PDA

View Full Version : Korean M2 ball

rmcc
06-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Hi all,

Just ordered a can of the Korean surplus to shoot in M1 and BAR. Will report back when I get it.

RRich

Ed in North Texas
06-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Last time it was available, I got to shoot some and it did well. As good as M2 Ball in the Garand. I expect the Korean QC would be up to maintaining proper velocity, etc. from lot to lot. No one can say what storage conditions any particular batch has seen, but I'd also expect the RoK Army had good storage for their ammo.

Ed

Frank46
06-14-2012, 10:34 PM
KA headstamp '06 is corrosive, PS is not. You may get either one or a mix. From what I have read it comes two ways, loose in the can or belted for MG. Frank

Uncle Grinch
06-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Do a search on our site for "Korean 30-06" for a posting I did some time ago.

30CAL-TEXAN
06-15-2012, 11:25 PM
All of the Korean stuff I have shot was just fine - even the PS 75.

I have done side by side chrono tests of it with HXP and LC. The LC was the most consistant with the greek next in line. The korean stuff was a little hotter all together with some of the velocities at 2950+ and it did have a larger spread than the other two.

I have noticed that the PS brass is a little more prone to neck splits than any of the US headstamps that I have reloaded. but I have not had any head separations. I have not yet done much reloading in the HXP cases so I can't really compare to those yet.

TommyT
06-16-2012, 09:57 AM
You guys should check this out before shooting any of that Korean ammo....

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=120504

Ed in North Texas
06-16-2012, 04:11 PM
You guys should check this out before shooting any of that Korean ammo....

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=120504

Some of that info could be really good (particularly the listed lot numbers which have multiple reports of specific problems). But folks being told that KA and PS headstamps are the same ammo is a problem, and not of the ammo. As with anything else you find on the net, read carefully and make up your own mind after researching the issue.

There is always CMP as a source, or reloading. Commercial cases are still readily available, though USGI cases are getting hard to find (and are probably prime candidates for annealing the neck and shoulder before reloading to make sure you don't have age related neck splits).

Ed

Ed in North Texas
06-16-2012, 04:16 PM
I have noticed that the PS brass is a little more prone to neck splits than any of the US headstamps that I have reloaded. but I have not had any head separations. I have not yet done much reloading in the HXP cases so I can't really compare to those yet.

I've been reloading the Greek .303 for a pretty good while and it is fine brass (and good ammo).

JIMinPHX
06-18-2012, 08:32 AM
A buddy of mine has been reloading the Greek brass happily for a few years now. His Garand seems to like it just fine. The original Greek ammo seemed to heat up his barrel a little more than most other ammo did. I guess that the Greeks must use a different powder or something.

Alchemist
06-22-2012, 10:24 PM
KA headstamp '06 is corrosive, PS is not. You may get either one or a mix. From what I have read it comes two ways, loose in the can or belted for MG. Frank

I bought 2 cans a few years ago that was in en-bloc clips and bandoleers.

Frank46
06-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Have seen a few reports or posts on other forums. May be a mix of KA, PS, or Lake City. From different vendors I have seen this latest batch may be either linked or loose in a 30 cal ammo can. Frank

rmcc
06-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Frank46 is correct. What I got was PS 83 & KA 71 and (4) SL 54, go figure! KA is pulled down off belts, the PS is shiny.

Rich

Freightman
06-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Ordered a lot years ago, and the brass is very good for military type rifles but wouldn't work in my sons Savage. So I got it all and after de-crimping the primer pocket it is good for my 03A3.

fwm
06-28-2012, 10:42 AM
I bought some KA 74 loaded on enblocs a number of years back at a gunshow thinking I was getting a great deal. Later I found out it was corrosive primed. Out of curiousity I pulled some of the bullets. I'll look to see if I still have my notes but I found some loaded with ball powder and some with extruded powder. The charge weights on the ball powder were reasonably uniform but the extruded powder had large variance in weight. From memory I think it was 5 grains difference from lowest to highest. I never did fire any of it though I still have some so maybe I will shoot a couple of groups to see how it does. When I look back on it I probably still did OK on the price just using the bullets, powder and enbloc clips. I should also note that I'm in Canada and have never seen any other surplus 30-06 for sale other than privately in as long as I've been shooting.

ebner glocken
06-28-2012, 03:52 PM
I had some given to me by a person that only had a M1. It was HOT to say the least, fired it all in my 1917. Not sure if I would recommend blasting it in a gas gun.

Ebner