PDA

View Full Version : lead leaks

Catch
06-13-2012, 02:48 PM
I have two bottom pour casting heaters. One is a Lee and one a Lyman. Both have developed leaks at the bottom spout that are a pain in the buttstock......I have tried cleaning, polishing and even turning the control rod in its seat with some valve grinding compound. They still leak.........................
Has anyone solved this problem and if so would you share your ideas and possible solutions? Thanks for your help.... Catch :groner:

Powellcole5490
06-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Well I'm probablly not understanding exactly the problem, but with my Lee 4 20 pot I have to make sure the screw on top of the handle "thing-a-ma-jig" isn't too loose and then I also turn the metal rod with a screw driver. Seems to stop the leaks I have....Hope this helps.

Moonie
06-13-2012, 03:42 PM
adding weight to the rod has been known to help as well.

ncbearman
06-13-2012, 03:59 PM
I had to take the rod out and wire brush it back down to it's original size. Also, once I committed it to casting fluxed, clean lead sir dripsalot disappeared.

Freightman
06-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Never never smelt lead in your bottom pour pot, best way I know of to get them to drip.

45-70 Chevroner
06-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Never never smelt lead in your bottom pour pot, best way I know of to get them to drip.

+1 for Freightman. Use a seprate pot to smelt your lead(to make ingots) I like a large pot one that holds at least 50# or more, I use a large cast iron pot over a wood fire or a large propane burner camp stove ( never ever hit the side of a cast iron pot with anythink when it has hot melted lead in it ). I hear a lot about turkey friers but have never used one.