PDA

View Full Version : 71/84 Mausers

Beekeeper
06-13-2012, 09:45 PM
OK to start off I will eat a little crow.
Had a chance today to dig out the original slugs from when I slugged the barrels of my 71/84"s.The sluggs read .433 land, and .449 groove
A lot of water has passed under since I made them and old age makes you forget." No excuse on my part just fact"

Any way in the next 5 pictures I give a representation of the barreled receivers when I got them, the completed 71/84's and a couple of Martini/Mauser guns I built to play with.
With the exception of the barrels and receivers there no matching number parts so everything was hand fit to get the smoothest action possible. ( lot of stone work)
The furniture is of my own making from pictures I gathered off of the internet.
The wood is furniture / bannister grade walnut from the local lumberyard. ( here it is take it or leave it, I took it)
The only power tools used were a saber saw to cut the basic shape ( leave lots of room as a saber saw blade likes to wander) , an electric drill to drill the tang screw and action screw holes , and a finish router to cut the magazine groove.
I tried to hand drill the magazine tube hole and messed it up so bad I had to do a duffle repair to the blank and then route the channel.
All other work , ie: inletting and shaping of the stock was done by hand with simple hand tools, mallet chisels and rasps!
All deminisions were taken from pictures I found on the internet by eye and I guess and by gosh.

The Martini/Mausers are Gahendra parts rifles that had seives for barrels . Again all furniture is of my own manufacture.
Maybe this will dispell some of the finger pointing and I heard and they said.

Since I made them the bottom 71/84 has only been shot with smokeless and the top one only with BP.

beekeeper

Thumbcocker
06-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Wow!!

adrians
06-14-2012, 06:51 AM
very nice,,,, :awesome:

elk hunter
06-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Beekeeper,

Nice!

You say you started with barreled receivers, can I ask where you got bolts for them? I have six barreled receivers that would make interesting projects if I could find bolts for them.

Beekeeper
06-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Elk Hunter,
Almost all of the parts came from "Old Western Scrounger" but that was several years ago. They may still have them but not on their web site.
I would E-Mail them or call them and ask.
I used the Numrich part numbers for the parts I needed as that seem to be the standard everyone uses.
Numrich has some parts and a company in North Dakota called "Jack First" has some parts.
Jack First is not on the webb so it is snail mail or phone for them.

Good luck!

beekeeper

Beekeeper
06-14-2012, 03:57 PM
WoW!!!
And here I thought everyone that owns one would be all over my case.
What a shame as I had all the answers written down,
Shucks back to the drawing board I guess.

beekeeper

water bug
06-15-2012, 07:29 AM
Great rifles and great job , beekeeper. I too revitalized a Gehendra, came out very nicely. Guess I am a few years late on the 71/84's . Bolt is way beyond my skills to make. BUT a Gehendra action with a 71/84 barrel??? Very tempting. WB

swheeler
06-15-2012, 09:28 AM
BK; very nice! You must be a very patient man.

Beekeeper
06-15-2012, 09:48 AM
swheeler,
For me it is a kind of therapy.
My wife has Alzheimers and I often need something to do to keep from punching holes in the walls or kicking the tires off of the car.
The car is actually happy to see me now and doesn't flinch every time the garage door opens.
It sometimes takes me over a year to make a stock and sometimes I can do it in a couple of days, depends on how well I can zone out while doing the work.
With amonitor on to hear what the wife is doing I get an hour every day to load ammo or beat on a stick of wood.

beekeeper

water bug
06-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Does anyone have a Mauser 71/84 bolt to sell? OR Has anyone made a bolt or have machining drawings? There are several boltless rifles for sale out there. WB