PDA

View Full Version : Glock Trigger Connector Problem

thehouseproduct
06-15-2012, 06:14 PM
I recently tried to install a 3.5 lb trigger connector in my Glock 19. To my knowledge, everything is installed correctly. When I compare it to a new Glock, it doesn't move the same. Here is a video where you can see the connector snap out of the way with trigger pull. How do I correct this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52o1_XHeazI

historicfirearms
06-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Make sure you installed the trigger spring in the correct direction. It should look like the letter "S" when viewed from the right side of the pistol.

Sturmcrow
06-18-2012, 08:46 PM
I could be wrong, but I suspect that you may have stoned the rear of the trigger bar too much, so that it is not a square surface anymore, and is able to slip off of the connector. I suppose it could have also come from the factory that way. It could also be that the connector bit itself is not square. On my gun, both of those interface surfaces are square to the pistol axis.

If that is not the case, you could try bending the connector out a bit and see if that helps.

Looking on my Glock right now, no matter how hard I pull the trigger, it does not slip off the connector that way. That said, it also does not go into full cock the way it does when the slide is on, so it could be that this is a non-issue for you. Have you tried firing it?

Wayne Dobbs
06-18-2012, 10:01 PM
If that is a Glock connector, it's worn or defective. I suspect you bought a Scherer or other non-standard part. If you did, you have now learned your lesson. At any rate, remove that connector and replace it with a Glock part. Launch the connector you removed into the nearest trash can.

W.R.Buchanan
06-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Several things could be wrong here. Is the part a Glock part? if not,,, get rid of it.

All of the stock Glock fire control parts are cheap and they work right from the get go.

Another quick point is if you are just learning the gun you would benefit from leaving the 5 lb connector in, as it will help you learn the trigger on the Glock system. The lighter trigger pull has very little difference between the take up portion and the let off of the trigger which will encourage mashing the trigger and shots going lower left. Been there done that! It is critical that you learn the trigger take up and letoff as two completely separate events. With the lighter connector in the gun the trigger tends to not stop at the end of take up and travels right thru to letoff. You generally miss when this happens.

Do you have the connector seated all the way into the trigger block? Take the block back out and look at it. Reinstall the 5lb connector and note how far to the right or more properly how far away from the trigger block the connector is when properly installed. The end of the connector should stick out from the side of the trigger block about 1/16", while the lower portion is all the way flush with the trigger block.

What your video shows is the connector "disconnecting" which is what it is supposed to do to prevent full auto fire. However it is supposed to be pushed sideways by the cam on bottom of the slide pushing on the little tit over the top of the trigger bar cam surface. Not by itself.

When the slide travels backwards in recoil the slide trips the connector sideways which allows the trigger bar cam to rise up along side the connector holding the trigger in the disconnected position. At this point the sear is incontact with the striker as the slide closes. When you release pressure on the trigger it travels forward the trigger bar snaps back under the connector, which is the click you hear when you reset the trigger. The trigger is now reset and ready for the next shot. There is no need to release the trigger all the way to fire the next shot, as soon as you feel the reset click, pulling the trigger to the rear will fire the gun.. You will be taught to trap the trigger after the gun fires and reset the trigger by only moving it forward as far as necessary to reengage the connector. This eliminates the takeup portion of the trigger travel, and speeds up your follow up shot.

Your connector does not have sufficient pressure to the right side of the gun to do this. Either the connector is not fully seated into the rear trigger block, (most likely) or the end is not bent right (probably not! if it is a Glock part, can't vouch for others).

One last point: trying to improve the Glock trigger by buffing, sanding, polishing or any combination of the above will result in NO gain whatsoever. The stock parts assembled with a small amount of grease on the sliding surfaces is about as good as it gets. All of the trigger parts are plated with Electroless Nickle and heat treated. However the coating is only .0005 thick. So virtually any polishing of these surfaces results in the plating being removed which exposes soft steel on the wearing surfaces. IE they don't last very long. Been there done that several times.

When I said a small amount of grease I meant apply it sparingly with a very small paint brush, I use Lubriplate, but any light grease will do. A small amount on the rails of the slide and especially the disconnector cam as well as the wedge on the bottom of the barrel. Grease on the rounded portion of the trigger bar that interfaces with the connector as well as the outside of the trigger bar that rubs on the mag well, is about all there is to do. Note: Very small paint brush, about 1/16" in diameter is all you need.

Also it takes 1000-1500 rounds to break a Glock in well. Just shoot it.

Best things to replace on a Glock pistol (and I have all of mine setup exactly the same way) are the sights, (Dawson Precision) an extended mag release,(JP ent.) and the Glock extended slide release.(Glock 35) all available from Brownells. Changing out any of the other internal parts doesn't change anything of value and is just a way to spend money.

Better to leave the gun near stock and spend the money on a Pistol class at Front Sight Gunsite or any of the other big training facilities.

There is very little you can do to a Glock to make it any significant amount better, they are pretty good stock right out of the box.

Randy

thehouseproduct
06-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Figured I close this one out. I polished too much on the trigger bar. a new trigger bar and the gun feels great. The 3.5lb trigger connector and comp spring kit feel amazing. Can't wait to hit the range next week.