PDA

View Full Version : Refilling lube reservoir

RoGrrr
06-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Something I've thought about, rather than molding my lube, how about melting it when I need to refill the reservoir and simply pouring it in ?
I realize I would have to let it sit and cool down but wouldn't this simplify handling of the lube ?
The refill would be done at the end of session so it could cool while I'm away from the bench.

dragonrider
06-15-2012, 11:55 AM
It works for me.

No_1
06-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Same thing works for me unless I am have an extended sizing session then I have to add and wait. I do need to figure out a quicker way to melt the lube for this task. Currently I start my croc pot before I start sizing and add lube once enough has melted so can dip some out. This process can lead to some time elapsing between when I finish sizing and when I can actually refill which resulted (being forgetful) with the croc pot staying on for days. I have fixed that problem by plugging the croc pot to a timer that turns it off when I forgot to. If I can come up with a way to melt it faster then maybe it can be ready when I am.

thehouseproduct
06-15-2012, 12:22 PM
I do it. Almost always I spill. :-)

trixter
06-15-2012, 12:27 PM
So wouldn't a double boiler work?

gandydancer
06-15-2012, 12:33 PM
I seen on here someone using an old coffee percolator a yard sale buy for $2.00 to melt & pour their lube. the pot has a spout for easy pour. melts the lube real fast. unplug it until the next time and it holds a lot of lube also. I believe it was a gentleman by the name of Ben on here. works for me. GD

RoGrrr
06-15-2012, 12:49 PM
I seen on here someone using an old coffee percolator a yard sale buy for $2.00 to melt & pour their lube. the pot has a spout for easy pour. melts the lube real fast. unplug it until the next time and it holds a lot of lube also. I believe it was a gentleman by the name of Ben on here. works for me. GD

With the season of GARAGE SALEing coming upon us, I'll keep an eye out for a coffee pot. Thanks for a great suggestion, which I had given absolutely no thought to since I never drank coffee. But I know exactly what you're talking about.

Mal Paso
06-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Microwave Oven and a Pyrex Cup. If you don't heat the lube too much over melt point and you can use the sizer right away. The metal of the sizer will cool the lube off.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-15-2012, 09:40 PM
This was from another thread where I responded to
where a member who was asking how do deal with bulk
lube bought from a vendor here.

How I deal with bulk lube for lubesizers:

I cut the lube into chunks to fit into a mason Jar, pint or quart is fine.
BUT, do not put more than what will fill the jar to the half full mark.
A half full jar is easy to pour into a sizer without a funnel and
without spilling, but a full jar is nearly impossible NOT to spill,
WHAT A MESS !!! Plus it's easier to heat/melt a half full jar.

OK, I gently heat the jar in a pot of hot water til it's all melted.
and pour into the sizer, I put the pressure nut on while it's still hot/warm.
What can happen if you don't...if your pressure screw has some slop, it
can lean to one side, or maybe you push it to one side to pour in the lube.
if that happens and the lube hardened, it's nearly impossible to get the
pressure nut on a leaning pressure screw without heating up the reservoir.
once you've done it a time or two, you'll wonder why you even messed with the sticks.
hope that helps,

beagle
06-15-2012, 10:03 PM
I just take a GI P-38 can opener and cut the top out of a clean pop can. Bend a pour spout, bend a lip on the back edge of the can for vise grips. Shave some lube in the can and lightly sit on top of the melt in my pot and slowly melt it by removing and shaking occasionally. Pour it in and repeat until you have enough in the sizer. Has always worked for me and when I have the pot fired up, I do all the sizers. Pour unused lube on a piece of cardboard and save./beagle

Ben
06-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Here is how I fill mine. Cost of the container is $ 000.00
If you've got an old soup can around the house, you are good to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ5n68SrrUo&feature=youtu.be

Walter Laich
06-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Ben--good video

I heat mine in an old 1 cup measuring cup on the hot plat I use to rewarm my molds before casting.

Since the cup is round, not like Ben's pouring spout, I use a plastic funnel. After filling I use a piece of brass tubing (hobby shop) to push out any lube that cooled in the funnel's bottom opening.

Heating lube this way also allows me to do a bit of blending of molds. I do this to lower the melting point somewhat without having lube that is too soft on the bullets. (my wife thinks I'm playing)

walt

Mohavedog
06-16-2012, 04:12 PM
A couple of years ago I ventured into my first experience using a proprietary lube from a vendor here that was in cake form. I had never used anything other than a commercial stick lube with the hole in the center in my 450. What worked the first time and I still use the process is as follows:
I take the lid off a tin can (size really doesn't matter if not too big to handle). For me it helps to use the type of can-opener that cuts the outside seam of the can (safety opener) because that doesn't leave a lip to hinder pouring. Like Beagle, I form a pouring spout in the rim and it's just so easy. I melt the lube on the hotplate that I heat the moulds on, then using a glove to hold the can I just pour into the 450. As someone else mentioned leave room for the piston and cap and don't overfill. Dog

RoGrrr
06-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Ben

I really like your method.
It seems that I'm getting enough equipment that I will be able to pretty much automate all my casting and reloading to the point that I'll be able to keep my hands fairly clean. I bought a Dillon, found a (parts) Magma Bullet master (gotta rebuild it) on ebay and then ran across a Star lubesizer and a separate feeder, on ebay too.

As Hannibal said, something about a plan coming together....

snuffy
06-18-2012, 10:02 AM
I've been melting lube on my hot plate in a small cooking pot I bought for deer hunting. I found this to be the answer for air being trapped along with the lube in the reservoir.

Dropping a stick in solid allows air to get compressed as you feed the lube into the die. That means it is hardly precise as to the amount you're getting for each boolit. AND after you're done sizing, it continues to feed lube around the die and center shaft. Backing the pressure nut off will NOT relieve that trapped/compressed air.

RoGrrr
06-18-2012, 11:00 AM
I've been melting lube on my hot plate in a small cooking pot I bought for deer hunting. I found this to be the answer for air being trapped along with the lube in the reservoir.

Dropping a stick in solid allows air to get compressed as you feed the lube into the die. That means it is hardly precise as to the amount you're getting for each boolit. AND after you're done sizing, it continues to feed lube around the die and center shaft. Backing the pressure nut off will NOT relieve that trapped/compressed air.

Snuffy
Thanks and I agree with your explanation. The decision I've made is to either use a coffee percolator or melt it like Ben does. I do have a small hot plate but I think I'd prefer the percolator if I can find one at a garage sale or thrift store. Then I shouldn't have any problems with air and the perc should be convenient and clean.

Rockchucker
06-18-2012, 02:45 PM
I found this stainless steel coffee pot at a flea market a while back for 5 dollars and it works perfectly for my needs. I did find one like it at Kmart made out of aluminum for 12 bucks and passed on that one. I throw in a couple sticks of C-R and place it on the single burner hot plate on low heat and pour it straight into the lube sizer just like the video above shows.
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i403/ronthompson5231/IMG_0447.jpg
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i403/ronthompson5231/IMG_0448.jpg

geargnasher
06-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Something I've thought about, rather than molding my lube, how about melting it when I need to refill the reservoir and simply pouring it in ?
I realize I would have to let it sit and cool down but wouldn't this simplify handling of the lube ?
The refill would be done at the end of session so it could cool while I'm away from the bench.

[smilie=l: Ain't it funny when you have an orginal idea, only to discover dozens of other people have already been doing that for years?

A tip, most lubes shrink a lot as they cool and leave a big void in the lube, so stand by with the molten lube and give it another "dose" or two as it's cooling to fill the big shrink pockets, or let it get semi-solid and poke it down in the reservoir with a blunt dowel rod to eliminate the pockets.

Gear

Wayne Smith
06-18-2012, 04:58 PM
I picked up a glass pitcher at a thrift store and melt in my microwave slowly and then pour it in. Carry it upstairs from the kitchen to the loading room, it's still hot and molten, and stays long enough to get the second pour.

RoGrrr
06-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Gear
it IS funny and this is why there have been so many amazing inventions by ordinary people, unlike what president OhVomit alludes to.
Wayne
I didn't realize that lube was meltable in a microwave; just hadn't thought of that manner of heating. I just happen to have several spares. Seems when I see one on the curb for the trashmen, I can't pass it by (same with bedframes. I have built many jigs and other stuff out of that kind of flotsam. It just doesn't drill well so I drill it in my milling machine with a carbide endmill that will cut thru ANYTHING). I pick them up and re-utilize the parts in it. My main Mic died and I found it was the power supply capacitor that was bad. Costs about $25 at a parts store, plus the trip to get it. I simply harvested one out of one of a "curb model" and got it going again. I'll move one of my spares to the shop and use it for lubing. Thanks

Catshooter
06-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Just remember that that liquid lube is hot. Hot enough that if you slip and spill it on your right wrist which is bent at the time, thus exposing a gap between the glove and your shirt sleeve that it will hurt as it adheres to your skin.

Then, after it's cooled (which happens really quickly), then it really hurts when the only way to get it off is to scrape it off of the now nicely burned skin.

Not that I'd know . . .

Cat

captaint
06-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Pyrex cup and microwave for me. AND do heat up the sizer first. the wife told me "I don't want that cup back" !! Wow, OK...enjoy Mike

Ben
06-19-2012, 11:19 AM
"I don't want that cup back" !!

Wonder why she would make a comment like that ?

montana_charlie
06-19-2012, 11:46 AM
I use a tin can, like many, and I heat it on a coffee cup warmer that has a permanent place on my reloading bench.
It is also perfect for drying paper patched bullets that were wrapped wet.

On occasion, I also use it to keep a cup of coffee warm ...

CM