PDA

View Full Version : my marvelous meatloaf

5shotbfr
06-14-2012, 01:11 PM
***warning*** this is not exactly healthy

what you need

1.5lbs of ground beef / venison

8 or so bacon slices

1lb ground bacon .. my local butcher happily runs a few lbs threw his grinder for me when ever i ask ... i also use it for 50-50 bacon/beef burgers to

1/2 tube of crushed ritz crackers

1 egg

1 chopped onion and green pepper

ketchup

and some salt/pepper/sage to season to your taste

mix everything except the bacon slices together
then cover it with the sliced bacon .. drizzle with ketchup
bake until done and enjoy

try real hard to save some for meatloaf sandwiches the next day

richhodg66
06-14-2012, 01:29 PM
That sounds mighty good, but I may have to reduce the amount of bacon in it somewhat.

I love meat loaf, it's one of those things that some is better than others, but I don't recall ever eating a bad one. Mine turn out a little different everytime due the the desire to experiment and/or lack of definite amounts and ingredients.

mold maker
06-14-2012, 02:06 PM
That sounds mighty good, but I may have to reduce the amount of bacon in it somewhat.

I love meat loaf, it's one of those things that some is better than others, but I don't recall ever eating a bad one. Mine turn out a little different everytime due the the desire to experiment and/or lack of definite amounts and ingredients.

My wife never makes the same thing twice. With her it's always a pinch or a dab.
It must all be good though, cause I have to struggle, to stay under 22lbs. [smilie=b:

gwpercle
06-14-2012, 07:10 PM
I am a meatloaf lover . This is my favorite meatloaf recipe of all time
the absoulute best.....I'm getting hungry and starting to drool on the keyboard just typing this. And its better the next day, it makes a sandwhich I would take a beating to get if I had to. This recipe calls for it to be cooked in a micro-wave, which we do but there is no reason it can't be cooked in a regular oven.
1 - 8 oz. can tomato sauce ( 1 cup ketchup can be substituted )
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoon prepared dry mustard ( regular prepared mustard may be
substituted )
2 eggs , lightly beaten
1 medium onion , minced
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup Ritz cracker crumbs ( bread crumbs may be substituted )
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In a small bowl combine tomato sauce, brown suger and dry mustard-set aside. In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, onion, cracker crumbs, ground beef, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add 1/2 of the tomato sauce mixture and stir throughly. Place meat mixture in a glass ring mould or 2 quart microwave proof round casserole. Pour the remaining tomato sauce over the top of the meat. Cook uncovered on high 12 to 14 minutes. Let stand, covered 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

I done got a craving for a meatloaf sandwich flung on me now.......gary

Jim
06-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Janet makes meat loaf for me in a bread loaf pan just so the slices will fit in a sandwich!

frankenfab
06-14-2012, 07:24 PM
:awesome:Meatloaf is one of my favorites, too. I always liked having the leftovers on a hamburger bun with some mayo. Then I had the idea the last time to brown the sides of the leftover slices in a skillet as well. MMMMMMmmmmmeatloaf!:awesome:

smokeywolf
06-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Think I'm going to have to try gwpercle's recipe.
Yeah, I'm a Mr. Mom.

smokeywolf

mustanggt
06-15-2012, 12:42 AM
3# ground sirloin
onion powder
garlic powder
salt
crack black pepper
2 eggs
italian bread crumbs
pancheta
prosciutto or other italian cured meats
swiss or provalone or mozzarella, 6 cheese grated bag of cheese
basil
tomato paste thinned to be thicker than sauce.
Make meat loaf in normal manner
take half of the meatloaf mixture and put on a foiled pan and mould into a dished out loaf. Take panchetta, prosciutto and cheeses of choice and layer it till it comes above the first meatloaf half. Next take the rest of the meat and finish moulding the loaf.
I roll the loaf from the foil onto my Treager grill, put on smoke for an hour then crank it up to about 250 and pull it off the grill when it is at 150* It will be done but still be moist. Use a thermometer to monitor the internal temp. This is a receipe that my mom made alot when we were kids only becuase we were a pretty big family and we had to watch every penny she used cheaper ingrediants. Since I always take something my mom makes and spice it up and give it different twists she likes it better.

Longwood
06-15-2012, 12:51 AM

I love meat loaf, it's one of those things that some is better than others, but I don't recall ever eating a bad one.

Then you must not have had it at a military Messhall.
I had some at a local restaurant a few weeks back that sucked.
It was a lot like the Sawdust patty meatloaf TV diner I tried years ago.

gandydancer
06-15-2012, 01:20 AM
wow man. they all sound good to me. I will have to give them a try. thanks. GD

Mk42gunner
06-15-2012, 02:35 AM
My Grandma's meatloaf, mashed potatoes and home canned green beans with homemade rolls on the side was a meal fit for a king.

I'm more of a LAR (Looks About Right) cook, than a strict follower of recipes, so my meatloaf usualy comes out different each time.

Here is my basic meatloaf:

1.5 to 2 lbs lean ground meat
1 medium onion chopped fine
an egg or two to bind everything together
some sort of tomato sauce-- ketchup, tomato paste, Heinz 57 sauce etc.
1 cup of shredded cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Rolled oats for a filler

I usually use whatever spices are in the cabinet, don't want them getting old and tasteless.

The idea of the oats came about one day when I started making a meatloaf and realized I didn't have any stale bread or crackers to crumble. It works surprisingly well.

Robert

Moonie
06-15-2012, 10:53 AM
You guys should try smoked meatloaf, if you like smoked meats you will love meatloaf smoked.

Prepare it on a flat baking sheet or roasting pan so it won't sit in the fat and the smoke can get to most of it.

Simply amazing.

gwpercle
06-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Smoked meatloaf.....now that sounds good.

Moonie... do you make it about an inch or 1 1/2 inches thick ?

There is a local BBQ place here where I always got pulled pork sandwhich, One day I noticed they had " Smokehouse Burger " meat , onions , bellpepper and mushrooms all cooked in the smoker.... That was the best , and I mean BEST burger I ever ate. So smoke house meatloaf is probably just as tasty maybe even better . I'm gonna try it. Great idea .

Thanks
gary

Moonie
06-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Thicker than that, regular meatloaf shaped. Just be sure you cook it until done, by thermometer. 160F or so.

gwpercle
06-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Got it Moonie, Thanks ...now I'm gonna fire up the smoker and enjoy
gary

Moonie
06-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Got it Moonie, Thanks ...now I'm gonna fire up the smoker and enjoy
gary

How did it turn out?

frankenfab
06-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Lately I have been keeping it really simple:

2 lbs meat
1 package dried vegetable soup mix
About 3/4 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs
2 Tbs Dale's or Best Choice liquid steak seasoning
some milk

I love the broiled ketchup top!

blikseme300
06-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Sounds good. I will give this a try this weekend. Question: What size plate was used to grind the bacon?

Bliksem
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gwpercle
06-26-2012, 12:56 PM
How did it turn out?

It turned out great, wonderful flavor. I smoked the meatloaf and a chicken on the rack below. Next Time will do two meatloaves.... the first one got all ate up and there were no leftovers. Chicken is good but meatloaf was better.

So if anybody is going to do smoke house meatloaf, make two and then you might have some leftovers for sandwiches.

Thanks for the idea , I never would have thought about the smoker.
What else do you cook in your smoker ?
gary

Moonie
06-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Prime Rib is pretty amazing, as are fatties (jimmy dean or similar plastic wrapped sausage, just remove plastic and cook the whole role till done). I also smoke my own cured bacon in mine.

Brisket, Pork shoulder and ribs of all sorts of course, and turkey and chicken.

Turkey breast is great smoked, brine it first and it will be requested often.

The Dove
06-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Prime Rib is pretty amazing

Moonie, elaborate a little on this please. What temp, how long, per pound, etc...???

The Dove

Moonie
06-27-2012, 09:42 AM
I like mine rare, I smoke it at 225-250F until about 120F then finish in a 400F convection oven to 130-135F so it'll have a crust on the outside, let rest for about 15 min, remove bones and slice thick.

Couldn't tell you how long as I don't remember, this isn't something I cook regularly as a quality prime rib is a costly treat.

The Dove
06-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Thank You sir.

The Dove

Jailer
06-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Don't care much for ketsup on top of my meatloaf. If you want a really good topping try this:

1/3 cup ketsup
1 tablespoon each of honey, mustard and brown sugar

Mix and spread over the top before you cook. Makes a fantastic sweet glaze.

I'm going to do a 3lb meatloaf with a pound of bacon mixed in on the grill tomorrow. A smoker would be better but I don't have one so the grill will have to suffice.

Moonie
07-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Don't care much for ketsup on top of my meatloaf. If you want a really good topping try this:

1/3 cup ketsup
1 tablespoon each of honey, mustard and brown sugar

Mix and spread over the top before you cook. Makes a fantastic sweet glaze.

I'm going to do a 3lb meatloaf with a pound of bacon mixed in on the grill tomorrow. A smoker would be better but I don't have one so the grill will have to suffice.

Put the coals on one side (or only light half of a gas grill) and keep the temp low, put soaked wood on the coals. You do not need a dedicated smoker to smoke meat, keep in mind, what you need is indirect heat, 225-250F. A water pan will help regulate the temp and keep the meat moist.

Jailer
07-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Did exactly that. No coals but lit the opposite side of the grill and ran it with a pan of water over the lit side and cooked it for 4 hours. I put liquid smoke in the water and it really adds a nice flavor to whatever you're cooking.

It was fabulous by the way, best meatloaf ever. :mrgreen:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/Meatloafonthegrillstart.jpg

Moonie
07-02-2012, 11:51 PM
You can take a foil packet with water soaked wood chips and put it under the grate, right on the burners, poke holes in the packet and you will get great smoke flavor.

Reg
07-03-2012, 01:15 AM
I have got to quit following this section. Something new pops up and I put on a couple of pounds !!!

:killingpc

Moonie
07-03-2012, 01:02 PM
I have got to quit following this section. Something new pops up and I put on a couple of pounds !!!

:killingpc

My wife is really unhappy with that bit, she has put on 50lbs since we met...

gwpercle
07-05-2012, 10:51 AM
And that is exactly what I love about this site. Nobody worries about calories , fat content , colesterol etc.... only maximum flavor and taste good recipes.
I'm now hooked on Moonies Smokehouse Meatloaf. that stuff is so good it should be illegal. In Califorina it may be... if not don't let them get wind of it, they will outlaw it. Make a sandwhich with smoked meatloaf , that is comfort food at it's best.

gary