PDA

View Full Version : Old me... old equipment....?????

rmcc
06-16-2012, 02:11 AM
I was talking to Pressman the other night about some of our vintage loading machines when it occurred to me that I have been going backwards in time with my reloading! Don't get me wrong, I still have my Dillon 550 for all my pistol calibers and 223. I didn't think I would ever own one, but, found a Hollywood Senior and an old Lyman for $ 40.00, couldn't pay the guy fast enough. After ordering the adaptor for shell holders from C&H, bolting it to the bench, I looked at the "Senior" and started glancing at my other pieces on the bench.
3 powder measures:
1 Herters # 40
2 Belding & Mull

3 scales:
all 3 Herters Ballistic #5

2 presses:
Hollywood "Senior"
Bair Tool Company w/side primer

I have had (2) Rock Chuckers, a JR, a Lyman T Mag, a Lee Challenger, an old RF Wells (like Herters # 3), 3 Uniflows, 1 Lyman #55, (2)Lyman D5 scales, (2) 5-0-5 scales. For shotgun have had (2) Mec 650's and (2) Ponsness Warren 800B loaders.

Now for shotgun I use a Pacific 155 for hunting loads and a DL255 for trap loads.

I enjoy the new components and variety they allow us, but I find I like the old er equipment better than the new!! Maybe I am slowing down? Doesn't seem like it, maybe my priorities have changed.

Anybody else like this?

Sorry for the rant!!!!

Rich

Jack Stanley
06-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Rant ?? ...... naaahhhhh , sounds to me like you just appreciate finely made equipment is all . When you can buy it for less that some imported or domestic scrap that is passed as tooling , why not ? I saw a C-H press once upon a time and to me it looked like it was put together by a skilled toolmaker , not a marketing manager .

Good on ya , I'm glad they float yer boat [smilie=l:

Jack

Pressman
06-16-2012, 07:49 AM
I do not think you are going backwards, the tool makers are going "wrong". I to like the older equipment, it just seems better built. 1967-71 RCBS Rockchucker is my prefered press for general reloading. I like the Herter's #5 scale and the Belding & Mull powder measure. Another measure that I have found to be accurate and easy to use is the Herter's Model 39. Redding dies are a favorite. All priming is done on a Lachmiller bench tool though the RCBS automatic bench primer is a good one especially for large batches of auto pistol cases.

Ken

Bret4207
06-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Yup, quality and a bit of nostalgia in the mix too. I'm the same way. Bought a progressive 3 years back- it's still in the box.

tacofrank
06-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Went to a garage sale with the Mrs. (Dragged) and bought an old Rock Chucker for $20.00. It was frozen up. Soaked it wit Kroil and it works like a dream.

Hardcast416taylor
06-16-2012, 09:32 AM
I can`t say that I am going backwards in my loading equipment. I`m still back there using the same old tried and true "stuff" I got so many years back. Robert

Roundnoser
06-16-2012, 11:46 AM
I like both the old and the new. I have Dillon 1050's on my bench, but also a Star Universal, CH Autochamp and 333, A Herters Super 81, and an old Rock Chucker. Same thing with all the other reloading accessories.

seagiant
06-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Hi,
Well..I guess I'm known for liking the old stuff. I am now engaged in putting together a 1970's Pioneer stereo system. It seems that no matter what our interest goes to, things were made better years ago!

rmcc
06-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Seagiant,

You will love this:

Marantz 1060 amp
Pioneer PL 145 turntable w/ Stanton 681EEE stylus
Pioneer CS 700G speakers

bought new in 1974 when in high school. Paid $840.00 if I remember right. Folks thought I was insane!! Still using the same stereo set up. Works out to about $22.00 a year. Let's see the "new" stuff do that!!

Rich

seagiant
06-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Hi Rich,
Nice!!! Congrats on buying it and keeping it all those years! I also like the vintage radios!

Char-Gar
06-16-2012, 07:20 PM
I am not going backward, I have just stayed where I was.

rmcc
06-16-2012, 07:47 PM
You know, that is about as good a description as I could give of myself, also Char!!! I am listening to the same music, still fishing for the same kind of fish, still hunting the same stuff, though not as hard as I used to. So in essence when people ask me why I am the way I am, it is because I haven't changed!!

Ramar
06-17-2012, 07:02 AM
rmcc,
"So in essence when people ask me why I am the way I am, it is because I haven't changed!!"

Do I have your permission to steal the above quote?
Ramar

Bret4207
06-17-2012, 08:10 AM
You guys ever notice that LP's seem to sound better than CD's? I don't know why. AM radio sounds better to me too. Actually better isn't the right word, I think right or correct is closer to what I mean.

SG, I understand they've stopped making reel to reel tape anymore. There was quite a hue and cry from some devotees about it a couple years back.

ElDorado
06-17-2012, 03:07 PM
I also like the vintage radios!

My aunt and uncle used to have an old radio that stood about three or four feet tall with a beautiful walnut case. The best part was the ethereal green glow from the dial when it was turned on.

It was absolutely hypnotizing.

Jeff

seagiant
06-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Hi Bret,
No,it's still being made. The good news is there is still tapes from the 60and 70's around. Factory or commercial made tapes from the 70's have higher and lower sound that can't be recorded on records! This was one of the things that dazzled people with CD's as of course they can carry it! However I'm with you as the analog recordings are "warmer" and have a better presence!

For any one interested in older vintage stereo the good news is the Thrift/Goodwill stores have items now and then on the cheap as people switch to Home Surround Systems! Of course these are 30+ year old and need attention some times!

felix
06-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Try playing master recordings made with high density low carbon highly magnetic iron pasted on 35mm film. Better yet, for about 15 percent more dynamic range, try playing back the master recording as produced from a Scully lathe. Use analog input, of course, as well as output. ... felix

seagiant
06-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Hi,
Well...You got me there! The best I ever did in the 70's was half speed masters! Note the last paragraph on this article!

http://home.netcom.com/~zmoq/pages/halfsped.htm

felix
06-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Ah! Abbey Road! My brother Jimmy has that record still in its wrapper! Never opened! He plays only his typical commercial record. Seagiant, there is nothing more competitive than the recording business, be it of the straight audio type or video for that matter. I dare say, it is even more so than the BR game because the latter is too seasonal in comparison. ... felix

seagiant
06-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Hi,
Well,I would apologize to the OP for hijacking but I think we crossed that line about 6 post back! Probably orbiting Jupiter by now,so here is a link for anyone that needs blank tape for their reel to reel!

http://usrecordingmedia.com/opreelrectap.html

Bret4207
06-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Huh, I was lied to!

seagiant
06-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi Bret,
Don't feel pregnant! I knew a third engineer I worked with that said,"You can not braze steel!" I was like,"what?" He had been told this by an "expert'" when he was young and had always believed it!

I told him when I was on the farm growing up in Georgia,that all the tractor steel radiators had green spots all over them. This was from the farmer plugging pin holes! They would clean the area with sandpaper and one side of a penny then crumble some flux from a welding rod between them and hit it with a oxy torch! So even an 8 year old kid knew you could braze steel. I won't repeat what the guy said but the air turned blue!!!:mrgreen: