PDA

View Full Version : Lots of empty .22 magnum boxes ....

Jack Stanley
06-16-2012, 09:16 PM
I came back in from shooting the Savage 93GL this morning and added a few more of those plastic ammo boxes to the pile . So far there's five hundred rounds from that type of ammo down the tube and probably another two hundred or so of Winchester Super-X and Dynapoint .

The rifle is shooting better now than before , a lot of that is because of pillar bedding it . I think though that the rifle is becoming more tolerant of some types of ammo . For example , when new it didn't like Dynapoint ammo at all and now it is .... shall we say tolerable The best ammo bar none for this rifle is some nine year old Remington Accu-tip that will send them through the same hole . Thinking I oughta get some more , I bought two boxes of recent manufature . Now THAT was a waste of a good forty dollars :oops:

Runner up in the accuracy department is believe it or not is Federal forty grain FMJ "Champion" ammo . Very consistant ammo not only in the Savage but also in another magnum I'm testing . It's good enough that I called Graf and asked Chris to send me a case of this stuff . The didn't have the same lot number so I'm taking a chance on Federals quality control .

Just behind that and very closely I will add is some eleven year old Winchester Super-X forty grain hollow point ammo . The single hole it makes is a little larger and more ragged than the Federal stuff but still well within the kill zone of the local chuck population . I bought a couple boxes of new manufature ammo and it wasn't as good as this (ahem) "vintage" :razz: ammo . So I will have to save what I have left for hunting along with my tiny supply of old Reminton Accutip ammo . I will say that the CCI 22 WMR HP forty grain ammo did pretty well so maybe I could get along with more of that .

I tried nearly every brand of the new fangled plastic/polymer/wonder/heat seeking/radar controlled/just short of nuclear tipped ammo . All of it with the exception of that old Remington Accutip shot low Some by two inches and some by more than that . I was hoping to have something close to my practice ammo but that doesn't look like it's going to happen .

Of the fancy ammo the most consistant was the Federal that was loaded with the Speer "TNT" bullet . The worst ??? the Federal plastic tip stuff ... go figure huh? The Hornady stuff was OK but I'm not impressed , if it was more consistant , I'd buy it . I can't help but wonder if the rifle just doesn't like lighter bullets . With Hornady having the forty grain "V-Max" bullet , it seems to me that it would be a winner loaded to nineteen hundred feet per second like all the rest of them . As long as they were consistantly accurate I bet they'd work real well . You don't hear Hornet owners complaining do ya ?

I hope as the barrel smoothes out some it starts to like some of these other ammo types . I don't see the point of impact of the forty and thirty grain bullets getting any closer to each other though .

Jack