PDA

View Full Version : Hole in Star Sizer Base

RoGrrr
06-15-2012, 09:47 AM
I recently bought a used Star sizer and when I first used it, I got a squirt of lube out of the small tapped hole on the bottom left side of the base.
When I say squirt, I mean it pushed out a stream of lube about an inch long. I tried another and got the same thing. I removed the sizing die and cleaned out the hole to find it is tapped. Looked like 1/4-20 but I couldn't get a bolt started in it bcuz the threads were somewhat damaged. I cleaned some more to try determine the actual thread size but none of the taps I have would comfortably fit in it and I didn't want to ruin the hole/base. Finally I decided to simply run my 1/4-20 tap into it and fortunately, it was the right size. I then put a bolt into the hole and tried another boolit. It seems to be working properly now.
I don't think it is simply to hold the die in place, since it's in a dead-end alley, so to speak. And I didn't run my bolt in far enough to contact the die, just used it to plug the hole.

I'm wondering what the hole is for. Any ideas ?

rockrat
06-15-2012, 10:11 AM
I think it is a bleed hole, to remove trapped air that sometimes gets in the Star if you add a lube stick with a hole in the center. Or possibly when you change lubes, to bleed the air out of the system. Mine has a set screw in it, about 1/4 inch long.

RoGrrr
06-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Rockrat
That sounds quite logical to me but how do you know when the air bubble gets to the die ?
When I found a boolit that is lacking full lube, I simply cranked more on the piston (Lyman 450) to drive more lube. And with the 450, I bumped the wrench with each boolit I ran, not that I was able to feel any bubble.
And since the boolits go out the bottom, how do you know about that bubble ?

Plus, when I install the autofeeder, I'll be less inclined to find the bubble.

Then, one more chink - Air drive to the lube reservoir will further "remove" me from the equation.

Just sayin

Dennis Eugene
06-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Funny, I always just figgered that set screw was to hold the die in place. I always loosen it when changeing dies and tighten it back down again when sizeing. I do have a manual and will look and see if it says any thing, but doubt that it will as the manual is woefully lacking in any real info.
Dennis

Rockchucker
06-15-2012, 11:37 AM
It must not be needed, the newer Star's don't even have that screw.

Texasflyboy
06-16-2012, 10:34 PM
#1 is the threaded brass cleanout hole.

#2 is the die retaining screw (1/4 - 20).

Yes, if condition are right, the pressurized lube will push out the die if the screw isn't in place. I put teflon tape on mine to keep it sealed.

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/a/star.jpg