PDA

View Full Version : Big change in 44 mag

crabo
06-14-2012, 08:56 AM
The last time I loaded plinking ammo for my S&W PC 44 mag, I filled a 30 cal ammo can with them and I just finished them up.

My load is: mixed brass, (for plinkers),
WW large pistol primer,
12 grains of HS6,
H&G 503 lubed with CRed, sized .431. (the alloy was either air cooled or water dropped WWs)

This has consistently given me under 2" at 50 yards, and whenever I would look down my barrel, it would be bright, shiny and clean.

I looked at my primer stash and I had at least 3000 Mag Tech primers. I loaded 200 with the WW primer and 100 with the Mag Tech. I notice that the rounds loaded with the WW primers were more accurate, and they were noticably louder. I know primers can make a big difference in group sizes from previous experiments. The difference in loudness really surprised me. (I check the powder drop regularly.)

When I looked in my barrel at the end of the night, I had leading where I never had any before. I had not cleaned the bore in the last 500 rounds, and it did not need it before this session.

The alloy in my pot right now is 50/50 pure and W/W. I have had great success with that alloy, air cooled, lubed with CRed at 1500 fps in my guide gun.

Any thoughts? I am thinking about cleaning the barrel and shooting a couple hundred of the WW primed load to see what happens with my barrel before I start all over with this load.

Shuz
06-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Ya might pull a boolit from those already loaded to see if what the hardness is.

geargnasher
06-15-2012, 03:44 PM
What Shuz said. Might also try a box with CCI 300 primers and all else the same as the Magtech primer loads that leaded.

Gear

crabo
06-26-2012, 11:52 PM
I need to load a bunch of .44s and since I don't have time to experiment what is causing the leading, I just put a coat of 45/45/10 on the sized and lubed boolits that I had already cast and lubed with CRed.

Should solve the problem.

Jack Stanley
06-27-2012, 09:00 AM
With the only diffence of leading and not being the presence or lack of a W-W primer . I would wonder if the Magtech primer is performing anywhere close to what the W-W is .

To use up the Magtech you may have to consider a little more load developement . Perhaps the addition of a little more lube will fix it as well .

Jack

crabo
06-28-2012, 02:48 AM
I'm thinking about using the mag techs for 45 acp and stick with the WW for my 44.

TomBulls
06-28-2012, 07:27 AM
What is a "WW" primer? Are you talking about Winchester brand primers? Or... Something else?

-thomas

Jack Stanley
06-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Yes , Winchester primer is what I meant when using "W-W" in this case . My apologies , normally I don't use acronyms just to aviod problems .

Jack