PDA

View Full Version : Converting Old Dillon PD's to the new type

gcollins
06-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Hi All,
Before I ask my question I want to explain a little.30 years ago I bought the top of the line RL450, I bought more conversion sets and there are some to this day I havn't used and I have moved 6 times over that 30 years and have lost stuff every move:evil: and most of you all won't believe this next statment, but I have never bought a part for it (other than up date's) I could not tell you how many 1000's and 1000's of rounds threw it:drinks: Here about 6 years ago I bought a real bargin on ebay, it was listed as a RL550 and I took that to the bank,I got it and it works great!
Here a couple years ago I traded for a Dillon RL550:) when I get it and unpack it, it has auto prime and auto powder dump. It's just like all the Dillons I have owned it runs like a top!:Fire:
Here it is: I only have 1 auto dump, I have 5 Older PD's, has any one made anything that that a person like me that can make what ever it takes to make Old work like new ones:roll::roll: I have looked and thought and look again and I just can't come up with anything. I don't want anyone to think I am wanting someone to do the work and then I would sell the design:Fire::Fire::Fire:
Just to make it clear: I would sign a legal a doc. stating just what I said above!
Greg

Alvarez Kelly
06-17-2012, 01:25 AM
The Dillon manual powder measures use a different casting than the automatic powder measures. The powder bars themselves are different (narrower) also. I have never heard of or seen any kind of conversion. That said, there are many who still want the manual measures. You could sell them as you convert to the automatic measures if you were so inclined.

FYI, there are at least 3 models of "automatic" measures and at least 2 different castings for the automatic measures. If you want all you measures to be the same, you must make sure you know which model you have and/or which model you are looking for...

Good luck with your upgrade. :-)

gcollins
06-17-2012, 09:43 AM
That was a shot in the Dark! I am pretty good at figure another way to do things and I have gave several hours to the thought of a conversion, for me I think I will just keep on doing as I was and maybe someday I will find a bargin on some of the auto dumps! You mentions about 3 different auto dumps, so I need to call Dillon tec support and ask them what to look at to find the good ones?
Thanks
Greg

Artful
06-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Or you can just buy a Lee auto disc powder measure - I did that to my Dillon RL-300

Alvarez Kelly
06-17-2012, 08:59 PM
That was a shot in the Dark! I am pretty good at figure another way to do things and I have gave several hours to the thought of a conversion, for me I think I will just keep on doing as I was and maybe someday I will find a bargin on some of the auto dumps! You mentions about 3 different auto dumps, so I need to call Dillon tec support and ask them what to look at to find the good ones?
Thanks
Greg

Dillon's first "automatic" powder measures were case activated. They had return springs for the powder bar and no "linkage" to the rest of the press. Then came a model with a single hole in the actuator arm. It still used return springs. It was designed to help prevent "empty" or under charged cases. The current model uses compound actuator arms with a slot in them. They are designed to prevent accidently under AND over charging. They both open and CLOSE the powder bar.

I like the current model. It works well. The problems I have heard of were all fixed with proper adjustment.

I hope that helps.

Good luck! :-)

WILDEBILL308
06-17-2012, 09:40 PM
I have been using Dillon since the "new"550 came out. When I called in my order they told me if I could wait a little they had a new press with a removable tool head coming out and they would sell it to me for the same money. I have 3 sq deals and a 550 and I don't like the auto powder measure. I like to be able to back up or re do some thing in first spot with out dumping powder all over. I have never had a problem with the cartridge actuated powder meshed. I do lube with powdered Teflon and have an extra spring.
Bill

Alvarez Kelly
06-18-2012, 01:00 AM
I have been using Dillon since the "new"550 came out. When I called in my order they told me if I could wait a little they had a new press with a removable tool head coming out and they would sell it to me for the same money. I have 3 sq deals and a 550 and I don't like the auto powder measure. I like to be able to back up or re do some thing in first spot with out dumping powder all over. I have never had a problem with the cartridge actuated powder meshed. I do lube with powdered Teflon and have an extra spring.
Bill

See there! Maybe you can trade your auto measure to gcollins for one of his manual ones.

DukeInFlorida
08-14-2012, 11:33 AM
I sent in an old RL550b for rebuild, including some old powder measures (spring types).....

They sent me the updated RL550b, and all new powder measures, with the return rod.

I'd suggest that you send the press to them, and pay the cheap $$$ to have them do a factory rebuild.