PDA

View Full Version : LEE vs Lyman manuals

mac1911
06-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Up dated: I should have been more specific, sorry. Which book for cast boolits? Thank you

For the 1st book which would you recomend

UNIQUEDOT
06-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Lyman! although it wouldn't hurt to have both as there is some very interesting and useful info for calculating cast boolit reduced loads in the Lee book.

Texas Tinker
06-14-2012, 08:54 AM
I think the Lyman manual has a little more variety (more options of powders, bullets) for starters. However, the best advice that I can offer is "Don't stop at one manual". I make it a habit to always consult multiple sources when I am doing research for a new load or cartridge.
I find reloading manuals readily available on ebay listings. Most can be found quite inexpensively. These work out especially well for me, because I am constantly looking for older and older manuals that contain data for the curio and relic firearms that are my addiction these days.

Tinker:coffee:

btroj
06-14-2012, 09:12 AM
I have a few Lyman manuals and refer to them more than all others combined.
The Lee has some good info but I don't feel it is as complete or well laid out as the Lyman.

Guesser
06-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Lee does no testing and development of their own. They purchase the rights to compile and publish a compendium of most other manufacturers test data. Lyman, for the most part, tests their products in their labs. The Lee book is good, all books are good, but you need several to gain a cross section of the industry. And, they are great entertainment!!!!!

jlchucker
06-14-2012, 12:21 PM
I've had several editions of both Lyman and Lee. I started with a Speer manual that came with a set put together by RCBS. I've owned a couple of editions of the Hornaday books, and once had the two-binder edition of the Sierra manual. I agree with everyone who says to have several manuals. Of all of the books that I have on my loading bench though, these days I use the Lyman editions 48 and 49 the most.

Wayne Smith
06-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Lee has a lot of information from powder companies. If you don't have that powder available to you or on your shelf you are out of luck.

Lyman all the way for choosing between those two.

C.F.Plinker
06-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Another vote for Lyman. The Lee reloading data is that of various powder manufacturers. Lee sorts it by bullet type and then by max load velocity. Unless you have access to the manufacturers data you don't know what bullet was used (much less brass and primer), what the overall length should be, or what barrel length was used to get the listed velocity. Lyman gives all of the information needed to duplicate their load.

I have both the Lee 2nd Edition and several of the Lyman books (48th edition, Pistol and Revolver Handbook, and Cast Bullet Handbook) as well as the Sierra Handbook and several printed books from powder manufacturers. My usual method is to start with the Lyman book then move to the Loadbook for that particular caliber. I use the latter because, like Lee, they are a compilation of both powder manufacturer data and bullet manufacturer data but they include the information on brass, primer, powder, overall lenght and barrel length from each source. This way I can see how the data matches up to the components and firearms I will be using.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-14-2012, 04:12 PM
"Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook" for sure !!!!

The Lee book is a close second, especially if you
are using Lee's Disk powder measures.

also, get as many reloading manuals as possible,
look at garage sales or thrift stores, or from
other hobbyists like us.
Jon

1Shirt
06-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Lyman is an excellent (probably the best) for the basics and for refresher. That said, ALL of the other reloading manuals have merit, including the Lee's. I collect old Lyman manuals, as well as Speer, and Hornady, and it can become sort of a fetish.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

smokemjoe
06-14-2012, 04:50 PM
I grew up using all the now old loading books, Seems like they were all repeats and not much for new loads but were good books, Herters was used also, I do like the new Lee as it gives alot of different loads and disk Nos. for my Lee 1000 press for hand guns, Joe

Bret4207
06-15-2012, 06:05 AM
For cast, Lyman 3rd, Lyman 2nd, Lyman 1st, RCBS, Ken Waters "Pet Loads". Lee isn;t even considered. For jacketed, Sierra, Hornady, Lyman, Nosler, Speer- all used interchangeably- and "PET LOADS"!

dragon813gt
06-15-2012, 06:12 AM
Lyman is good for cast loads. Other than that I really don't like it. It's the absolute last manual I refer to. Lee's manual explains the basics in an easier to understand fashion. You can ignore Richard Lee constantly congratulating himself in it. It also has the largest variety of loads. It's not bullet specific like you get with the manufacturer's manuals. I use Hodgon's website and Hornady's manual more but that's because those are what I'm working with.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

largom
06-15-2012, 07:18 AM
For cast, Lyman 4rd, Lyman 2nd, Lyman 1st, RCBS, Ken Waters "Pet Loads". Lee isn;t even considered. For jacketed, Sierra, Hornady, Lyman, Nosler, Speer- all used interchangeably- and "PET LOADS"!

I agree with Bret 100%

Larry

mac1911
06-15-2012, 08:27 AM
I should have been more specific......1st book for cast boolits

Horace
06-15-2012, 08:48 AM
"More is Better" Just picked up a 1934 Belding & Mull Hand Book.

Good reading,
Horace

kywoodwrkr
06-15-2012, 01:15 PM
I should have been more specific......1st book for cast boolits
Lyman, Lyman and Lyman.:bigsmyl2:
The Lee is useless as far as I am concerned.
Got my Ver II because it came with the small reloading press I use for belling case mouths .
The two together were cheaper than the press alone-that tell you anything?
If I want the loads from/with Hodgdon, I'll access their website and get current info, not ten year old information.
The only thing I found useful in VI was the reduced load information. Absent in II.
The Lyman cast books have a lot of valuable information in them from my viewpoint as it relates to cast in specific.
JMHO

geargnasher
06-15-2012, 03:31 PM
I got the Lee 2nd ed. book on sale for $11, I think it was worth it, if only for the cast boolit data for .30-'06 and .30-30 with abnormally slow powders.

The Lyman books are the "best" IMO, but you need a variety. When I sit down to tackle a new project with cast boolits, I get in front of my computer with six or eight reloading data books and a notepad, and between Google and the written data, I get a "range" of where to start and what powder will do what I'm looking for. Relying on one or two books is folly.

Gear

sharps4590
06-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Lyman first, all others second. I do have a fairly high regard for my RCBS cast bullet book.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Lyman first, all others second. I do have a fairly high regard for my RCBS cast bullet book.

I recently got the 1980's version of the RCBS cast bullet book.
it's OK, but very limited load data.
Jon

mac1911
06-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Im finding little load data on line for cast boolits, especially for rifle. Im just getting into casting for rifle. 1st up is my 1903a3 I slugged the barrel finally and came up with .300 and .3085- .3089 measureing the slug. Right now I have no load data for cast boolits other than 45acp and 38/357 out of the hornady 7th. I must have got lucky right out of the box. Lee TL molds for each and LLA for lube. Good plinking rounds that shoot better than I can and very little leading no resizeing. If things go well with the a3 I will move onto the nagant.

Bret4207
06-16-2012, 07:48 AM
For plinking in the 06 or anything near that capacity( the big Rooskie, 8x57, 308, 7.65x53, etc) use either 13.o Red Dot or 16.0 2400. Simple, safe and they work.

Char-Gar
06-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Yep...Lyman

FergusonTO35
06-18-2012, 03:58 PM
If I had to have just one I would go with the Lee. To give you an idea of its importance it is always atop the toilet tank in my bathroom. For specific loads and calibers I would go with the Lyman. Some of the Lee data is inaccurate. I do not mean unsafe, but inaccurate in the sense that it doesn't match what other manufacturers list. Some loads contained within are conservative to the point of uselessness.

Still, the book is chock full of good information and a real bargain. For the beginning reloader it spells everything out so that anyone can understand it. When I started reloading I purchased the Lee Anniversary kit, some dies, and components. I opened the big box from Midway and started going through all my new goodies. Within two hours I had a box of .38 Special and a box of .30 WCF loaded, both of which shot great.

joec
06-18-2012, 04:08 PM
I have both the Lee 2nd and Lyman 49th and several others as well as the pamphlets that sell for about $10 on a particular caliber. I like them all and cross check loads between them settling on the average where they are different. I do however only load pistol ammo as my rifle is also uses a pistol round (45 Colt).

Ed in North Texas
06-20-2012, 07:29 AM
For cast, Lyman 3rd, Lyman 2nd, Lyman 1st, RCBS, Ken Waters "Pet Loads". Lee isn;t even considered. For jacketed, Sierra, Hornady, Lyman, Nosler, Speer- all used interchangeably- and "PET LOADS"!

Another vote for Ken Water's "Pet Loads" in addition to other manuals. I've also been using "Load Data" a lot recently, an on-line compilation of many manuals and sources.

Ed

FergusonTO35
06-20-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm planning to join loaddata.com soon. It has a wealth of loads created by gun writers I admire.

Cowboy T
06-20-2012, 11:05 AM
For me, it's mostly Lyman for cast boolits, with Lee for a backup and for the few reduced rifle loads that I do. That, or C. E. Harris's "The Universal Load" of 16gr of 2400 with the 150gr cast boolit in most .30-caliber rifle cases.

One Gun Andy
06-20-2012, 07:23 PM
IMO, the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is essential for all cast bullet shooters, especially new casters. That said, I wholeheartedly agree with those who advocate a variety of manuals. I use numerous manuals, old and new, because, as suggested above, each manual is written to support that company's particular bias - i.e. products. Some manuals are amazingly scant in the information they offer. The Lyman manual, on the other hand, is diverse and wide-ranging making it a very good first choice for your bullet casting library. Be safe and ENJOY!