PDA

View Full Version : Holster for 1911

Judan_454
06-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Is there a holster out there that would be easier on the blueing on Remington 1911 R1. I do go out to the range pratice my draw so the gun can be drawen and reinserted as many 100 times.
Thanks Dan

06-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Seems that all holsters apply some friction or pressure to the gun and hence will abrade at contact points. If you have a concern about same a pistol case with sheepskin interior might be the best you could do. Don't store it in such as it will leach oil off the gun over time and promote rust. Only thing I can suggest is keep it oiled and wiped down with RIG, etc.

NickSS
06-16-2012, 06:12 AM
I have tired a lot of holsters over the years and they all wear the finish off sooner of later. About the only guns that do not seam to wear are stainless steel ones but they get shinny where they rub in a holster. I myself do not worry about honest wear on a gun as to me that ads character. If you want one for show buy a secind ine and put it in a case and never handle it.

bruce drake
06-16-2012, 08:19 AM
I have tired a lot of holsters over the years and they all wear the finish off sooner of later. About the only guns that do not seam to wear are stainless steel ones but they get shinny where they rub in a holster. I myself do not worry about honest wear on a gun as to me that ads character. If you want one for show buy a secind ine and put it in a case and never handle it.

+1 The pistol is to be shot not just put on display. If it eventually gets too shiny you can always reblue it.

bigboredad
06-16-2012, 09:17 AM
the first scratch or wear mark is the worse. then as the others say you'll be able to appreciate the character each additional one adds. there will never be another one that looks like yours cause they all have there own character

kywoodwrkr
06-16-2012, 11:50 AM
the first scratch or wear mark is the worse. then as the others say you'll be able to appreciate the character each additional one adds.
Worked with a fellow, who when he bought a new truck, would back it up to his feed building, go inside and pick up one large concrete block, come out and hurl in into the bed with as much force as prudent. Then stated, 'well first scratch is in 'er now' . Never worried about anymore scratches.:bigsmyl2:
Have a situation where all your guns get watered down in a fire or something akin to that and you'll get a whole new appreciation of inanimate objects.

bigboredad
06-16-2012, 12:40 PM
that's pretty funny. and I understand about the inanimate for me it was being diagnosed with a incurable disease that will cripple me make me lose on cognitive thinking and make it so I can't breathe on my own. But the good thing is they say it won't kill me[smilie=p:

David2011
06-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Judan,

Watch for the older Safariland holsters. They have an inside thumb break strap with a large snap and llow the gun to be carried cocked and locked with the thumbreak strap between the hammer and slide. An option on them was elk suede lining. Even those holsters will eventually wear on the bluing but they are about as gentle as you'll find in a quality holster. I watch the boxes of holsters at gun shows and shops for old Safariland leather. It's usually not very pricey.

David

bigboredad
06-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Judan,

Watch for the older Safariland holsters. They have an inside thumb break strap with a large snap and llow the gun to be carried cocked and locked with the thumbreak strap between the hammer and slide. An option on them was elk suede lining. Even those holsters will eventually wear on the bluing but they are about as gentle as you'll find in a quality holster. I watch the boxes of holsters at gun shows and shops for old Safariland leather. It's usually not very pricey.

David

great idea

thegreatdane
06-17-2012, 12:15 AM
no offense, but the finish on the Rem R1 is pretty weak. I have one and it's severely worn as compared to my other 1911s. I found the kydex/serpas are especially hard on 'em.

BeeMan
06-17-2012, 08:59 AM
These coatings work. I coated my most used handgun with the gun shield product over a year ago. No sign of finish wear yet, but I haven't tested it in the fast draw practice you are planning.

http://store.burningbushtech.com/

BeeMan

jh45gun
06-17-2012, 09:19 AM
These coatings work. I coated my most used handgun with the gun shield product over a year ago. No sign of finish wear yet, but I haven't tested it in the fast draw practice you are planning.

http://store.burningbushtech.com/

BeeMan

Not too impressed with a company that does not even give a good description of their product let alone no description. It may work fine but I like info before I buy. yea I could call them but that cost me money if they want to sell the product they should describe it and how it works.

buyobuyo
06-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Not too impressed with a company that does not even give a good description of their product let alone no description. It may work fine but I like info before I buy. yea I could call them but that cost me money if they want to sell the product they should describe it and how it works.

BeeMan's link is just a retailer. 30 seconds on Google on your part would have found you the information that you want.

http://www.dynamicfinishes.com/companies/dynatek-coatings/

jh45gun
06-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks