatelk
06-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Wow, that's quite a flame! I burned a bunch of suspect 4831 once, but it wasn't quite as impressive. One thing I don't mess with anymore is powder on the edge of going bad.

Being a tightwad and not wanting to dispose of anything I could shoot.

But it would cost much less to replace the powder than to replace a gun or a hand.
I understand that dilemma. There is a certain feeling of relief seeing questionable powder go up in flames, like DeanWinchester's video.

On the other hand, I have a nearly full 8lb keg of 473AA, and 5lb keg of 700X that came with a bunch of reloading stuff from an estate. I very carefully determined that they were both good to use and safe. I just couldn't see dumping that much powder.

geargnasher
06-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Just an opinion, but I agree a little bit with everybody. My "common sense" would be if it's less than a pound of powder, and it's like H110 where you wouldn't want to reduce it, just get rid of it. If it's several pounds of powder that seems to be what the can says, and you can assemble a reasonable and safe test to "prove" it out, it would be worth the time to approach it that way. If it acts weird at all, ditch it. It's not worth fooling with for a half-pound of Unique, for example. Some powders, like the "dot" powders, are positively identifiable by appearance alone, but with most of them it can be really hard to tell for certain. Sometimes it's just not worth it over $8 worth of powder.

Gear

Longwood
06-17-2012, 12:29 AM
:veryconfu
All I can say is.
You guys that dump out unburned powder must have been city kids.

If you are going to burn it, at least add some black powder and maybe some copper or strontium.

Never mind, I was kidding, so don't sue me.

Hang Fire
06-17-2012, 02:04 AM
Not being a thrill seeker, I would dump it.

HighHook
06-17-2012, 02:33 AM
I would shoot it up in the 12ga. They are powder burners

Lead Freak
06-17-2012, 04:39 AM
You're only talking about a couple of 1lb containers here. Even if they were 8lb containers, I'd be dumping it! You shouldn't take the chance.

L Ross
06-17-2012, 09:08 AM
I can truthfully say I have gladly gotten deals on partial containers of powder many times. I take a close look, compare to a known sample, smell it for freshness and shoot it up. I wish I lived near you, I'd drive over to pick it up for disposal, one shot at a time.
I have cut down shot shells reloads given to me, i.d'd the powder and shot it up in light plinking revolver loads. I'm not suggesting being reckless, however it seems a pity to waste perfectly good powder. Some day you may wish you had it back, really badly.

Duke

Rocky Raab
06-17-2012, 09:47 AM
I'd toss the powder still in the press bottles. I 'd examine the stuff in the labeled cans closely to see that it looks like what it is purported to be, and that no "different" kernels are mixed in. Then I'd use the canned stuff as advertised, following the usual rules about testing new powders.

If you have an established reference load like my "95% Solution" article describes, that would be a much simpler test, btw.

tacofrank
06-17-2012, 11:15 AM
I'd dump it out !

snuffy
06-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Turmech, you don't say where your experience level for reloading is. IF you're a beginner, then the people here that have said burn or spread it are 100% right.

Now as for me, I've been loading for 50 years, and have handled at LEAST 50 different powders in that time. I'd simply compare it with a known sample, then use it up.

The powder left in the mec bottles is junk. You don't know how long it's been in there and whether it's been exposed to a lot of sunlight. That breaks powder down much quicker.(The reason powder bottles are made of black plastic or metal.)

Storage conditions for the rest is also a factor. You have no way of knowing if it was stored at room temps, or exposed to extremes. If it smells right and has no rust colored dust in it, then it's good to go,,,---at least for right now!

skeet1
06-17-2012, 03:38 PM
I agree with L Ross & snuffy. Do what you want with it but if it were me I would check it out and then shoot it.

Ken

Longwood
06-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Not being a thrill seeker, I would dump it.

I guess I am,,,
I have a cabin in Meadview.
I sometimes take my Ultralight airplane there.
I rode from Temple Bar up to Separation point in the Canyon and back on my standup Jetski for my 60th birthday.
I have a Quad and a Dune Buggie, with a Paraglider rack.
In the 70's I flew Hangliders from every mountain I could find a way to the top of, including Glacier Point in Yosemite and Dante's Lookout in Death Valley. I can honestly say I have spit two miles before.
I almost broke my fools neck, racing a mountain bike down a mountain with a bunch of teenagers when I was 54.
I broke my collar bone last Halloween when I landed wheels up with my Ulalight plane.
I make my own black powder now. And played with making it when I was a kid.
I have guns and have since 1953 and have always liked making things that go boom.
I had made three cannons by the time I was 18.
That reminds me, I need to order the stuff to make some more exploding targets.
Good powder, old or otherwise, does not go to waste at my house.

Maybe it is because of growing up in the country where people knew how to do things.
I have often thought about how boring growing up in a big city must be.

gwpercle
06-17-2012, 05:19 PM
I never could smell the difference between good powder and bad powder, just not enough experience and/or a sensitive enough nose...but the rusty looking dust is a sure sign that the powder should be discarded.

Bigslug
06-17-2012, 05:33 PM
The powder in the loader itself - pour it out on the concrete and have yourself an early 4th of July party.

As to the cans, what's your level of doubt about the original owner? Seem to me that as he was USING different powders, he'd be likely to understand that you need to segregate them and pay attention to the labels. Personally, I'd load it, but let your paranoia be your guide.