PDA

View Full Version : Lee Dies - What do I need?

robertbank
04-23-2007, 12:28 PM
OK I have a M 14 that I intend to shoot a lot of cast 311291 boolits out of. I would like to hear from those with experience as to what combination of Lee dies do I need. Trying to figure out the best combination of Lee dies.

I figure I need:

Neck Sizing die - to use on my own brass
Full Length Sizing die - to use on range pick up brass
Bullet seater
Collet crimp die (FCD ?)

Trying to figure out the right Lee combo is giving me a head ache. Suggestions.

Help!

Take Care

Bob

versifier
04-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Bob,
It really depends on how tight your chamber is. If it will cycle neck sized reloads, you're golden. I don't have access to an M 14, but I have played with M1's and Garands. Many need FL sizing to feed properly, and some need small base. If you've already been shooting it, what have you been using? If not, I would keep my fingers crossed and buy the Deluxe set (FL sizer, Collet sizer, seater) and a FCD to go along with it, and think positively. If it turns out you need one, Lee doesn't make SB dies that I am aware of, but I have been very happy with RCBS offerings.

robertbank
04-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have been using a friends Dillon Die set but, since I have been pleased with my .303 Lee dies I thought I would stick to Lees. I like your suggestion and will place an order. I have been full length resizing all the cases since they have been once fired range pick-up, mostly out of the Win Model 70 the Red Riders use at the detachments.

The Norinco likes cast boolits. If I could shoot better the gun would no doubt follow .:mrgreen: What is that about the shooter not the arrow....In any event just waiting on some surplus powder and then I am going to give the gun a good run before deciding on stock, bedding and tampering with some parts I am told that will do wonders for the guns ability to match my steller abilities.:-D

As it is I am ready for any attack the hoards of cardboard targets want to raise.

Take Care

Bob