PDA

View Full Version : .38 Special buckshot loads

David LaPell
06-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Does anyone here load .38 Special buckshot loads, I don't have a use for them other than maybe for fun and a snake load.

subsonic
06-14-2012, 02:42 PM
There was a thread about this a while back that had some info in it. Maybe search "buckshot" in this forum. I don't remember much about it.

SciFiJim
06-15-2012, 02:26 AM
If you search for "Buckshot" on this forum you will get overloaded. He has over 10k posts!

You might search for "cat sneeze loads" or "gallery loads" or "round ball" and .38 special.

subsonic
06-15-2012, 12:23 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=152019&highlight=buckshot

MasS&W
06-15-2012, 02:02 PM
I've actually had a fair amount of success with making shotshells out of .38 special. However, I didn't use buckshot. I alternated between using .177 cal steel shot from my air rifle, and using number 7 1/2 birdshot. The birdshot obviously weighed more and more fit in the case.

MasS&W
06-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Oh, well may as well tell you how I did it. I put about 3 grains of fast burning powder in the case (bullseye, unique, herco). I put a decently sized piece of tin foil over the powder (being sure to pack it down a fair amount and seal the powder in), followed by as much shot as could fit, sealed off with some wax. I kept it in the first chamber in my model 15 for hiking. I duplicated the load in my .357, obviously with more shot. Blows itty-bitty holes in 2L bottles at about 5 feet. Be careful of ricochets, especially with the steel shot (PLEASE!!!)

jh45gun
06-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Steel bb's in a handgun .NO THANKS.

Ben
06-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Nope....No steel BB's down the barrel of any of mine either.

Ben

GabbyM
06-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Might look into round ball laods and double round ball laods. .360" ball ran through a .358" size die. Have never tried them myself.

MasS&W
06-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Yeah, hence why I switched to the lead bbs. Steel BBs killed snakes good until I realized the potential danger of ricochets. No bore damage at all though.

williamwaco
06-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Might look into round ball laods and double round ball laods. .360" ball ran through a .358" size die. Have never tried them myself.

Many years ago, I made rat/indoor practice loads with one 000 buckshot in the .38 special case. 000 buckshot are .360 in diameter and work perfectly "as-is" no sizing or lube is necessary.

I used 1.5 grains of Bullseye to minimize penetration but you could use more if you want more power. They weigh only about 70 grains so you could load two or three if you want. ( You might need a .357 case to hold 3. I don't remember.

I used a .357 gas check seated open-side-in and crimped in place with a slight roll crimp to hold them in the case but that is probably optional. I expect the roll crimp alone would hold them in.

You can get barely passable accuracy up to about 5 yards with one ball. Of course with more, you will get a pattern.

If I were loading for snakes, I would use something much smaller, 6, 7.5, or 8. Of course with these, the gas check to hold them in is mandatory.

BUT:
If you are really serious, get a box of these.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/313962/speer-empty-shot-capsules-38-special-box-of-50

Oyeboten
06-16-2012, 11:33 PM

Yes, this works well, but of course when using two Balls, one must be sure one is still alright with the Loading Density, and, that the lower Ball shall not drop down against the Powder, or one could have an inconvenient overpressure condition.

When I was doing this ( using two, 360-ish Balls, run through a .358 Die first ) I was putting them over Black Powder, with the Powder volume calculated to offer good compression.

Worked so well, at fifteen Yards in a three inch Barrel Revolver, both Balls would go through the same Hole. Might have still held true for quite a it farther, I don't know.

I have not tried it with Smokeless since I have no method of ensuring that the bottom Ball will for sure stay up against the top one.

Thin Man
06-17-2012, 07:55 AM
David,

I used to load a pair (2) of 75 gr. WC boolits (Lyman mold 358101) in a case over a light charge of fast powder, regulate the powder charge as if using a single 150 gr. boolit (same weight). At close range you will print a "snake eyes" pattern. Point of impact (relative to point of aim) can be adjusted by testing various powder charges. Reliable hits on snakes were a roll of the dice so I tried another approach.

If snakes are your real concern (man I REALLY hate them...) try a Speer shot cup full of #12 shot, has been the most effective snake killer I have found. Search for a vendor named Ballistic Products to find #12 shot. It's not cheap, but you could sell off several pounds on the Swapping an Selling forum on this site, suspect you would get more takers than you could supply. Good luck.

Thin Man

Combat Diver
06-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Remington used to make either a .38 or .357 multi ball load several years ago. Guess it didn't sell well. For snakes I use the Speer shot capsuls with #9 shot (smallest I have) or in .44 Spl #6 or 9. Killed couple squirrels with the .38 shotshells this past season (15 yds) using a TC Contender 10" hotshot bbl, choke stops the spin for a effective handgun pattern.

CD

GP100man
06-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Search "snakeshot" or "shotshells" I think you`ll find what your lookin for .

GabbyM
06-18-2012, 08:05 AM
(Snakeshot)
Have never had any trouble blasting rattle snakes plum full of holes with single boolits. Seams out in the prairie dog towns they are always coiled and looking right at me when we see them. Range is usually four to seven feet. They usually start there bumble bee rattle when you get that close. They just want you to go away but I’m all in for killing snakes. We always asked the ranchers about killing snakes and everyone we ask replied “kill em all”.

Problem with boolits is there is a very real ricochet danger. I’ve noticed afterwards I took shots at angles to vehicles and possibly even my shooting buddies that weren’t all that advisable. Something about staring down a five foot rattler at four feet that zones in your situation awareness. On one snakey day I personally shot four snakes. Our group of nine got a dozen total. One of the shooters got five without moving from his shooting bench chair. 22-250 with 50gr V-Max a couple feet off the muzzle will totally explode a rattler, we discovered.

I’d highly recommend the Speer shot capsules for snakes. Mostly for the lessened ricochet danger. Then you’ll also be able to hit a non coiled snake. I purchased a box of capsules in 44 caliber but haven’t gone out west p-dog shooing since. Have seen them used and snakes were shredded pretty good. Fellows tended to shoot several times with the 12 shot caps but one would of done it. However with three you’re fo-sho. All five from a 38 snubby and you just don't like snakes. There is nothing to butcher for the barbecue grill if that gives you an idea. Neither is there anything left that won’t fall through the grills grate after a couple rounds of big bore boolits. I’d guess on average a boolit will enter and exit four times on a coiled snake. 9mm just punched holes through wile the 44 and 45’s open them up dramatically. Never tried full wad cutters in a 38 though. Or round ball.

JIMinPHX
06-18-2012, 08:14 AM
For snakes, I too have used the Speer shot capsules with #9 shot. You can find loading data in the Speer loading manual. I found that if I went 0.1gr below max listed data, my patterns got much better, even out of a derringer. I don't remember which powder I used. It's probably been about 6 or 8 years since I've fooled with them.

MtGun44
06-19-2012, 08:35 PM
When I was a teen, a friend loaded 3 round balls in a .38 Spl (maybe .357, I forget) and
called it his "hockshop load" --- three balls.

Bill