PDA

View Full Version : BFR cylinder length

paul h
06-13-2012, 07:29 PM
I've gotten bit by the 500 linebaugh bug. This is one of those silly "practical" decisions. I'm looking to get a mold made for my 500 jeffrey that will cast 400 and 450 gr pb bullets. I know it'll be cheaper to just get a 500 JRH and a couple molds and a sizer die, but I want to be able to launch .512" bullets.

I was thinking of picking up a blued bisley and a Story 5 shot cylinder. Then I figured, heck for the same price I can just get a 454, 475 or 50 ae bfr, it's already got the 5 shot cylinder, is timed as a 5 shot and it would cost about the same as a bisley plus the 5 shot cylinder. Then it would just be a re-chamber and barrel job.

But what I don't know is if the BFR cylinder is long enough for a 1.80" COL plus clearance. I know there are quite a few bfr shooters out here. I know there is the 475L bfr, but not sure if it has an FA length cylinder, or original linebaugh length cylinder.

subsonic
06-13-2012, 10:22 PM
1.850", give or take with recessed case heads.

44man
06-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Paul, get the .500 JRH for sheer pleasure.
For the larger boolits get the Linebaugh.
I would not go the AE route, too tricky for a revolver.

paul h
06-14-2012, 11:55 AM
1.85 is perfect.

I think the best plan is get a 6" 475 Linebaugh with a spare cylinder. I'll take off the barrel and have the 475 cylinder, and send the frame and second cylinder to Jack Huntington to have the cylinder re-chambered, 50 cal barrel fit and his grip frame mod w/ mikarta grips.

It'll definately be a 500 Linebaugh. I really don't need a 500 and a 475, it's a want thing. Also with the 500L, the molds will be common with my 500 Jeffrey rifle.. This is a project that is at least a year out, I'm just looking at feasibility at this point. Looks like a go.

subsonic
06-14-2012, 12:09 PM
It's hard to beat the .500JRH for around $850 shipped.... so what if you can't shoot monster lead? And I beleive I may have an answer to shooting heavy lead, but still researching it.

paul h
06-14-2012, 12:26 PM
The heaviest I'd be shooting is 450gr. I'm considering molds in 335 gr wadcutter, 350 gr lfn, and 400 and 450 br w/ 80% meplats.

You're darn near talking me into a 500 JRH as the spare cylinder, barrel and rechamber work would pay for the gun.

subsonic
06-14-2012, 01:07 PM
The .500JRH will eat 450gr no problem. About 490gr is max to fit in it with Starline/Huntington brass.

Makes a lot of sense.... and why I own one!

If you're looking for one, let me know.

paul h
06-14-2012, 01:35 PM
I think the 500 JRH is taking hold. What I'd save in gunsmithing would pretty much cover a pair of 4 cavity accurate molds. What I'd like to do is get the gun from the factory with a spare barrel and extractor assy, send it to Jack for the gripframe mod and have the spare barrel and extractor cut down to 4".

Won't happen until next year, I better work on aquiring ww's this year as I can see myself going through 100#'s pretty quick just from load work.

saz
06-14-2012, 01:40 PM
I think the 500 JRH is taking hold. What I'd save in gunsmithing would pretty much cover a pair of 4 cavity accurate molds. What I'd like to do is get the gun from the factory with a spare barrel and extractor assy, send it to Jack for the gripframe mod and have the spare barrel and extractor cut down to 4".

Won't happen until next year, I better work on aquiring ww's this year as I can see myself going through 100#'s pretty quick just from load work.

IMHO I think the JRH is the ideal 500 out there. All the gentleman here that own one report excellent accuracy out of the box too.

And yes 100# of lead does go fast!

Whiterabbit
03-06-2014, 12:55 PM
I'm gonna bump this because of a conversation I had with magnum research. They told me that ONLY the 500S&W cylinder was special (carpenter steel? heat treat? They didn't say how it was special?), that the others cannot be opened up. The reference was specifically to 500 linebaugh, that there wouldn't be enough meat left to be safe.

Yet folks do this with custom ruger cylinders with are smaller diameter. (special steel?)

is it really true that "standard" MRI cylinders cannot be opened safely to 500 LB? That 500 LB conversions are all done with custom steel parts of special alloy?

And why are the 454 and 460 cylinders not made from this steel too? 65ksi is 65 ksi, that's ALOT of pressure in a handgun!

My curiosity is purely academic. I thought this thread would be a good place to ask as the discussion provides the proper context for the discussion I had with MRI and my open questions (that I do not want to ask to MRI due to the controversy over the 500LB cartridge)