PDA

View Full Version : What could happen..

Hednign
06-16-2012, 05:38 AM
Yes, what could happen if you store your finnished bullits in the freezer? Im sure the lead doesn`t matter, but what about the lube? Im using Emmerts most of the time. Would my bullet lube be useless after thawing up? I don`t think so, but what do you experts say?

adrians
06-16-2012, 07:04 AM
whay would you put them in the freezer,?

dale2242
06-16-2012, 08:58 AM
I have no idea what would happen.
Seems an easy answer to your question would be to try a small batch....dale

Grandpas50AE
06-16-2012, 09:02 AM
I would think it depends on what is in the lube. As long as there are no water-base components in the lube, I doubt it would hurt anything when they thaw. JMHO.

Hednign
06-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Pretty much what Im thinking too. Ill try a small batch and see what happens.

The reason why I would like to keep them in the freezer is that they would be better to deal with when my reloading room gets too hot. Keeping them in a box just make them messy. The big bullets ok, but those small 32 bullets for my 32-44 revolver is a pain in the *** when they get messy. I drop at least 98% of them when reloading. There is just no way in h I can use to fingers holding those small darn things.

Another thing is that some of my lube holds kind of little beeswax and a lot of lard. Over time the lube gets kind of rotten. In a freezer it would last.

rhbrink
06-16-2012, 09:47 AM
I know a feller that shoots Schuetzen a lot in the summer months also works a lot in the summer and has most of the winter off so he cast all the boolits that he needs lubes them puts them in 50 and 100 round boxes wraps those in cellophane and freezes. Takes them out as needed fresh as the day he put them in. He makes his own lube so I don't know what's in it but apperars similar to Emmerts.

crabo
06-16-2012, 10:11 AM
I did that once with a bunch of water dropped so I could easily size them later. However I never did try it. I just pulled them out and and melted them down again after they warmed up.

SlippShodd
06-16-2012, 11:44 AM
I used to store .358 wadcutters sized in alox lube in the garage fridge to keep them from sticking together. The lube stayed on the boolits and they were nice to handle when loading.

mike

45-70 Chevroner
06-16-2012, 12:01 PM
I think it would depend on how long you keep them in the freezer. I think the lube would get freezer burned, kind of like meat after a period of time. Try it though and if it does not work give them new life in a melting pot.

GRUMPA
06-16-2012, 12:20 PM
I tried it a long time ago and I had LBT lube on them. IIRC the lube came off when I thawed them out, don't know if it was handling or what but with the other half always moving things around in the freezer trying to find god knows what I abandoned the idea and just store some without lube on them.

sqlbullet
06-16-2012, 05:38 PM
I keep my lube sticks in the freezer.

Lubed boolits I have put in there as well. The lube stuck fine for me as long as I didn't shake them up while they were frozen.

This was Felix lube + a crayon.

shoret
06-16-2012, 06:08 PM
I ve never done it , but I might try a small group ..Its pretty hot here where I live and sometimes the boolits get a bit messy during reloading ...

Jim
06-16-2012, 06:29 PM
First thing that comes to mind is if the boolits are cold and then exposed to humidity, moisture would condense and they'd be coated with condensation. I'd let them assume room temp and completely dry before I'd do anything with them.

WHITETAIL
06-17-2012, 01:07 AM
I do not size/lube :cbpour: them untill I need them?

Longwood
06-17-2012, 01:54 AM
:confused:
Why not KISS and do away with the lard?
There are at least a million lube recipe's that have not been invented yet that do not use lard.

Longwood
06-17-2012, 02:02 AM
That brings up an idea.:kidding:
Shrink fit.
Heat the brass a little then simply slide in the frozen and smaller bullet by hand and hold in place until the two temperatures even out and lock the bullet in place.
It sure would save on die costs.

olafhardt
06-17-2012, 02:58 AM
Shrink fit.
Heat the brass a little then simply slide in the frozen and smaller bullet by hand and hold in place until the two temperatures even out and lock the bullet in place.
Your kiddimg right? Heating primed brass? I am not gping to do it.

Bret4207
06-17-2012, 07:58 AM
I don't use Emmerts, but my sized and lubed boolits and often loaded rounds sit in my unheated, uncooled gun room in the barn. They sit in temps from -25 F (if not lower) to +100F (rarely thank goodness) with no problems I can see.

Casper29
06-17-2012, 09:46 PM
I keep cast boolits on hand unsized and unlubed until I need to load them, and once loaded I keep them in a spare room in the house for climate control until I go to the range.

303Guy
06-18-2012, 04:44 AM
Your kidding right? Heating primed brass? I am not going to do it.Not 'heating' but warming. The idea crossed my mind too. It might work. Not sure how much expansion and contraction would occur though.

frkelly74
06-18-2012, 06:48 AM
A solution for a nonexistant problem????

Jim
06-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Not 'heating' but warming. The idea crossed my mind too. It might work. Not sure how much expansion and contraction would occur though.

If I'm missing something, please turn on the light for me.

Seems to me that, at some point, the powder charge has to go in the case ahead of the boolit. If the case is hot (or warm, if you please) enough for the case mouth to expand to allow the easy installation of the boolit, might there be any danger in the primer and/or powder going off?

I haven't thought this through nor have I done any investigation into just how hot a case might need to be to expand the mouth, so I really have nothing to offer on this subject. It just seems to me, though, that heating a case with a live primer and/or powder charge would be inherently dangerous.

TheBigBang
06-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Shrink fit.

People,

I believe Longwood was just jerking the guys chain... :kidding:

By the way, I'd suggest vacuum bagging before freezing, this will prevent "freezer burn" & keep them from spoiling longer. They'll taste fresher too! ;)

Longwood
06-18-2012, 01:14 PM
People,

I believe Longwood was just jerking the guys chain... :kidding:

By the way, I'd suggest vacuum bagging before freezing, this will prevent "freezer burn" & keep them from spoiling longer. They'll taste fresher too! ;)

I never would have thought of vacuum bagging.:holysheep
Thanks BB

Actually people,, It was meant as a funny,,, but since the case mouth would not have to be heated much to get it to expand that far (brass not only heats fast, but also expands fast and a lot) it may be possible.
I have installed dozens of bushings and bearings that way.
A lot depends on if the lead will shrink enough.
Of course, a safe way of heating the brass would be necessary.
By the way,, I have picked up many a loaded round that had been sitting in the desert sun for days (two Thursday, one Friday) that was too hot to hold in a bare hand.

TheBigBang
06-18-2012, 01:41 PM
I never would have thought of vacuum bagging.:holysheep
Thanks BB

Actually people,, It was meant as a funny,,, but since the case mouth would not have to be heated much to get it to expand that far (brass not only heats fast, but also expands fast and a lot) it may be possible.
I have installed dozens of bushings and bearings that way.
A lot depends on if the lead will shrink enough.
Of course, a safe way of heating the brass would be necessary.
By the way,, I have picked up many a loaded round that had been sitting in the desert sun for days (two Thursday, one Friday) that was too hot to hold in a bare hand.

I can see the future reloading manuals now, "In the 20th century, a type of die, mounted in a special press, was used to seat the bullet & then "crimp" it in place. Early in the 21st century, the "Longwood method" we use today was developed..." :mrgreen:

303Guy
06-19-2012, 02:50 AM
Yes, Longwood was joking but that doesn't make it a bad idea and I did say the amount of expansion/contraction might be too small to make a difference. Heating would necessarily be with a hair dryer which is going to give minimal expansion but it might be enough. Freezing the boolit might be what tips the idea into do-able. I don't know. I chamfer my case mouths so they can accept a slightly oversize paper patched boolit and the case necks do expand ever so slightly on seating even though the paper gets compressed without compressing the fairly soft lead boolit. It takes a micrometer to measure the expansion. A plain cast lead boolit doesn't have the luxury of compressible paper but then again it doesn't need a lot of interference to make a tight fit so it might just work. It's worth looking into I would say.

TheBigBang
06-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Yes, Longwood was joking but that doesn't make it a bad idea and I did say the amount of expansion/contraction might be too small to make a difference. Heating would necessarily be with a hair dryer which is going to give minimal expansion but it might be enough. Freezing the boolit might be what tips the idea into do-able. I don't know. I chamfer my case mouths so they can accept a slightly oversize paper patched boolit and the case necks do expand ever so slightly on seating even though the paper gets compressed without compressing the fairly soft lead boolit. It takes a micrometer to measure the expansion. A plain cast lead boolit doesn't have the luxury of compressible paper but then again it doesn't need a lot of interference to make a tight fit so it might just work. It's worth looking into I would say.

Well, it may technically be doable, but why? Freezing bullets & then taking them 1 by 1 & putting them into cases you've heated with a hair dryer 1 by 1, would be a tremendous waste of time compared to the die & press system currently in use. I guess it might be something to try just for the hell of it.