PDA

View Full Version : swabbing between shots....

canuck4570
04-23-2007, 02:35 PM
I load my rnd ball with patches soaked in machine cuttintg oil and water and let drie.....should I swab with the same patches between shots or should I use something else to clean the powder residue....

montana_charlie
04-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Back when I used RB in ML matches, I didn't swab between shots...exactly.
I ran a bronze brush down the barrel, turned it once at the bottom, and pulled it out. Then I held the rifle muzzle down and tapped the side to let the loosened dry stuff fall out.

My patches were lubed with Crisco.
CM

Bigjohn
04-24-2007, 04:02 AM
I last shot a M/L Match this past Sunday, the weather here has been rather dry and there is less than 50% moisture in the air.

The match required 3 sighters and 10 for score and I fired all 13 without swabbing or cleaning part way through the match. Patches were moistened with a local brand patch lubricant/bore solvent and I blew down the barrell just after taking the shot.

I used the same liquid to clean the barrel at the end of the day; not too sure of what the maker puts into his product but it has the consistency of dishwashing liquid and the same feel. I tend to think there is more in it than just dishwashing liquid. He keeps it a trade secret.

IMHO when you load the patched Rnd Ball you are effectively swabbing the bore, lightly if any. With soft fouling, a moist lubed patch fitting the bore closely it has to shift some of the crud.

John.

flyingstick
04-24-2007, 08:05 AM
I don't swab between loads anymore. My RB and patch are tight, and like BigJohn, I have a tendancy to believe if your patch is thick enough it will wipe the residue everytime you load. It does'nt make any differance in my accuracy.

d.thomson
04-24-2007, 08:39 AM
I swab between shots, my reason for doing it is because you don't want to fill your patent breach with crud. Delayed ignition. My 2 cents

curator
04-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Swabbing the bore may not be necessary when you are hunting and you only need to load a follow-up shot. If you want serious accuracy, swabbing between shots is necessary. A slightly damp patch on a proper sized jag will prevent the buildup of fouling and provide consistant barrel condition, shot after shot. Consistancy is essential for accuracy, assuming your componants are correct. Some competition shoots involve 40 or 50 shots. The guys that wipe their bores after each shot take home the prizes.

Bigjohn
04-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Like all other firearms a muzzle loaded rifle is as tempermental as any other; each seems to have its own preferences.

I will openly admit that I get beaten in matches regularly and it may be due to my loading methods.

Patent breeches are another issues as well and I think most will use what ever method they can to get their rifles to shoot the best it can.

Keep on experimenting fellow shooters,
after all, that is half the fun of shooting,

John.

mooman76
04-24-2007, 10:51 PM
I usually don't swab but My 32 being so small, the pattern opens up after a few shots if I don't. Try both ways and go with where ever your accuracy goes.

Blammer
04-24-2007, 10:52 PM
I wet patch and dry patch after every third shot, otherwise I won't be able to get the fourth shot down the tube... :D

50 Caliber
04-25-2007, 08:33 PM
I have to swab between shots as the ball/patch combo I use is very tight. Other wise wont get the next shot in.

canuck4570
04-27-2007, 10:52 AM
ok thanks for answers..... but I am still in the dark.... let say I decide to swab between shots.... can I use the same kind of patche that I use to load my lead ball to swab...( I use cutting oil and whater in my patches ) or should I use a patche with some cleaning solvent.

ktw
04-27-2007, 11:04 AM
The point of swabbing between shots is to clear powder fouling. Water is a black powder fouling solvent. A lot of other things will also work.

I tend to use baby wipes for between shot wiping convenience at the range. A liquid patch lube or plain water work fine in the field. Rubbing alcohol in a little spray bottle is good if you want to carry something a little more aggressive and less prone to freezing up in cold weather.

-ktw

mooman76
04-27-2007, 11:53 AM
If it works on your patched balls it should work to swab also. I have heard of people using windex to clean with so that should work to as it is mostly water anyway.

50 Caliber
04-27-2007, 01:22 PM
I use SPIT! Works for me. and have never ending supply.:-D

canuck4570
04-27-2007, 03:38 PM
thank you all....will give it a trie.....

catboat
05-07-2007, 10:39 AM
When line shooting in flintlock competition, I always run a damp patch up/down the bore after each shot.

The first is safety. If there is a leftover glowing ember, it snuffs it before loading more blackpowder,

The second is uniformity. I didn't write I CLEANED the bore after each shot-I SWABBED the bore (usually up/down twice, may do three times if I feel a tight spot. I swap to a subjectively felt "smooth" bore, not a cleanliness level.). This removes most of the residue, and keeps the bore residue at a steady state condition.

If you don't swab/clean between shoots to maintain bore uniformity, the increased crud in the bore will actually cause your shots to gradually "ladder up" and print higher and higher (more pressure>more velocity.). The key to any shooting sport's accuracy is uniformity of all variables.

All the top shooters I shoot with at flintlock shoots ALWAYS swab after each shot.

I use mixture of rubbing alcohol (or non-dilute auto antifreeze), generic Murphy's oil soap (non dilute), and store bought hydrogen peroxide. Ratio isn't critical, but it's around 2:2:1 (alcohol:murphy's:hydrogen peroxide). I use a cotton flannel patch (cut from yard goods purchased material). My bench rod has a protective collar on it, so as to protect the muzzle from wear. I use a brass jag on the tip which serves as both my cleaning jag and final bullet seater.

Dampen the patch, don't soak it. If you can squeeze liquid from it ith your fingers, it's too wet.

I do a full cleaning when I am done for the day, then oil with Marvel Mystery oil.

For winter shooting or hunting, I like using higher levels of non-dilute auto antifreeze and oil soap. For hunting, I don't use peroxide. It is a strong oxidizer (causes rust). I don't want to have a patched ball with peroxide sitting in my bore all day.

PS. these comments are referring to blackpowder (Geof fffg in a 50 cal flinter). If you use non-blackpowder substitutes for propellant, you may not need to do this. I'm not up to speed with the optimal way to shoot those type of powders.

KCSO
05-07-2007, 11:09 AM
In mathc shooting I swab 1 damp patch twice down and up and one dry patch once down and up. The maint thing is that whatever you do you do it the same every time. I only use holy black so I have no advise on phony bp.

BIG BEAR
05-13-2007, 12:47 AM
CANUCK.45-70, thought I.B. wasclose to ILE PERROT??????, anyways,you can probably find a few good places to shoot off MONTEE- WILSON,. at least there was when i shot there ,30 years ago. when i was a kid,we had deer on ile-perrot. ( i to am 59 may 18.1947) now i hunt 10 minutes from my home on central VANCOUVER ISLAND. shoot cast.30-06, cast.303 and just started back into black powder. BIG BEAR (GLENN)